Ensign
# 1 game launcher
02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
I am having trouble with the game launcher it keeps saying its auto updating and it wont connect at all and ive tried everything i know to fix it. please help
Career Officer
# 2
02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Have you tried to replace the launch .exe file? You can get the latest version from the link in the first post of this stickied thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=505501
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Ensign
# 3
02-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I tried the file replace for the launcher but it did not work, oh and I was in the game and got booted and I am now experiencing the launcher issue.

Thanks

Checked the task manager processes and found crypticerror.exe and gameclient.exe running, killed them and was able to start the launcher correctly.

The game immediately crashed so I am trying a reinstall.

Downloaded from Fileplanet, first try was the direct download, the first update was 2gb+, stopped about half way and when restarted went to the patching thing and stuck there, in other words it never restarted the file download, I will let it set longer this time, the first try was about two mins and if it does not restart I will submit a ticket.

Ok the download has restarted we will see how the game does if it finishes, lol.

With the new download and update it is working so far, I will edit this post if anything comes up.

Last edited by harhead; 02-13-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Commander
# 4
02-12-2013, 07:28 PM
The worst thing about this game is its launcher. Serious Cryptic, this needs looking into. Even on my squeaky clean laptop, on a 20Mbit connection, it seemed content to sit there for 15 minutes before it even bothered to try and collect a patch since I had missed the last one.

For the OP. another thing to try is right click the launcher link and run it in XP compatibility mode (SP2 I think (providing you're on a OS above windows xp)).

This was the trick I used to get working after leaving the game for about 6+ months. nothing else I did worked, replacing the exe, fussing with the router, nada.

I have known people in my fleet just give up on the game because they could not figure out why the launcher would fail.
Empire Veteran
# 5
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I might just go play some other non cryptic game after today this account server seems to be dead in the water and got like 20 different error messages from the launcher. Nothing else I connect too seems to have a problem though.

Edit: Yep been about 3 hours now since this problem started I must be the only person having this problem today

Last edited by zeuxidemus001; 02-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.