Ensign
# 161
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaku View Post
This is a disappointing and somewhat puzzling decision.

In my experience, for all its occasional missteps STO provides a good gameplay experience and is administered by a development team that cares about the quality of this product. I hope you take a moment to reflect on this decision and consider the ramifications of this change on the ability of players like myself to balance their responsibilities to their fleets with their desire to play Foundry content - including as a team-based, fleet activity.
Well said.

I'm certainly in the "Opposed to the removal of FM's" group. I would invite a scaling reward of the FM's in accordance with the other rewards, but the outright removal at this point seems arbitrary and inflammatory with little explanation as to the 'real' reason/need for it?
I sincerely hope we don't see Fleet Mark Packs showing up on the C-Store shortly after this.

I see 16 pages of people freaking out at the idea, hours after it was posted on the test server notes...
This is going to be the topic from hell once all the casuals log in during the course of the following week.

Anyhow, just another 2 bits to toss into the rapidly filling pot...
Career Officer
# 162
02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaku View Post
..Would it not be wiser to simply introduce a scaling FM reward as well?

A scaling fleet mark reward would devalue timed minimum-duration dilithium farming missions and EC grinders without introducing a structural disincentive for fleets to play these missions.
That right there is whats needed accross the board on all missions, be it solo, 2man, 5man, 10man or 20+. Have a base say 22 (based on omega marks from optionals gained) for solo, multiply that by .5% for every person on the team:

2man - foundry - 33marks
5man - foundry/pvp/stf - 66marks
10man - fleet actions/"adventure" zones- 120marks
20man - fleet actions (elite)/fleetbase defence - 240 marks

This would be a more fair and reasonable way to promote fleet teaming.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 163 Food for thought?
02-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Too bad this change wasn't introduced gradually. It's because of this volatility that the forums can be such a caustic environment.

Has Cryptic considered scaling fleet mark rewards for Foundry Play as well? Or a flat 25 marks per playthrough? Or immediately adding a reward of 150 Fleet marks for the PVP dailies? Or a scaling reward based on performance in PVP of Fleet Marks?

I could go on. I think the best systems work when they are easily accessible irrespective of what the player is doing. This way we can all do what we enjoy and be rewarded for it.

By the way, why don't FLEET actions give us FLEET Marks, when we complete them... why is there only a daily for that...?

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work Cryptic!
Leader of Quantum Gaming.
Join us @ www.quantum-collective.com!

Lieutenant
# 164
02-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Glad to see you guys listen to the forums again and just shoving stuff down our throats. Instead of.. I don't know taking a step back and figuring out what f you are doing. But whatever.. I'm just player around here..
Commander
# 165
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
how about a 1:1 conversion of Rom/Omega marks to fleet marks. Many are done with the rep system and do nothing with the marks except convert them to Dil. I have no need to Tag Epohh or do Romulan dailies or STF's anymore. This would help keep New Romulas alive after the majority of players hit tier 5 rep and buy the Rep store gear they want.
Captain
# 166
02-13-2013, 10:08 PM
I dont know why we bother posting stuff in the Tribble section... it just gets pushed to live the next day anyway.
Starfleet Veteran
# 167
02-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
how about a 1:1 conversion of Rom/Omega marks to fleet marks. Many are done with the rep system and do nothing with the marks except convert them to Dil. I have no need to Tag Epohh or do Romulan dailies or STF's anymore. This would help keep New Romulas alive after the majority of players hit tier 5 rep and buy the Rep store gear they want.
Man, I like that idea. But I don't see them giving a 1:1 ration. I'd settle for a 5:1 ratio.
STOP THE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
Ensign
# 168
02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
As much as I might not entirely agree with the choice I can see where they are coming from. That said I think there is more danger in this course than they had anticipated.

Small Guilds can not get their fleet base up. because of that they cant get the ships, Doff, gear for later in game. Because of that players look for new fleets or quit over the drama. Or quit over the fleet hunt. Or give up on playing cause the new fleet isnt the friends they had in the old one. Id say negative reactions are mor elikely than positive ones due to the forced nature of the change.

So, what id propose.

Reduce Fleet marks for the Reports quest or increase the time on it. For example make it 1:30 minute quest time. That will alter how people approach grinders which will make Foundry authors happy. Marks will still be avalible (at 1/3 of previous levels) but they will still be there.

Then look at the marks cost for top tier fleets and make some projections on if it will still be reasonable for a small fleet to accomplish it.

Additionally I love the idea of more actual dailies (Or perhaps 6 hour quests?) that give small amounts of marks. Perhaps your first round of Tholian Quests. Your first exploration of the day. Look at 2-3 hours as an average play time and figure out how to fill it with useful Mark things.

Thank you for making the game, please leave the Starbase within reach of those Fleets who might not have huge player bases.
Starfleet Veteran
# 169
02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Also December 13th was when the IOR went from a daily to a mission. When the patch notes first reflected the change they just said that the mission would reward 960 dilithium and only require one mission to complete. In the Sever Maintenance Thread when asked if the mission still awarded 50 FM Branflakes enthusiastically responded yes, making no mention that it would only be a temporary reward allowing all of us to believe it was a permanent addition to the Game.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=482871&page=2

I'm sorry, but with a mission rewarding FM from roughly August-Now, that is not temporary. Just like with Dilithium from STF's you cannot just take this away and not think the players would notice and be upset!
STOP THE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
Career Officer
# 170
02-13-2013, 11:20 PM
I really despise these "11th hour" nerfs that sneak in like this. Especially when there was no substitute to counter-balance the removal...like say 5 NEW Fleet Events...