Captain
I was playing my guitar and got to thinking as a foundry author what are the rewards for your time invested? I play with the foundry when i just really don't want to have to think to much and want to veg. ut compare that to playing an instrument in your leisure time where you are building on a skill that lasts a lifetime. What are the returns for poring hours into foundry projects? First MMO's are not forever they get shut down eventually second the menu system almost guarantees you will be way down on the list and will only get tens of plays.

Once again Cryptic decided to nerf the rewards. The result: a different kind of grinder will be at the top of the list and people will still feel animosity towards foundry authors especially since some have struck out against the grinders even 1starring them down the list. I don't think anything that has happened here has been good for the player base as a whole and more spotlights (like my staff picks idea) and a better menu system are what is really what is needed. My point is being a foundry author should be more rewarding. We are taking time that we could be using to earn in game rewards to create these missions. There should be some kind of reward for making good missions. Remember Cryptic is considering using ugc for exploration missions So foundry author will be doing their work for them and the foundry is not free to use you must purchase characters and slots.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 02-15-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Creating something of merit is its own reward.

The minute you begin to consider your Foundry creations have a 'worth' outside the pleasure your glean from crafting them is the moment you set yourself up for frustration and disappointment.

Paid creativity is constrained and largely thankless - it's a whoring of your skills to please those that may not even have similar tastes or likes to you - I'm sure there's many Foundry authors that find disappointment in a lack of 5 star reviews or relatively few play-throughs.

If making Foundry missions makes you happy then make them - if for some reason you feel unrewarded for your efforts then don't.

If Cryptic really does want to use Foundry missions as 'official' in-game content then that's a slightly different proposition, albeit one mired in QA issues - that bridge, as they say, is best crossed when and if you reach it.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
# 3
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
For tangible rewards we get dilithium tips I guess. I'm not also afraid to admit that I also find glee in watching my play numbers go up.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
If I were god... I would reward something that applies to the mission.. a b/doff of X custom race... or just dump in some player level consoles.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
As i said in the thread the OP originally posted this in, I don't particularly need a reward for creating missions. The fun I have working on missions is its own reward.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 6
02-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
For tangible rewards we get dilithium tips I guess. I'm not also afraid to admit that I also find glee in watching my play numbers go up.
I get that side of it I used to do a lot of amateur photography and posted my work online. Never made a dime for it but It was very satisfying. I guess my point is we need more exposure and perhaps some in game rewards may be nice too. I will have to wait until I pulish a mission to see how much glee I derive
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR