Captain
# 1 Bad Apples
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
It is a simple fact, just because this game is Star Trek does not mean it is somehow exempt from having some generally undesirable players and behavior. And yet Cryptic seems to be consistently surprised by this and does not take necessary steps to curb the behavior.

The Foundry reward system was redesigned because of the console click exploit. Now we have a slew of AFK missions publicly available and who knows how many are hidden with strange names for fleets to farm.

AFKers are becoming an increasing problem and this is surprising? If your game rewards AFK then some will AFK it is as simple as that.

And most recently the PvP tournament debacle caused by a heated debate over what is fair or balanced. This is a surprise even though not a single balance thread shares a singular opinion? Really?

Look, we don't lock our doors because everyone is a criminal. Nor is that why we close our doors. But you still general try not to encourage someone to rob you. It is time for Cryptic to come to the stunning realization that some people are motivated purely by self interest and don't give two hoots about the community or their neighbors.

I think it is time for Cryptic to take responsibility and to either empower players with the necessary tools to police ourselves or if that would not work to do it themselves.

For example with the PvP tornie rules. Those rules should have been set by Cryptic and not the community. Now it is true that someone out there would accuse them of favoritism or being bad but that does not matter. Something as, subjective, as that needs a final authority.

AFKers, we need some sort of report option perhaps with a community driven 'assistant GM' program or Tribunal system to curb the behavior. Punishment would be as simple as a temporary ban on joining the queues.

I really don't care what is done specifically but every time I hear a Cryptic employee state they are disappointed or surprised by the actions of players all I can do is picture Red from that 70s show and his signature comment.
Commander
# 2
01-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I sympathize with your point, but I don't entirely agree with it.

Okay, the AFK part is more or less entirely correct. People going AFK in PvP and PvE is a problem. Don't have a solution to that one.

It seems to me that the Foundry system being redesigned was unnecssary, and the "issue" was at least not as big a deal as AFK players.

People going AFK in TEAM missions is bad. It harms the other players heavily and its not fair.

People choosing to..erm, "grind" the Foundry Reward System....why is that bad? How does it severely harm other players?

The way I see it is, if it doesn't outright harm players in an irreparable way, why mess with it? The people who could care less grind it, good for them. The people in this community that actually care will play the missions for the nostalgia/fun/etc.

In fact, this method might be worse, because they're pretty much saying "your mission isn't good enough to be worth the time of others."

Better that all missions count and we just have a grinding altercation than hurt the people that care about this game by invalidating the worth of their creation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie
Captain
# 3
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
A system is designed with rewards and challenges.

What if new players start at 50 and get all purple MK XII gear of whatever kind they want?
You don't see how that might negatively impact the game?

Unintended shortcuts that give massive rewards for little challenge undermine the structure of the game. The question is what challenges/rewards seem appropriate and make for a healthy game.
Career Officer
# 4
01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
I play this game a lot and have only seen one AFKer EVER. This thread sounds like you encounter one more often than not....
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Captain
# 5
01-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomeight View Post
I play this game a lot and have only seen one AFKer EVER. This thread sounds like you encounter one more often than not....
I personally have encountered no fewer than 15 afkers.

THat's unique ID's.

I've seen the same people doing it time and again, despite reporting their behavior nothing ever happens.

I've seen Dev's in game on their own toons but I have never even HEARD of a GM being seen or any action that could even conceivably be attributed to a GM occurring.

I understand that GM's are staff and the budget for staff is primarily for the tech and development side but there NEEDS to be a boost to in game Cryptic presence.
Captain
# 6
01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
The solution to the afk problem for some instances is have a participation metric based on some complex algorithm including damage dealt, effective healing done, etc. and give a consolation prize like 5 Marks if a player doesn't meet the criteria. Would punish some people with a bad connection, but there is no solution that would be perfect. Another solution is to have afk attractors. No need for a Romulan Mark afk attractor since epohh raising is essentially one. Have borg raising or something similar to epohh raising would reduce the amount of afkers and people that dislike STFs in STFs. That way afkers would not be getting in the way of players doing challenging content like elite STFs.
Ensign
# 7
01-13-2013, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
The Foundry reward system was redesigned because of the console click exploit. Now we have a slew of AFK missions publicly available and who knows how many are hidden with strange names for fleets to farm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
A system is designed with rewards and challenges.

What if new players start at 50 and get all purple MK XII gear of whatever kind they want?
You don't see how that might negatively impact the game?

Unintended shortcuts that give massive rewards for little challenge undermine the structure of the game. The question is what challenges/rewards seem appropriate and make for a healthy game.
I also fail to see how this harms the game, or the community. You might as well as cry for removal of DOffs. I mean, people having alts with green/blue DOffs? Doing colonization missions to sell those colonists or resettle them for 500 dilithium? Getting contraband to sell or convert to dilithium? All it takes is just setting assigning the duty officers to do so! Blasphemy!

From my understanding, the time required to qualify for the Officer Reports is 15 minutes anyway, no?

So you can afk for 15 minutes, or you can play the game for 15 minutes. The end result is that they both take 15 minutes, and you can choose to do either. You are choosing to take the "hard" way, and complaining that people can (optionally) take the easy way. Cryptic may have mishandled the Officer Reports. Or perhaps they did the best possible thing and it's just growing pains.

But you are complaining that people can do something the easy way, and get the same reward as you, when you too, can do the same.

I mostly play Foundry for fun, rather than for the rewards (though I run a few Battleship Royal Rumble when I need some EC, Fleet Marks and/or Dilithium). I believe that is exactly what Cryptic intended. Encourage playing of Foundry missions, which is supposed to be a fun activity, not a grind.

So, the authors give you the choice of helping you grind when you need to, and you cry foul because they give you a choice to do things differently?

Challenges? I'll assume this is Officer Reports still. Either way, it takes minimum of 15 minutes. There no challenge in an afk grinder? As much as I love Battleship Royal Rumble, that's not particularly challenging either. ESTFs? Reputation I've decided that it's more or less not worth it to PUG it up with AFKers and have given up on it. If you want those MK XIIs from ESTFs, for examplethen the challenge is finding a group of people to do it with, rather than the game content.

I'm not even going to talk about Reputation (and dilithium) grind and the challenges involved (or lack thereof).

Last edited by bacfe; 01-13-2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: ate paragraphs
Captain
# 8
01-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Being AFK in a foundry mission does not look like much of an issue to me. I mean, these people don't harm anyone with this behavior, much in contrast to those people who constantly join and stay AFK in STFs and fleet actions to make other people work for them.

The reason these special foundry missions exists is fairly easy to explain: Cryptic only gave us a couple missions to get Fleet marks which get very boring extremely fast and most of them only reward very few marks, at least not enough to satisfy the insane demand of both starbases and embassies. Also it is near impossible to join a fleet actions with a KDF-character. Queues are almost always empty, even during the fleet events.

Therefore I'm sure these foundry missions would be abandoned immediatly if Cryptic would give the playerbase more missions which reward Fleet marks and up their amount by at least 100% across the board.
Captain
# 9
01-13-2013, 05:56 AM
I don't care that it is done. I care that it is surprising to anyone. I'd rather do BRR personally as it doesn't take me 15 minutes and I get a boatload of EC out of it too. Really that was just an example not a real issue or concern.
Ensign
# 10
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Isn't the solution simple...

If you haven't pressed a key for more than 2-3 mins you definitely aren't playing so you shouldn't qualify for the rewards. It's not likely that someone will place something to keep a key on their keyboard depressed.

If this was put in the we all could shut up and get on with playing.
Closed Thread