Commander
The way that Tactical Consoles work right now is silly: either you go all in on your primary energy type, or you're an idiot.

Limits choice in terms of weapons loadout, and a major factor in the whole DPS problem thingy.

Last edited by eraserfish; 02-13-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
02-13-2013, 07:28 AM
I once suggested that tactical consoles, along with every other boosting console, be subject to diminishing returns, in an attempt to even out the supreme advantage of high tac console ships by levelling the playing field, and also open up opportunities for other types of consoles to be used.

Obviously people didn't think about it for more than a nanosecond and the idea was instantly shot down.
Commander
# 3
02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
The truth is that having consoles that provide a straight-line boost to DPS is probably a bad idea and doesn't really fall in line with how the engineering and science consoles work.

More likely, the basic consoles should operate not on straightline DPS, but on specialization skills:

Directed Energy Manifold: Bonus to Starship Energy Weapons skill (up to +30)
Warhead Yield Chamber: Bonus to Starship Projectile Weapons skill (up to +30)
Advanced Targeting System: Bonus to Starship Targeting Systems skill (up to +30)
Advanced Tactical Subroutines: Bonus to Starship Maneuvers skill (up to +30)
Commander
# 4
02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
The truth is that having consoles that provide a straight-line boost to DPS is probably a bad idea and doesn't really fall in line with how the engineering and science consoles work.

More likely, the basic consoles should operate not on straightline DPS, but on specialization skills:

Directed Energy Manifold: Bonus to Starship Energy Weapons skill (up to +30)
Warhead Yield Chamber: Bonus to Starship Projectile Weapons skill (up to +30)
Advanced Targeting System: Bonus to Starship Targeting Systems skill (up to +30)
Advanced Tactical Subroutines: Bonus to Starship Maneuvers skill (up to +30)
Question is, does that really encourage any sort of diversity?

Targeting systems skill could potentially be useful, but all the other choices still don't really break out of the dynamic of tactical console stacking. Before any other console choices can be made viable, a change will have to be made to how the weapon type-specific consoles work.
Captain
# 5
02-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserfish View Post
The way that Tactical Consoles work right now is silly: either you go all in on your primary energy type, or you're an idiot.

Limits choice in terms of weapons loadout, and a major factor in the whole DPS problem thingy.
They work just like the armour consoles,

Neutronium gives you equal X resistance against both energy and kinetic damage
Tetrabernium gives you higher BUT very specific resistance against certain energy type damage.

It's always better to specialize, but if you want to be a jack-of-trades you'll be a master of none.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Republic Veteran
# 6
02-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post

It's always better to specialize, but if you want to be a jack-of-trades you'll be a master of none.
We need to put that on a T- Shirt
Career Officer
# 7
02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
We need to put that on a T- Shirt
Yah it could have a guy with a swiss army knife on it and he's trying to open a beer for his girl ( who really really likes beer) and he's staring at the knife and that would be on the front and on the back he's still staring at the knife but I've run of with his girl because I have a beer opener thingie so now she likes me best!

And on the front it would say...."Now let's see....."

And on the back it would say ..."DAMMIT who took my little plastic toothpick!!!"

Okay seriously though, not sure what the OP is even talking about. Rainbow builds suck? Dont' use torpedoes and if you do don't use consoles for them? PVP, PVE what? What is this DPS problem thingy? Is this something new? Maybe some clarification.

Or moar t shirts! Oh wait! Here's a gem.

"I once suggested that tactical consoles, along with every other boosting console, be subject to diminishing returns, in an attempt to even out the supreme advantage of high tac console ships by levelling the playing field, and also open up opportunities for other types of consoles to be used.

Obviously people didn't think about it for more than a nanosecond and the idea was instantly shot down."

Right. Because it's an awful idea and would do none of the things that you say it would. It wouldn't even out the surpreme advantage of high tac console ships. It wouldn't level the playing field. And it wouldn't open up opportunities for other types of consoles. I run 3 measly tac consoles. 2 energy and 1 torpedo. And I can burst close to 100k damage pretty regularly. Do you REALLY think the consoles are the cause? Honestly?

If so, prove it. Prove that my OP build of 2 energy consoles and 1 torpedo console is the ROOT cause of 100k damage. (not tricos by the way)

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!

Last edited by thissler; 02-13-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Commander
# 8
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Non-stackeable energy damage consoles, and we're talking.

Commander
# 9
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
They work just like the armour consoles,

Neutronium gives you equal X resistance against both energy and kinetic damage
Tetrabernium gives you higher BUT very specific resistance against certain energy type damage.

You have choice of Engineering Consoles other than armour.

With Tactical Consoles, the only choice you have is to max out consoles for your primary energy weapon type. And unlike armour consoles, Tactical Consoles stack without diminishing returns.

While specialization will generally work out better than spreading things out, it does not mean that you should focus exclusively on maximizing a single stat. Rather, it could and should mean that you would also focus on building up your skills in areas that would support your primary mission or function.

Last edited by eraserfish; 02-13-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
Non-stackeable energy damage consoles, and we're talking.

And ? You would be at same.