Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 111
# 1081
02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
What an STO gamer thinks he's/she's doing: sitting in the captain's chair running a new exciting mission with his crew, battling injustice against all odds.

What an STO gamer actually is doing: the same mission over and over again to grind something to get more somethings just to do the same mission over and over again "better"

What the STO devs think their customers are doing: having fun.
There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
# 1082
02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
In Cryptic's defense, the construction of Earth Spacedock took about 50 years, so actually I think a year, two years for a whole starbase is not actually that bad. Besides, new stuff is coming in may, can't you just be patient and wait?
I am also sure making it to Vice Admiral required more than a few weeks. Would 20 years of leveling to get to 50 have been too much for you? This is irrelevant and no defense for Cryptic.

Yes, for smaller fleets two years is probably not unreasonable. That was about the going rate prior to this change. The problem is that one to two years has now become a LIFETIME for small fleets, particularly KDF fleets.

In reference to your statements regarding parenting techniques in response to the use of exploits... we are not children. This is not some important life lesson we all need to learn. It is a game. Furthermore, if people were "exploiting", this is no way interfered with your ability to make or run creative Trekkie foundry missions. So why would you feel it needs to be stamped out? Why does how you WANT to play dictate how others GET to play?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 208
# 1083
02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
There is only one thing I can say to this, if you are not a Star Trek fan, why are you even bothering to play this game? If you do not enjoy a good story about Star Trek? Why are you playing this game? I mean seriously? Why are you bothering?

Using the Foundry other then Cryptic intended is called "abuse" and I understand that Cryptic had to stop it. A lot of missions that had minimal effort but were reviewed about 1000 times were being used just to exploit the reward system.
Ooh another author rushing to be the knight in shining armor to Cryptics damsel in distress....

For starters, if I wasn't a Star Trek fan, I would have been long gone. It is up to me to decide what I feel is a good story and what isn't, and most of the foundry missions are *not* good stories. They are just walls of text and boring as hell. Also, enjoying a good story about ST does not mean I have to do the foundry stuff. I wish foundry authors like you wouldn't go so whiney over the ratings. Yes, your missions weren't popular. So what? Thought you where here to enjoy a good ST story, not to increase the length of your e-peen based on foundry mission ratings...Do you think that this change will make your missions, or the Foundry in general more popular? If you do, you'll be in for a nasty surprise...
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,211
# 1084
02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstalker89 View Post
No one will have time to do any stupid foundry missions because pwe wants everyone to grind fleet mission for a crappy amount 17-22 fm its going to take along time before we have free time.
Let your DOFFs do the work for you. If you get your CXP maxed, all you have to do is go to your fleet starbase every time a category hits 110,000 and turn in a commendation report. That will net you a minimum of 75 FM per report and if you get a critical success, 150 on a report. (You cannot fail a Commendation Report assignment, so you won't lose anything.)

An investment in your DOFFs will relieve you, for the most part, of FM-related time sinks. And your DOFFs can be working on it for you, while you do more interesting stuff. Personally, I always found--even before the changes--that I did much better on fleet marks through Commendation Reports, when you consider the yield gained versus the amount of time and effort put in.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)


Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 1085
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
If anything, this has hurt the foundry. Sure, there are times I don't mind doing RP and going on a little adventure, but that's maybe once a week. for the most part, I want progression. So I could say I gave it a go, I did one of the spotlight foundry missions and did not get the rewards that it said I would get. I didn't get the 1440 dil and I didn't get any ec. Also, the story was unappealing to me and silly so I didn't get anything out of it.

Do you seriously want someone like me playing your hour long missions when all I am going to do is spam F all through your dialog just so I can move on to the next fight? If that's what you want, fine. Just don't get mad when I give you 1 star because the mission is full of nothing more than walls of text and maybe two battles. If I want a story, I will go watch TNG or read a book. When I logon to the game, I want to progress. You can say that I am in the minority, but you'd be wrong. There are a ton of us here who value our progression more than the story...and yes, we can still be ST fans at the same time. It's not hard.
He is clearly either trolling or grossly mistaken if he thinks his narrative of how the game should be played and how long things should take must take primacy other what a great many other players feel is acceptable.

He has the same problem as Cryptic does, ignoring what players enjoy and just going straight ahead with what you *think* they should enjoy.

Horrible amateurish practice that has sunk plenty of games and businesses before this team and game came along.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 02-16-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
# 1086
02-16-2013, 10:19 AM
If the amount of reward from IOR was an issue just up the cooldown on IOR to somewhere between one and four hours. It's a much simpler solution then removing it outright.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
# 1087
02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
There is only one thing I can say to this, if you are not a Star Trek fan, why are you even bothering to play this game? If you do not enjoy a good story about Star Trek? Why are you playing this game? I mean seriously? Why are you bothering?

Using the Foundry other then Cryptic intended is called "abuse" and I understand that Cryptic had to stop it. A lot of missions that had minimal effort but were reviewed about 1000 times were being used just to exploit the reward system.
The Game is no longer being produced for the Star Trek fan, and to add to your question , yeah

Why ARE we playing ?

The constant grind, nerfing, re-valuation. ?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 310
# 1088
02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
If anything, this has hurt the foundry. Sure, there are times I don't mind doing RP and going on a little adventure, but that's maybe once a week. for the most part, I want progression. So I could say I gave it a go, I did one of the spotlight foundry missions and did not get the rewards that it said I would get. I didn't get the 1440 dil and I didn't get any ec. Also, the story was unappealing to me and silly so I didn't get anything out of it.

Do you seriously want someone like me playing your hour long missions when all I am going to do is spam F all through your dialog just so I can move on to the next fight? If that's what you want, fine. Just don't get mad when I give you 1 star because the mission is full of nothing more than walls of text and maybe two battles. If I want a story, I will go watch TNG or read a book. When I logon to the game, I want to progress. You can say that I am in the minority, but you'd be wrong. There are a ton of us here who value our progression more than the story...and yes, we can still be ST fans at the same time. It's not hard.
You're good.

I like your posts.

You call a spade a spade and I like that and for me, that's makes interesting reading.

Even though I am a "naysayer" as Dan calls me and my endorsement of your posts means very little, I have to say don't stop...
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
# 1089
02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
hmmm.. are we seeing the emergence of the PWE "50 cent gang" today ?
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 515
# 1090
02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trast4sa View Post
If the amount of reward from IOR was an issue just up the cooldown on IOR to somewhere between one and four hours. It's a much simpler solution then removing it outright.
All things being equal, the simplest answer is often the right one.

It doesn't take long to realize that 150 years later that Occam's razor still applies. Cryptic seems to take the extreme measure rather than the logical or simple one.

If I have an enemy in front of me and I fire a gun at him and he keeps coming, I don't go from the hand gun to a nuclear bomb to kill him, do I?
_______________________________
To answer your question, yes. - @Executive_Emily - I have a Website? Oh, yeah! I do.

Last edited by olivia211; 02-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 PM.