Career Officer
# 1091
02-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
All things being equal, the simplest answer is often the right one.

It doesn't take long to realize that 150 years later that Occam's razor still applies. Cryptic seems to take the extreme measure rather than the logical or simple one.

If I have an enemy in front of me and I fire a gun at him and he keeps coming, I don't go from the hand gun to a nuclear bomb to kill him, do I?

Off topic:

Olivia needs to start a blog.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
# 1092
02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
All things being equal, the simplest answer is often the right one.

It doesn't take long to realize even after over 150 years that Occam's razor still applies. Cryptic seems to take the extreme measure rather than the logical or simple one.

If I have an enemy in front of me and I fire a gun at him and he keeps coming, I don't go from the hand gun to a nuclear bomb to kill him, do I?
I think the honest truth is they simply never intended to keep those rewards there for 30 minutes/2 hours/4 hours or 24 hours. I mean I know they are lazy and only motivated to create things that make a quick buck and get bums on seats but I think even for Cryptic if they wanted to change the timer they would have it's not that hard. The reality is they wanted this gone full stop.
Ensign
# 1093
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Foundry authors need to put the blame where it belongs... not on the players, but on Cryptic itself. How many of us have time to do a 1hr mission? We have to grind for Romulan and Omega rep, grind for Starbase, grind for Embassy, and grind for everything.

Most of us have to be selective in how we spend our game time. If the shorter missions were getting the most hits, well guess what... it's because they provided the most benefits for the shortest amount of time. Time, because of all the grinding is more precious then anything else in STO. Without marks and dilithium, the foundry will become a ghost town. Cryptic might as well shut the whole thing down... problem solved.

Instead of fixing things that weren't broken... maybe Cryptic should focus on fixing the AFK'ers. Thanks to this latest "fix" by cryptic, this is becoming even more of problem. However, I am sure their reams of data, don't see it as an issue.
Commander
# 1094
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
Off topic:

If it's about both the good and bad about STO, without the frothing at the mouth rabid fanboyism, or the far right "I hate this game and nothing ever will convince me" hate-ism of the game, then yep, I would read...
Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
Captain
# 1095
02-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
I actually feel that it would be a good thing, missions like "Easy Money" and "Battleship Royal Rumble" were somewhat of an exploit of the original intention of the Foundry. I am no fan of Cryptic, believe me but I can understand this...

People who abuse a system, should have it taken away... its a common principle in parenting and essentially that is what is going on here. If you want to blame anyone, blame the creators of the missions in question.
And why can't Cryptic make their own versions of those missions? Farmers just want the most amount of resources in the least amount of time, so why not give it to them?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 1096
02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Off topic:

Ahaha in the UK there is a football team that perennially under achieve and their fans have a movement called "Where has our Arsenal Gone"

maybe we should start a website "wherehasourstartrekmmogone,com"

Ensign
# 1097 It's Cool
02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I get it. abusing a system for an easier way to earn an ingame currency should be considered wrong, and in my mind it is wrong, not to say i haven't done it from time to time myself. I can blame grinding, boredum, lack of time (as my job also demands me to grind for a paycheck, and if by anyway i could exploit that i would as well ). the problem is with many companies wether you are an employee or a customer you are treated the same, and most of the time not good.

I guess my only real complaint here is that they should fix some of the things that hurt us just as quickly as they do the things that seem to help us : example the so called exploits

Another thing i would like to address, is those people whining AKA (foundry authors, and members of large fleets that didn't need the foundry to earn their marks) and also those who say the fleet system didn't matter to them AKA ( the fleet mates that don't contribute ). have fun now that you may have to start carrying your own weight. i can guarantee that fleet resources AKA ( provisions example : fleet guns, kits, etc ) will be more closely monitored now that they will be harder to get and those that don't " care or contribute " AKA foundry authors and non contributing fleetmates may find themselves not getting the regular access they once did. this might spur them to understand how hard it has been for us fleetmates who have contributed no matter the size of the fleet, 25 members or 500.

Also i agree with Cryptic on the idea of team play to advance your fleet, wether with your own fleetmates or a PUG team, but what was not mentioned is the issue with people fleet hopping and wanting to build their own mini fleets. these people don't seem to realize how much this hurts themselves and others towards the goal of acheiving whatever Cryptic sets for us. try working together as fleets first if you want you base, embasy, and even you rep system complete, when you manage to acheive these goals then gpo off and start your mini fleet for your so called bank space. or here is and idea try using you account bank now that you have one, also try expanding your account and personal bank space, and "Whala" all the space you need, LOL also try not hording so much junk you will never need.

thank you for letting me post here Cryptic, and also thank you to those who find it within themselves to read this much cr*p
Career Officer
# 1098
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomace View Post
If it's about both the good and bad about STO, without the frothing at the mouth rabid fanboyism, or the far right "I hate this game and nothing ever will convince me" hate-ism of the game, then yep, I would read...

The blog could be about used toilet paper and I would read it if it is full of the wit and simplicity of her posts.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Lt. Commander
# 1099
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
You're being a bit short sighted. These missions did create some interest in the Foundry. If it weren't for the XP and FM wrapper, I wouldn't even had bothered with the Foundry. Now, with basically limited to no incentive there is no reason to even bother with the Foundry. Maybe some people did use it for FM, but exactly who was being harmed? Have any more Starbases reached all T5?

There is no more choice; we must now grind the same stale content for the meager rewards for a relatively high time investment. Not to mention the dramatic increase in AFKers

Your attitude is common among the author Foundry authors who demanded this change. I can't understand why we must all play your way.

Live and Let Live is a dying concept nowadays.
Let me point out that this is not a personal affront to you at all, so please don't take it that way. This just happens to be the last post I read.

Actually, it appears that there is shortsightedness on both sides of this argument. Let me try to explain the other point of view on this.

First off, even though there was a tremendous amount of feedback from the Foundry authors, I'm fairly certain that they did not "force" the devs to make the changes they did. It just doesn't happen that way. Believe me. I've played MMOs for well over a decade.

The missions that you say "created interest" in the Foundry, didn't really do that at all. It's been stated before that the intent of the Foundry was to create and expand on the game world experience through user generated stories and scenarios. It is not, and never was supposed to be a tool to max out fleet/dilithium/EC gain. You know it. I know it. And so does everyone else.

To be honest, the players that did nothing but grind AFK missions for marks and dil never did and STILL have no real interest in the Foundry, so that point is completely moot. And in the same post, the AFKers that abuse the STFs are mentioned. How are the players using the Foundry for easy loot/dil with an obvious exploit any different?

If STFs were suddenly spammed by player generated missions that had a minimum of an hour completion time, you would be raising more hell than anything. The same works the other way around.

In my experience, there are different types of players. Some like to grind and max out. Some like to immerse themselves into PVE/RP. And then there are those like me that are in between. The AFK/timid grind missions were exploits. That is a fact. Most experienced players know it is but can't admit it because they have these ridiculous fleet sinks hanging over them for their starbase.

What needs to be created is an equivalent of what was in the Foundry for players to earn marks, without involving the Foundry itself. It seems that is what they say is coming, but we'll have to see. If they reworked the STFs to be more engaging and found a way to auto-boot AFKers, there wouldn't be a discussion at all. Foundry and STF: Two different playstyles, two different game options, one game, happily separated and together.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC

Last edited by skydawnknight; 02-16-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Career Officer
# 1100
02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Ahaha in the UK there is a football team that perennially under achieve and their fans have a movement called "Where has our Arsenal Gone"

maybe we should start a website "wherehasourstartrekmmogone,com"

Perhaps this isn't the time to mention that this American is a Chelsea supporter
Quote:
Closed Thread