Career Officer
# 1141
02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
The success of the Foundry = The ability of authors to tell stories.

And the IOR prevented that how?

Quote:
If you can find a different source, then I'll read it. You know, something like, "We envision players using the Foundry to farm loot, take advantage of exploits, and create their own short, repeatable and non-story grind content that helps them fill their buckets."
AFKers in solo content hurt you, how?

Seriously, I want to know why I;m being forced to bend to Foundry authors' wishes.

I may be crazy, but again people, look at the sigs of the majority of the defenders of this poorly thought out decision. Foundry authors.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 02-16-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Commander
# 1142
02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
I won't spend more than 5 minutes digging up interview after interview after interview.

Here is one, though:

Dan Stahl:

The success of the Foundry = The ability of authors to tell stories. That has been the overarching justification for the tool since it was introduced in STO.

And here is Cryptic's philosophy.

If you can find a different source, then I'll read it. You know, something like, "We envision players using the Foundry to farm loot, take advantage of exploits, and create their own short, repeatable grind content that helps them fill their buckets."
You also don't want to acknowledge that the foundry is just a tool that now allows Cryptic to not make new missions and content, as they have a "free" workforce doing it them.

You're also are asking people to take Dan at his word about the foundry when it was always "supposed" to be just a fan fic tool for those like you that wanted to do stories and those fans that like to read fan fic.

Do you really think majority play the foundry for the "amazing" stories, or have people been playing it more because of the Dil and the marks?
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Career Officer
# 1143
02-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomace View Post
You also don't want to acknowledge that the foundry is just a tool that now allows Cryptic to not make new missions and content, as they have a "free" workforce doing it them.

You're also are asking people to take Dan at his word about the foundry when it was always "supposed" to be just a fan fic tool for those like you that wanted to do stories and those fans that like to read fan fic.

Do you really think majority play the foundry for the "amazing" stories, or have people been playing it more because of the Dil and the marks?
No point in responding the Foundry landing page demolishes his entire argument anyways.
Career Officer
# 1144
02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
1] Can you show me a quote where anyone a Cryptic specifically says the Foundry was only for Authors to tell Stories?

2] The the overarching justification for the tool was to test it's viability as an integral part of Neverwinter.

3] Here is the official Foundry Page Intro Text:

As you can see it doesn't specify ONLY STORIES. It also specifically says we can do what we want with the tool "craft the star trek universe in your way"

Your way not being Kirkfats or Hippiejohns or Daniel Stahls way.

Also have to laugh at the irony of that Foundry You Tube clip... filled with cuts of Space and Ground battles and not endless walls of text however irrelevant as the official text on the Foundry Landing page says I can make a mission MY WAY.
E..P..I..C....W..I..N....+1000

Thank you for posting this before I replied, people on high horses make me rage so much I would have been censored anyway
Captain
# 1145
02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
1] Can you show me a quote where anyone a Cryptic specifically says the Foundry was only for Authors to tell Stories?

2] The the overarching justification for the tool was to test it's viability as an integral part of Neverwinter.

3] Here is the official Foundry Page Intro Text:

As you can see it doesn't specify ONLY STORIES. It also specifically says we can do what we want with the tool "craft the star trek universe in your way"

Your way not being Kirkfats or Hippiejohns or Daniel Stahls way.
No, it doesn't specify only stories, but it clearly privileges the role of the tool as a story-telling tool.

Quote:
Re-create your favorite Star Trek episode or design your very own from scratch!
It's a pretty open interpretation of "your way," if you want to read: "Create your mindless grindfests where a nebula and a fence in space help players earn lots of lootz. We're just so excited to see what kind of exploits the community can make."

Anyone who reads these quotes can clearly see what the tool was designed to be.
Lt. Commander
# 1146
02-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
I won't spend more than 5 minutes digging up interview after interview after interview.

Here is one, though:

Dan Stahl:

The success of the Foundry = The ability of authors to tell stories. That has been the overarching justification for the tool since it was introduced in STO.

And here is Cryptic's philosophy.

If you can find a different source, then I'll read it. You know, something like, "We envision players using the Foundry to farm loot, take advantage of exploits, and create their own short, repeatable and non-story grind content that helps them fill their buckets."
I don't think that was the major intent for most. The STFs are boring and they were overloaded with AFKers. The ability to advance a Starbase ala S7 became absolutely ludicrous hard, especially for small fleets. What happened to the Foundry sadly is it became the easiest and best way to get FM and Dil in one go.

The problem was that firstly, it was subject to way too many exploits, and we became two sides that had no choice but to be in each other's faces for what the other one wants or needs. IMO, fleet advancement had no business being connected to the Foundry in the first place.

I put this in another thread, but this discussion has been over and done with already. Please see here.

Specifically so:
Quote:
We want the Foundry to be used for users to create missions. Set a scenario, create the world anew for yourself. The tool was not created to allow players to level up easier, to have a quicker way to gather Accolades, or similar. If your mission sets this as a goal in any form, we may take action. Please do not create missions that are geared towards boosting of any kind.
I don't know how it could have been made any clearer than that. An alternative is needed.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC
Career Officer
# 1147
02-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawnknight View Post
Is AFK wrong? The answer is yes, in ALL circumstances.
Even if a paying customer is playing solo (as in by his/her self). And somehow that is not trying to legislate?

Ok, sure.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
# 1148
02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
I just wanted to leave this here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryGamers
When asked what he would do differently if he could have a do over on Star Wars Galaxies, Smedley said, 'We would have encouraged more in-depth discussion with the community surrounding the idea of any game modifications.'
And I'd ask Dan Stahl if he really wants to be echoing John Smedley's words in a year, two years or five years time when the direction this game is taking finally drives away such passionate, creative and tolerant fans?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
# 1149
02-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
No, it doesn't specify only stories, but it clearly privileges the role of the tool as a story-telling tool.

It's a pretty open interpretation of "your way," if you want to read: "Create your mindless grindfests where a nebula and a fence in space help players earn lots of lootz. We're just so excited to see what kind of exploits the community can make."

Anyone who reads these quotes can clearly see what the tool was designed to be.
It says my way, it says missions if I want to create a mission where you kill mobs for fun then it's my way and funnily enough my way reflects Cryptic's way which is basically endlessly killing mobs in PVE.

Apparently when Cryptic create missions that are story light and mob heavy it's fine but if a player wants to do that in the foundry it's not.

You lost the argument a long time ago it's obvious from the landing page that they gave no specific stipulations on what you can and cannot make. Indeed this move if anything legitimizes that fact as they aren't removing this missions they removing the rewards wrapper. If the missions were against the Foundry's EULA then they would be gone.
Captain
# 1150
02-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawnknight View Post

I put this in another thread, but this discussion has been over and done with already. Please see here.

Specifically so:

I don't know how it could have been made any clearer than that. An alternative is needed.
Where does that archived post come from? Who wrote it?
Closed Thread