Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
# 1491
02-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
He who controls the oil (fleet marks in this case) controls the market (starbases in this case).

The powers that be want the game slowed down. Longer game player = more chances of getting some money in from someone, somewhere.

Sadly, money is all that matters to them it seems.

Just my 2 cents but isn't it better for everyone if the game is long lasting?

And the plain fact is you don't ever have to spend a penny in STO (unless you want things immediately, stamp, stamp), there are loads of ways to make mases of dil, ec, etc. In fact the only restricting factor I've found is the 8k/day dil conversion cap - i could do 5 times tha/day - hint, hint
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 221
# 1492
02-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbormite View Post
Just my 2 cents but isn't it better for everyone if the game is long lasting?

And the plain fact is you don't ever have to spend a penny in STO (unless you want things immediately, stamp, stamp), there are loads of ways to make mases of dil, ec, etc. In fact the only restricting factor I've found is the 8k/day dil conversion cap - i could do 5 times tha/day - hint, hint

Run off and get me 100 FMs and let me know how long that takes you.

See you in a few hours...
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 616
# 1493
02-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbormite View Post
Just my 2 cents but isn't it better for everyone if the game is long lasting?

And the plain fact is you don't ever have to spend a penny in STO (unless you want things immediately, stamp, stamp), there are loads of ways to make mases of dil, ec, etc. In fact the only restricting factor I've found is the 8k/day dil conversion cap - i could do 5 times tha/day - hint, hint

I think you missed the point.

People don't want a short game. People are just tired of grinding the same thing over and over and over again. The only thing that passes for content nowadays is lockboxes (unless you count jacked-up C-store prices as additional content). The game as it is now is artificially long because of time gates on damned near everything, combined with the exorbitant cost of everything.

Compounding that are the nerfs and bugs that go unfixed.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 02-17-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
# 1494
02-17-2013, 07:34 AM
..............

Last edited by tvlar; 02-17-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 1495
02-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebumble View Post
Run off and get me 100 FMs and let me know how long that takes you.

See you in a few hours...
On the Fed side I can get 330 FM during the 2 hour bonus event - with 5 toons

KDF is a bit different - although I Q'd for Colony invasion KDF yesterday and only waited 30 sec during the bonus event and we finished the mission in 5 min - my best time fed side was 7 min.

But on the whole KDF wait times are longer - but they have been improving after this change - the one benefit of the change.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 1496
02-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Let's put some numbers to this. The amount of dilithium to build a full T3 starbase (assuming one did solely non-dilith needing projects and none of the fluff ) is, per sto-wiki's compilation of projects:

64800 + 216000 + 648000 = 928800 (Starbase tier upgrades)
(32400 + 108000 + 324000) x 3 = 1393200 (Category tier upgrades)
15750 + 108000 + 324000 = 447750 (Transwarp conduits)

For a grand total of 2,769,750 dilithium, or at the current exchange rate of about 90 dil/zen over $300.

I imagine the EC to dilith to zen to dollar calculations on the commodities/doffs/equipment would yield a similarly crazy number. And that's not even taking into consideration the fleet mark stupidity.

And that's just Tier 3.

The point of all this morning arithmetic is this: Cryptic has put into place a system whose sole purpose is to suck the equivalent of thousands of dollars out of their players, yet when anyone raises a voice to ask for improvements to said system they're told, in no uncertain terms, to shut up and offer up another wallet for sacrifice.
Couple of points:

1) The first - and perhaps only SOLO T3 starbase was completed in Oct by Levi3

2) I have heard from him recently - although he only plays 1/10 the amount of time he used to - he is in the process of upgrading to a SOLO T4 starbase!! - just firing off the T4 sci upgade last I checked with him - with Mil and Eng being at 90k - and he never used the new IOR system - only doffing 9 toons for marks/dilithium. And He has not spent a dime of outside money.

Considering this case - although extreme - puts the small fleets can't do it argument into the airlock.

3) Mr Stahl has stated that their goal WAS to make thounsands of dollars per starbase.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,659
# 1497
02-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
You're once again making the hilariously false assumption that every created character is not only active, but in a fleet.
Every character not in a fleet raises the average, not lowers it. The absolute MINIMUM that average can be is 121.

So unless you're criticizing me for pegging the bottom of average, I'm not seeing what you meant.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 1498
02-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Every character not in a fleet raises the average, not lowers it. The absolute MINIMUM that average can be is 121.

So unless you're criticizing me for pegging the bottom of average, I'm not seeing what you meant.
Are you seriously arguing that the less people there are in fleets the higher the average fleet population is when the fleet number stays constant?

Let's do some math here...

500 people in 10 fleets. That's a 50 person average.

250 people in 10 fleets. That's a 25 person average.

25 is in no way shape or form greater than 50.

I'm criticizing you for using completely incorrect math on top of already suspect numbers to try and support a notion that fundamentally consigns small fleets to second class status simply by nature of them being small.

Last edited by stirling191; 02-17-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 602
# 1499
02-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Not sure if it's been suggested before, but how about adding a project to the Omega Reputation that will allow you to convert Omega Marks to Fleet Marks at a 1:1 ratio? This would be a massive boon to KDF players who can sometimes sit for an hour or more without a Fleet Mark event popping, but can almost always get into an STF.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 1500
02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Couple of points:

1) The first - and perhaps only SOLO T3 starbase was completed in Oct by Levi3

2) I have heard from him recently - although he only plays 1/10 the amount of time he used to - he is in the process of upgrading to a SOLO T4 starbase!! - just firing off the T4 sci upgade last I checked with him - with Mil and Eng being at 90k - and he never used the new IOR system - only doffing 9 toons for marks/dilithium. And He has not spent a dime of outside money.

Considering this case - although extreme - puts the small fleets can't do it argument into the airlock.

3) Mr Stahl has stated that their goal WAS to make thounsands of dollars per starbase.
1 +2) So because a single individual did something that probably 95% of the playerbase doesn't have the time, patience or resources to do, everyone else has zero standing to raise a stink? Also, by Stahl's logic the CXP to FM payouts shouldn't exist since they're 100% solo, but that's neither here nor there...

3) That's precisely my point. When you prioritize profits over an enjoyable mechanic the end result is a playerbase that's royally pissed off. Which, coincidentally, is exactly what we have right now.

Last edited by stirling191; 02-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 AM.