Career Officer
# 1731
02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
And as much as I hate to admit it, Cryptic did what it needed to do. It needed to take away the reward for making the exploit missions. That's all it can do.
No they didn't NEED to take away the reward and punish everyone including those foundry authors who created what you consider to be non-exploit missions. Instead, all it needed to do was outline what is considered to be an exploit mission and then when it is reported, investigate and remove them. Just like f-missions that include the image of actors, or swearing. It gets reported and it gets removed.

"That's all it can do"...
Rah-rah-rah zip-boom-bah
Oh Please. They can do so much more with this franchise and its dedicated customer base.
Instead this is what they choose to do. Reap what you sow. Just like last time they were warned in threads on Tribble not to do this; that they would disenfranchise their customers; and did they even give it a second thought?

No, it went live two days later. No play-testing, no listening to their customers. Rushed out on a holiday weekend - on purpose.

No compromise. Restore the FM and Dilithium to the F-missions (yes folks, they reduced the dilithium reward - a 15 min mission now rewards 300 less). While you're at it, restore the normal, sane, dilithium costs to reassigning DOffs.

Happy customers will be paying customers.
There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
Lieutenant
# 1732
02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4v1t4r View Post
I'll quote part of the text here:

"Until recently, 50 fleet marks were rewarded to players who undertook the repeatable Investigate Officer Report Foundry mission. Since the reward's implementation several months ago, a few exploit Foundry authors created numerous versions of the AFK exploit. Cryptic faced an outcry from the Foundry authors whose legitimate missions were being shoved aside in the ratings list in favor of those with the easy take. Although Executive Producer Daniel Stahl also referenced rewards data as an additional reason, the team did remove fleet marks as a reward from the mission wrapper and replaced them with a scaling dilithium reward. The wrath has yet to die down."

LOL, so now the propaganda is blaming the Foundry authors after all? Since the data was only an additional reason
She did say "legitimate missions" so they are not being blamed IMO they are being made out to be the poor innocent parties.
Commander
# 1733
02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
From
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02...undry-foibles/

"The problem is more complicated than most players comprehend."

This 174 pages are the proof that Therilynn Shull is right.
Commander
# 1734
02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4v1t4r View Post
I'll quote part of the text here:

"Until recently, 50 fleet marks were rewarded to players who undertook the repeatable Investigate Officer Report Foundry mission. Since the reward's implementation several months ago, a few exploit Foundry authors created numerous versions of the AFK exploit. Cryptic faced an outcry from the Foundry authors whose legitimate missions were being shoved aside in the ratings list in favor of those with the easy take. Although Executive Producer Daniel Stahl also referenced rewards data as an additional reason, the team did remove fleet marks as a reward from the mission wrapper and replaced them with a scaling dilithium reward. The wrath has yet to die down."

LOL, so now the propaganda is blaming the Foundry authors after all? Since the data was only an additional reason
Well she has at last done one thing, given another forum for people to air their grievances. She's getting pelters...

Noticing a lot of first timers posting not just on here,but on her thread...
Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
Lieutenant
# 1735
02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjexcimer500 View Post
No they didn't NEED to take away the reward and punish everyone including those foundry authors who created what you consider to be non-exploit missions. Instead, all it needed to do was outline what is considered to be an exploit mission and then when it is reported, investigate and remove them. Just like f-missions that include the image of actors, or swearing. It gets reported and it gets removed.

"That's all it can do"...
Rah-rah-rah zip-boom-bah
Oh Please. They can do so much more with this franchise and its dedicated customer base.
Instead this is what they choose to do. Reap what you sow. Just like last time they were warned in threads on Tribble not to do this; that they would disenfranchise their customers; and did they even give it a second thought?

No, it went live two days later. No play-testing, no listening to their customers. Rushed out on a holiday weekend - on purpose.

No compromise. Restore the FM and Dilithium to the F-missions (yes folks, they reduced the dilithium reward - a 15 min mission now rewards 300 less). While you're at it, restore the normal, sane, dilithium costs to reassigning DOffs.

Happy customers will be paying customers.
The line you quoted is my biggest exception to the article in question. Cryptic didn't do what they needed to do. They OVERDID what they needed to do, and more over, they did it in a sneaky, underhanded, not even terribly imaginative way.
Career Officer
# 1736
02-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakledgenius View Post
She did say "legitimate missions" so they are not being blamed IMO they are being made out to be the poor innocent parties.
Ehm, you don't genuinely believe it works that way do you? They are pointing a finger and saying "It was their idea!". Of course they don't "blame" them, and I know better, but a large group of people will see that post and rage at the Foundry authors in general. Sad part is that it was only a few of the Foundry authors, and now they are all thrown on a big heap of angry Foundry authors.
Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
Career Officer
# 1737
02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn Shull
Cryptic faced an outcry from the Foundry authors whose legitimate missions were being shoved aside in the ratings list in favor of those with the easy take.
And who decides what the 'legitmate' missions are? Since Cryptic has shown no interest in policing this aspect of the Foundry (and nor should it), the players decided - and they decided that the rewards of doing a quick shooty mission were more worthwhile than investing their time in the 'legitimate' story missions - and given Cryptic's mission to cut off as many sources of in-game revenue as possible, who can blame them?

Foundry missions should have zero rewards - the reward should be in playing user-generated content if that's what you enjoy. If the Foundry dies because of that, then I guess people just don't want to play these missions.

Fleet Marks are too valuable and necessary a commodity (thanks to Cryptic making them so) to attach to something like Foundry missions - they needed to be added in quantities that feel like a reward and not a punishment elsewhere in the game.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
# 1738
02-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Foundry missions should have zero rewards - the reward should be in playing user-generated content if that's what you enjoy. If the Foundry dies because of that, then I guess people just don't want to play these missions.
Considering that it's been strongly implied Cryptic plans to outsource content production to the Foundry, I don't see them letting that happen.
Lieutenant
# 1739
02-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Foundry originally had no rewards, this includes item drops. They were added because, who wants to play content with zero rewards? Especially with the grindfest this game has become having content with zero rewards is a sure way to get it killed.

Anyway...Good morning! Keep up The Good Fight!
Lieutenant
# 1740
02-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
And who decides what the 'legitmate' missions are? Since Cryptic has shown no interest in policing this aspect of the Foundry (and nor should it), the players decided - and they decided that the rewards of doing a quick shooty mission were more worthwhile than investing their time in the 'legitimate' story missions - and given Cryptic's mission to cut off as many sources of in-game revenue as possible, who can blame them?
Or how about this CRAZY idea. Player generated content can be whatever a player wants as long as it adheres to all the legal mumbo-jumbo and the objective "time qualification" standard already set. Content made by players in MMOs is still in its infancy, but if game companies and players want to see it grow and used in more titles, this obsession with governing "legitimacy" as a cloak for personal preference has to be abolished.
Closed Thread