Career Officer
# 181
02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
I have a suggestion for all resource requirements for the Fleet Starbases that is actually based on most a logical/scientific/business related theory:

y=mx+b

a.k.a.

Total Cost =Variable Cost(x)+Fixed Cost

There should be a fixed cost for each "mission" and a variable cost based on the number of members in the fleet.

For instance:

Total Cost of dilithium for a SB mission could be = 10,000 + 500 (per fleet member)

A fleet of 25 would then have a cost of 10,000 + 12,500 = 22,500

while a fleet of 2,000 would have a cost of 10,000 + 1,000,000 = 1,010,000

These numbers would still be to the advantage of a larger fleet, but would make it more possible for a smaller fleet to have a more reasonable chance of progression.

Great Idea... If only they would listen.
Commander
# 182
02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
-coughs pvp coughs-

pvp is what many would consider to be a "fleet based activity" yet since day one it has been neglected in the rewards department for fleet marks.
Remember when starbases were supposed to play a part in PVP? Before they turned into a grind and zen cash cow?

5v5 queues really don't spell epic PVP for Fleets nor does it provide an incentive enough to go wage war on a large scale.

Having to defend your Starbase from an enemy fleet would have been epic! Risk and rewards, winner and losers. Winning in PVP might have meant something more than just a quick e-peen measurement contest.

No greater way to effect diplomacy and politics than razing player owned facilities and introducing al to the vacuum of space.

When starbases failed to be considered in PVP was when I bounced from the game last time. Now after having no characters, PVP is meaningless but I digress.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Empire Veteran
# 183
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
IMO, biggest mistake from day 1 was allowing fleets with 15 to 20 players the ability to even get a starbase. What Cryptic should have done is made the starbase everyone enjoys now unlockable only after people grew to have 25+ members. Until you got 25+ members, you could only fully develop a listening post to tier 3, which could only get you tier 3 fleet ships, at the most. That makes way more sense than just having the same resource requirements for everybody no matter the fleet size and go the easy way when small fleets complain by just saying deal with it or join a larger fleet. Then, once the merge fleet mechanics was introduced, 4 small fleets, for example, could decide to collectively build a big star base. Alternatively, the fleet leaders of a small fleet with a tier 3 listening post could choose to upgrade their listening post to a starbase (if they met the requirement of having 25+ members).

Edit: you could even throw in incentives for being in a small fleet and maxing out your listening post. Listening posts with military tier maxed out get the best stealth ships, whereas the largest fleets with tier 5 military maxed out get the most powerful ships, for example.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!

Last edited by knuhteb5; 02-14-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Commander
# 184
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Fleets should have been kept social... under 25 members.

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Lt. Commander
# 185
02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
I always found City of Heroes' Prestige system a simple and effective 'guild' setup, which allowed you to play the game and spend your time how you wanted.

When you joined a supergroup there, you could switch to "Supergroup Mode", this would allow you to earn the currency Prestige no matter what content you did in the game, at the expense of regular in-game rewards.

So 'flying the flag' for your fleet in this way means there's a choice over which kind of 'currency' you wish to earn at any one time.
NOTE: I have not read through the whole thread yet and replying to this particular quote...

Amen to that Brother!

While I wouldn't expect to implement that system like how City did, I could envision something along the lines of adding small amounts of Fleet marks as part of the rewards for all non-Foundry content, only if you were in a fleet. That way those who play everything else have a way of contributing to the Fleet's progression.

Typically, all I'm doing now is logging in and cycling my 7 FED Characters through their DOff missions and that's about it. For example, say you added a 1 FMark reward to every successful DOff mission and 3 for a critical success. I could see that if you have ways of getting criticals on all 20 missions, that it 'could' get exploitive, but it could be a interesting addition.

Thank you for the time...
Community Moderator
# 186
02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavryck999 View Post
For the good of the game, come up with something that lets newer or smaller fleets the ability to grow, and players still have several characters to try out and play and not feel like a grind, I came to live star trek, not grind.
You have that now; small fleets are perfectly capable of growing. That growth will be much slower than for large fleets, but it's still growth.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 187
02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl View Post
Great Idea... If only they would listen.
If they don't understand a simple y=mx+b formula and ever took college level mathematics or business classes, they should get their degrees revoked and their tax filings audited. Worst case scenario, all they have to do is walk over to their accounting department and ask an accountant who took cost (managerial) accounting about it (which they better have to earn a degree).

Maybe Cryptic should add an "Administrative" character class and we can figure out how to more efficiently run the game, and set up more realistic progressions.
Empire Veteran
# 188
02-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
You have that now; small fleets are perfectly capable of growing. That growth will be much slower than for large fleets, but it's still growth.
Did you even bother to read the thread syberghost? Of course it's growth, but it's grossly disproportionate to that of the larger fleets. It needs to be addressed in a more nuanced way than: don't worry, it's still growth, or you can be patient or you can jump ship and join a larger fleet.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!
Commander
# 189
02-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Who is going to recruit after the "help! my fleet is held hostage" post?

Most large fleets that have Tier 5 look to be not recruiting because of that.

Others have said it already, try to recruit as a small fleet and when the potential recruit finds out you have a low level starbase, they are not interested. Is why I was trying to level up my starbase by myself so I could attract some of the new blood in may. Have to have honey...

Catch 22 and then something.

Starfleet Veteran
# 190
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
So in this massive posting you said "We're not giving this back. Too bad."

Also, this whole thing about "leave your feedback here and we will look over it" was more of a stahl tactic to buy time until you all released something like this, trying to explain why this was done.

Fact is I don't want to wait months while you figure things out. If you make a change this drastic to the game, you need to have something to replace it now...not months from now.

But I have to hand it to you. You got me. You got me good. Got me for plenty of cash. Well played. Don't spend it all in one place.
This post says it all. You've removed one thing without having a valid replacement. Basically you've said that the car has a flat tire and you taken it off without having a spare to put on and roadside assist is a few months away.

This is completely irresponsible to the people who play this game. As irresponsible as trying to fix tricobalts and stuffing up temporal disruption devices. Where is your quality control?

Like olivia211 said, you've gained a fair bit of my money. You've obviously got access to the behind-the-scenes stats so you can check up for yourself. No more. You've stuffed the player base up and now I'm so sick of reading excuses. Now when I try to read your latest justification I see it as

blah blah blah blah too bad, deal with it blah blah blah blah I don't care blah blah blah tell your story walking blah blah blah

Thank you for treating us like crap that you'd scrape off your shoe.
Closed Thread