Career Officer
# 2571
02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
If you're being honest though, you have to admit that CCP's (EVE Online's) QA dept. is in worse shap them Cryptic's; and C CP isn't at all above implementing major design debacles (like the $80.00 Monacle; and the way Captain's Quarters were initially implemented back in June 2011 (Where they promised use of said Quarters would be optional - and 'ship spinning would still be available for those with lower spec hardware -- yet when it was finally implemented that wasn't the case; and it took much more then one week of feedback to get CCP to finally relent.)

I'm just saying overall (if you look at how a lot of other MMO developers handle situations like these); Cryptic isn't all that bad; and most developers have had situations where they haven't kept earlier promises etc.

(And honestly, even though I'm not a big KDF player, or Klingon fan in general; I will say that the KDF players at this point DO have a right to be upset as Cryptic HAS been stringing them along - without detailing any real 'plan' for fixing the KDF to date; and I do recall that right after teh acquisition StormShade personally posted that there WERE plans for a big KDF content patch -- that was later retracted - and that may be because PWE was saying one thing during the acquisition negotiations; yet changed their minds after <-- But either way, since that time, I do think it' bad PR when DStahl keeps teasing KDF content every season; yet they seem unable to state up front what the plan is for completing the KDF. I realize that now gthey've been claiming they will let players know what their plans are for the KDF (and any future faction) before the May update -- but givenm tenh history on all this, I'll believe it when I hear it.
^^^
(This is one major thing I think Cryptic has handled poorly since closed beta and the original STO 2010 launch -- and again, while I'm not a Klingon fan (I have one KDF character - Level 50 Eng; and while I do play him; and have experienced all the KDF content; I will not create another KDF alt until I know the plans for the faction's future); I do sympathize and say that Cryptic has not treated that portion of the fanbase well when it comes to honest/upfront info about the future of the KDF faction. In this area Cryptic needs to stop promising, and start delivering.)
1] Cryptic do not have a Q&A department so they can't be better or worse than CCP as they don't exist

2] TOR or EVE really aren't industry leaders in F2P at all, look at Turbine who own DDO and LOTRO they actually have real live in-game DM's that actually and respond to problems in-game (currently Cryptic in-game ticket system is broken and they have no in game dm's), they have massive amounts of content and the perfect F2P modular story buy-in framework.

When I heard about Neverwinter I was really up for it because I prefer Forgotten Realms to Eberron but after playing STO I will never ever consider moving from DDO to Neverwinter

I really don't think you're being honest to yourself when you discuss Cryptic and STO because the reality is this game is falling way short and the worst part is so much of it is still beta. Could you imagine any other post-production live MMO with the kind of massive Franchise monopoly this has that has a major component like PVP still effectively in Beta, heck some parts of the game like the Andorian adventure zone still feel Alpha!.

Having played a quite a number of MMO's from Ultima, through to Matrix Online up to DDO and on to STO I can honestly say of the major games I've played Cryptic are on par with Sony Online Entertainment and that is not an accolade anyone wants. Turbines customer services can be bitchy but at least you can speak to a human being on the phone and expect an actual response to your ticket and their games don't feel like Beta oofferings and their systems and relatively bug free.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/s...pe/sOrder/desc

Hardly popular amongst established and stable games.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 02-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 2572
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
1] Cryptic do not have a Q&A department so they can't be better or worse than CCP as they don't exist
Cryptic DOES have a QA department. If you honestly believe otherwise then I can just throw out anything else you say, as it appears you're just out to slam Cryptic, no matter what the situation. Yes, their QA procedures need work, but Cryptic QA exists, and overall, they haven't been outside the range of most other MMO developers when it comes to screw ups and bugs slipping through. And I speak as someone who's played or beta'd most western MMOs since EQ back in 1999 - never tried Ultima Online though.) I don't try to give Cryptic a free pass per se, but QA in any MMO in the last 10 years hasn't been great across the board.

Quote:
2] TOR or EVE really aren't industry leaders in F2P at all, look at Turbine who own DDO and LOTRO they actually have real live in-game DM's that actually and respond to problems in-game (currently Cryptic in-game ticket system is broken and they have no in game dm's), they have massive amounts of content and the perfect F2P modular story buy-in framework.

When I heard about Neverwinter I was really up for it because I prefer Forgotten Realms to Eberron but after playing STO I will never ever consider moving from DDO to Neverwinter
I only mentioned EVE and CCP (didn't say a thing about EA/BioWare, although in my opinion as someone who beta' SWTOR for 4 months prior to launch; and subbed for 3 months - they IMO are tops in my book as a company with zero real direction for that game, and QA that's worse gthen Cryptic's atm.) -- but it DOESN'T MATTER if CCP and EVE is 100% F2P (although many players do stay subbed to EVE without paying a cent via PLEX); or if they are 'an F2P leader'. CCP bosts they are growing their playerbase every quarter (although in the last two quarters that's up for debate); and they've been running EVE for 10 years and STILL have lousy QA.

You do have some good ideas; but don't fall into the trap of going overboard with hyperbole. It doesn't help your position.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Last edited by crypticarmsman; 02-20-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Captain
# 2573
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
I can blame them.

Because they want my money - money that'd I'd love to give to them but,

half the time I beam down to First City, I end up in the Shipyard.

I can't edit any characteristics of my KDF Marauding Boff.

To use a bank terminal I have to stand on the far left or right hand side.

Switching Zones completely screws up my ground and space trays for no apparent reason for Fed and KDF.

And those are the ones off the top of my head - I'm sure everyone has a 'favorite' bug.

There should be Devs fixing this stuff - but there isn't - just new ways to get us to buy or spend Dilithium and grind for currencies to slot into the Zynga-inspired Fleet Advancement System or the Reputation stuff.

It's time this stuff got some attention - honestly, the Devs themselves give the impression that this game isn't going to be around for long because well, if we're closing up shop, why bother fixing anything?

*Edit* Oh dear lord, the sycophancy's begun
Oh, I agree there's more than enough stuff needs fixing to go around, but 'feedback' on these forums is not unlike someone marching into a store and screaming into the manager's face.

There's plenty of good feedback too; but... well, one makes more of an impression than the other right?. A bad impression.

Cryptic staff are not obliged to stick their noses in here; we should try to avoid chasing them off when they do (again).
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 2574
02-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Quote:
I fundamentally disagree,

It isn't the players who made poor choices about the direction in which they wanted the game to go.

In fact along the way most of us could see the trainwreck that was Season 7 coming a mile off, indeed the tribble testers warned the team but were ignored.

You can argue all you want that in the past they were open and people flamed them for it but the changes the game has taken on and the directions it has been going since the PWE deal has nothing to do with the community getting things wrong and everything to do with Cryptic getting it wrong.

Their aversion to interaction does not excuse their failure to generate a balanced and enjoyable gaming experience.
I didn't say that wasn't the case, so you aren't disagreeing with me about anything.

All I'm saying is that is community often comes across as rude and abusive; and the devs can be put off talking to us by it. We've already seen it happen several times.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Lieutenant
# 2575
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Even with the FM's added back in to less then fun but large variety of mission, it still didn't and will not compare to being able to get it from the foundry.

At this point even if they added back FM to the foundry or to everything else in game, the underlining issues with the game still exists.

Like untold bugs, more and more grind and the continued lack of communication from the devs who still feel on need to say anything more about the communities concerns.

So I just not willing to return at this time while the FM are a small step there is so much more that has to be done including communication improvements.

But I am not holding my breath if the past has taught me anything, it's that cryptic will continue to nerf content when their metrics don't match what they are aiming for.

As Kirk once said "Don't Trust them!"

I for one would have to agree why should I trust a company driven by a even larger parent company that doesn't want to communicate or even share its upcoming improvements nor tests things for real in tribble and try to fix things based tribble forum feedback.

As for pming to share ideas, i am far from qualified to share any idea for improvements and most of the good idea in one form or another have already been stated many times over in this topic.

Hopefully with continued communication by us people that care something good will come out of this all, but after seeing more then one mmo fall to similar issues, I question if the game is being setup for a skeleton crew in preparation of it slowing down to a final pulling of the plug.

Only time will tell, but I have been one to observe so many things that have happen over the years that dishearten me both in this game and others that I think most games like this that are bought out are only in it for the short term.

Either way I will be watching to see how things progress or regress from the side lines for the time being.
Captain
# 2576
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post

c) Cryptic leaves in Dilithium rewards for Foundry missions which remain exploitable by 'AFK exploiters'
there is also no hard cap either you can run pure foundry and get way over 8,000 if you so desire
Career Officer
# 2577
02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Cryptic DOES have a QA department. If you honestly believe otherwise then I can just throw out anything else you say, as it appears you're just out to slam Cryptic, no matter what the situation. Yes, their QA procedures need work, but Cryptic QA exists, and overall, they haven't been outside the range of most other MMO developers when it comes to screw ups and bugs slipping through. And I speak as someone who's played or beta'd most western MMOs since EQ back in 1999 - never tried Ultima Online though.) I don't try to give Cryptic a free pass per se, but QA in any MMO in the last 10 years hasn't been great across the board.

I only mentioned EVE and CCP (didn't say a thing about EA/BioWare, although in my opinion as someone who beta' SWTOR for 4 months prior to launch; and subbed for 3 months - they IMO are tops in my book as a company with zero real direction for that game, and QA that's worse gthen Cryptic's atm.) -- but it DOESN'T MATTER if CCP and EVE is 100% F2P (although many players do stay subbed to EVE without paying a cent via PLEX); or if they are 'an F2P leader'. CCP bosts they are growing their playerbase every quarter (although in the last two quarters that's up for debate); and they've been running EVE for 10 years and STILL have lousy QA.

You do have some good ideas; but don't fall into the trap of going overboard with hyperbole. It doesn't hep your position.
You have proof that they have a QA and department? because a friend of mine sent in a resume to them and was told they had no intentions of creating a QA department at the present time.

considering the amount of bugs that happen with every patch are you really surprised that they have no dedicated QA department? I mean look at recent bug with bridge officers if they had a QA department that wouldn't have taken long to identify and could have been fixed before going live, heck they have Tribble too and yet failed to respond to the bug before going live.

Seriously if they did have a QA department they are doing a terrible job, lets not forget that the game was broke for an entire week from STF's down to the very first mission due to an NPC pathing bug that they didn't for an entire week.

I'm not slamming Cryptic at all these events did happen these bugs and the prevalence of such bugs do exist.

I don't play EVE because I hate the approach to that game, I also didn't touch SWTOR with a barge pole but I can say after having extensive time playing Turbine games that Cryptic falls way behind them way way way way behind. I find them to be as bad as SEO was.

What about in game DM's and a functioning ticket system, you've not addressed that yet.

Indeed if you check here

http://crypticstudios.com/openings

you will see that they have no dedicated Q&A department and just comes under "publishing" they have just opened a job for a single Q&A tester on a short term contract probably for Neverwinter, as far as I can see they have little to no Q&A testers the job description doesn't even mention any concept of working as part for a Q&A Team!, though I will email my friend that they have a position open maybe he's still looking.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 02-20-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Career Officer
# 2578
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgtx View Post
there is also no hard cap either you can run pure foundry and get way over 8,000 if you so desire
^^^
And you've personally confirmed it's possible to get 8K dil from one Foundry mission (and I'm honestly not attempting to disparage you or your claim, as I've heard there was a hard max cap from Fleetmates; so it would be interesting to find that wasn't the case.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 2579
02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord
Indeed a good example of exploitation is having a monopoly on an item people cherish and are addicted too then cynically milking them for all they are worth...

I think I just found my new sig.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
# 2580
02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
You have proof that they have a QA and department? because a friend of mine sent in a resume to them and was told they had no intentions of creating a QA department at the present time.
Considering at least one of the system's Devs (Bort in case you're curious, who happens to be one of the only Cryptic names I take at face value precisely because he has been so open with folks when it comes to mechanics and systems related situations) has spoken directly to the existence of QA, you're really reaching here.
Closed Thread