Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 544
# 2581
02-20-2013, 04:50 PM
It may be bad QA but Cryptic has QA.

They just may want to consider hiring more people to help.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 427
# 2582
02-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
If you're being honest though, you have to admit that CCP's (EVE Online's) QA dept. is in worse shap them Cryptic's

*snipped*


Being an EVE player I can tell you right off the bat... The players rioted over the Micro-transaction debacle and CCP did relent in damn near less than a week and this wasn't over implementation... it was over the PLAN to implement paying real money for stat-boosting "clothing" laid on TOP of a pay to play game.

The Captian's Quarters issue was really a vanity issue over what you make it out to be. The settings COULD be lowered in the Captain's Quarters and for a time one could(and i believe still can) even shut off in-station animations while in the Captain's Quarters.


When a bug(ships not functioning properly or improperly showing turrets or even having visible texture breaks) or game-breaking exploit[Goonswarm exploiting the new Faction Warfare Mechanics to gain billions in ISK(EVE' EC)] has crept up, CCP has had the common sense to NOT wait a week to do something about it when told, especially given they have a DAILY 30 minute maintenance.

Only on occasions where they were in the middle of implementing a change to certain aspects would they not fix a bug because it was the full intention of CCP to correct this error along with the update that accompanied that aspect.

It's also been the Policy of CCP, more so, since the micro-debacle that ALL the projects they were working on were to be shared openly with the community at large.

I don't understand why Cryptic has to hide everything and make some big secret about it...

"May 2013" okay, f--k we get it.... Now tell us what you PLAN to do so that we can help you MAKE it the biggest and best update ever. After all WE are your customer base.... if WE don't enjoy it You won't get paid....
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 949
# 2583
02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Considering at least one of the system's Devs (Bort in case you're curious, who happens to be one of the only Cryptic names I take at face value precisely because he has been so open with folks when it comes to mechanics and systems related situations) has spoken directly to the existence of QA, you're really reaching here.
Nah it comes under publishing, considering how small Cryptic is it's a stretch to believe that they have proper Q&A department.

I don't know how their internal divisions work but I assume that the Q&A office as a sub department of Publishing covers all their game assets and is relatively small.

I wonder if the devs or community manager can clear up for us when they instituted the QA office and how many staff are assigned to it?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 2584
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Considering at least one of the system's Devs (Bort in case you're curious, who happens to be one of the only Cryptic names I take at face value precisely because he has been so open with folks when it comes to mechanics and systems related situations) has spoken directly to the existence of QA, you're really reaching here.
Having people that test the client doesn't hang immediately on opening or that go through some perfunctory checks to make sure it's not DOA isn't exactly what I'd call QA though. The recent, examples of the Borg Doffs missing from the store and the frankly ridiculous Engineering Team bug would seem to indicate that Cryptic's QA is severely lacking.

Heck, they can't even fix bugs reported on Tribble before the build is pushed live.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,573
# 2585
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
You have proof that they have a QA and department? because a friend of mine sent in a resume to them and was told they had no intentions of creating a QA department at the present time.

considering the amount of bugs that happen with every patch are you really surprised that they have no dedicated QA department? I mean look at recent bug with bridge officers if they had a QA department that wouldn't have taken long to identify and could have been fixed before going live, heck they have Tribble too and yet failed to respond to the bug before going live.

Seriously if they did have a QA department they are doing a terrible job, lets not forget that the game was broke for an entire week from STF's down to the very first mission due to an NPC pathing bug that they didn't for an entire week.

I'm not slamming Cryptic at all these events did happen these bugs and the prevalence of such bugs do exist.

I don't play EVE because I hate the approach to that game, I also didn't touch SWTOR with a barge pole but I can say after having extensive time playing Turbine games that Cryptic falls way behind them way way way way behind. I find them to be as bad as SEO was.

What about in game DM's and a functioning ticket system, you've not addressed that yet.

Indeed if you check here

http://crypticstudios.com/openings

you will see that they have no dedicated Q&A department and just comes under "publishing" they have just opened a job for a single Q&A tester on a short term contract probably for Neverwinter, as far as I can see they have little to no Q&A testers the job description doesn't even mention any concept of working as part for a Q&A Team!, though I will email my friend that they have a position open maybe he's still looking.
Just because they list no currenbt openings, doesn't mean they don't have a QA department.

Also, there's this: https://twitter.com/CrypticEQAH

And the STO QA Lead - Farktoid5000 who's posting history you can see via gthe link below:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/se...rchid=49331181

Again, over the top hyperbole doesn't serve your argument.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 2586
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Having people that test the client doesn't hang immediately on opening or that go through some perfunctory checks to make sure it's not DOA isn't exactly what I'd call QA though. The recent, examples of the Borg Doffs missing from the store and the frankly ridiculous Engineering Team bug would seem to indicate that Cryptic's QA is severely lacking.

Heck, they can't even fix bugs reported on Tribble before the build is pushed live.
Oh I'm making zero claims to the competency or effectiveness of said QA department, but there most definitely is one. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to be factually accurate when I make a principled stand against something. Running amok with wild accusations and general hysterics doesn't serve to get anything substantive accomplished.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 949
# 2587
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Having people that test the client doesn't hang immediately on opening or that go through some perfunctory checks to make sure it's not DOA isn't exactly what I'd call QA though. The recent, examples of the Borg Doffs missing from the store and the frankly ridiculous Engineering Team bug would seem to indicate that Cryptic's QA is severely lacking.

Heck, they can't even fix bugs reported on Tribble before the build is pushed live.
Not to mention even basic spelling errors.

For me what counts is how many an hours of QA go into testing a patch?

From the looks of it not many.

I have been personally attacked for being to harsh about the company and it's practices and I may not always have the correct information but what I say really is irrelevant because anyone can see for themselves if they actually bother to look that game feels beta, has a truck load of bugs and with every patch has problems that really would not be there if any real level of QA was actually done or if the Tribble Testers were actually listened to.

Also I don't need to use hyperbole and indeed was speaking honestly when I was told they didn't have a dedicated QA department for STO I believed the person who told me.

The reason why I don't need to use hyperbole is because the state of the game speaks for itself as a testament for how seemingly non-existent QA is for this particular game. Do you dispute that?

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 02-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,001
# 2588
02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
^^^
And you've personally confirmed it's possible to get 8K dil from one Foundry mission (and I'm honestly not attempting to disparage you or your claim, as I've heard there was a hard max cap from Fleetmates; so it would be interesting to find that wasn't the case.)
no one mission gives you a max of 1440. but you can repeat said mission as many times as you want or play another mission and get the rewards from that one.

before there was play three missions get 1440

then there was play one with a 30 minute cool down to get 1440 repeatable

now it's just play mission after mission and just keep getting dilithium even the short ones that can be done in 15 minutes (ie the grind missions) give about 300 and just redo those

Last edited by gpgtx; 02-20-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 544
# 2589
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseahl View Post
When a bug(ships not functioning properly or improperly showing turrets or even having visible texture breaks) or game-breaking exploit[Goonswarm exploiting the new Faction Warfare Mechanics to gain billions in ISK(EVE' EC)] has crept up, CCP has had the common sense to NOT wait a week to do something about it when told,....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseahl View Post
It's also been the Policy of CCP, more so, since the micro-debacle that ALL the projects they were working on were to be shared openly with the community at large.

I don't understand why Cryptic has to hide everything and make some big secret about it...

"May 2013" okay, f--k we get it.... Now tell us what you PLAN to do so that we can help you MAKE it the biggest and best update ever. After all WE are your customer base.... if WE don't enjoy it You won't get paid....
I've broken up your post to highlight some of the more important posts. The part about bugs speaks for itself.


In regards to the upcoming whatever it is in May, I bet Cryptic is planing something major that will require real money to obtain. By using methods that many movie companies make (that is releasing tidbits of info to drive up hype) the more susceptible people will feel they must have it and will pay whatever Cryptic wants for it.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 2590
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
I have to agree with most other posters here, boosting fleet mark rewards was a step in the right direction, but only one, and not a very big one at that. Most of the fundamental issues still remain. (Also, it was embarrassingly bad PR work, seriously, it they'd delayed the Foundry changes one week, or said that they were planning to make changes like those ones this week, this thread would never have gotten past page 50. I almost want to start a conspiracy theory that what's happened here was exactly Dan's plan to buy him some breathing room from PWE, because I can't imagine anyone being this foolish about it.) What's happened in this thread is somewhat remarkable. For the first time a protest movement on these forums has become sufficiently self-aware to realize collectively that it's about more than just the trigger event. Others have included brief mentions of other grievances, but none has become a movement about all of those grievances until now.

Moving forward, I still want to see less grind. These fleet mark changes have only made the fleet mark queues somewhat reasonable options for grinding marks for T3 and T4 projects, they haven't been a real paradigm shift and they haven't helped with any of the other grinds. For a next step, I'd really like to see the formula for Foundry dilithium rewards, since the devs say it's based on more than just average play time. Yes, releasing that formula likely will allow authors to deliberately write missions to max out rewards, but that was going to happen anyway within a month or two, and by releasing it now the community and the devs can have an open, honest, fully informed discussion about where the game is going to go and how we're going to get there. And if they choose to start that privately, just with a few of the leaders here, that's ok too, and it makes sense that they would want to avoid a flame war, at least at first. It can't stay private for long, of course, but that could be a way to get some ideas moving.

Let's keep up the good fight, and see if we can get some real changes started.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 PM.