Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 775
# 941
02-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeknow View Post
Hes always been like that. Did the same thing last time he was on STOked as well. Some of the Devs are ok people, but the only one I really had A LOT of respect for was Heretic. He was definitely interactive with the players.
Yep, Heretic was my favorite developer.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
# 942
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
big update on the 28-29th of this month iirc, they're pretty good with updates every60 to 90 days andstarting a world storyline event soon..probably starting a storyline forJormag to the north.

(sudden closing of CoH aside) it seems that even though NCsoft iskorean, they have a very light touch on their western studios. Stark contrast to PWE and Cryptic, unfortunately. Ireally,really want to like STO, but dang Stahl and the chinese moneymen just make me want to scream.
The sad truth of it is, is that since online gaming has become a mainstream past time the quality of games has nose dived while the profit making gimicks have risen.

As a 30 something I have witnessed the meteoric rise of gaming from what was an industry of games by gamers for gamers to it's fall into just another way to squeeze money out of the wallets of consumers.

Gone are the days when game developers would try to squeeze as much game play into every kb of memory such as the almighty Elite which to this day STILL astounds me as to HOW they managed to get a 360 space combat game with THOUSANDS of solar systems..........*has a JD scrubs moment*

...........sorry where was I.....oh yes....I was lamenting the fall of gaming. Look sad truth is gaming will NEVER be for gamers again.....the fact that Dollar Bill Roper is considered a successful game producer simply reinforces my belief that games for gamers is six foot under he was all about teh monies.

Anyway......still.....at least STO is F2P now and the choice to pay Cryptic any money is ours....if they make changes i don't like....they don't get my money.....and if they make changes I like then they get my money. It's that simple.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 131
# 943 Tired of the constant nerfing!
02-15-2013, 08:31 PM
I have to say this, because im spent, burnt out, and at a point i just wanna throw my hands in the air and say whatever. STO is constantley being nerfed, with ships, dilithium, fleet marks, you name it.

I logged in today and saw officer reports was removed yet again..REALLY? im gone a week, and this sneeks in? When officer reports was removed the first time, i understood. This time..NOT at all.

I swear, every couple weeks, its like trying to play a new game because everything changes. Players set goals for themselves in game you know. I do, and im sure others do as well. When the game is nerfed every 2 weeks, those goals become unrealistic, because now a player has to figure out a new way to reach those goals..

I also have to say, i have never been a part of a game before where something has been given, then taken away, then given again, and taken away yet again! It's rediculous!

This game needs stability! This aint BETA for cryin outloud, it's been 3 years since launch! Quit treating this game like it is beta, and everything can be completely nerfed, or turned around!

Just think how far this game might be, if all those man hours were spent on new content instead of nerfing, changing the content we already have!

Something to think about. Please just set this game on a clear path for the future, and quit changing content we already have.
Thankyou..
A concerned STO player.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 622
# 944
02-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Long Live Gygax.
All cloaks should be canon.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
# 945
02-15-2013, 09:18 PM
My opinion is that while losing the 50 Fleet Marks a day from the foundary missions is annoying, it's hardly catastrophic, and I *DO* see the issue of awarding them for what amounts to solo play.

That said while demanding new content would be a bit more than Cryptic/PWE could do "on the fly" especially with a big update hinted for May (which might just be the Playable Romulan faction people have wanted going by the teaser 'coming soon' page), it would be nifty if perhaps the fleet mark rewards for some of the existing fleet content were improved.

One CONSTRUCTIVE idea might be to take the fleet "officers of the watch" and increase their fleet mark awards. As things are I hardly seem to see anyone bothering to go and do those simple escort missions because it isn't worth the headache to change zones multiple times to go there. On the other hand if they changed those assignments to 50 marks a day once a day, it would encourage people to do them (and visit their starbase daily instead of just pumping stuff into it by remote, and simply going once in a while to visit the stores). It woudn't be as huge as being able to grind out 50 marks per pop on a spammable foundary mission, but it might be a decent good will gesture, helping with marks, without creating the level of inflation mentioned.

I'll also say that if this "Territory Control Game" I've heard about ever gets moving there is going to be some need to work on catching up the smaller fleets, if for no other reason than the fact that it seems most people play Fed, and KDF is a sideline, as a result it seems most KDF fleets fall into the "small" catagory, at least in terms of progression, but that could just be my own experiences and observations. If you want everyone to participate when that's finally done... game balance is going to be an issue.

It might also be possible to work out a system where there are fleet mark missions that award marks on a "curve". Estimating fleet mark contribution accross the board (however Cryptic charges it) and awarding bonus marks depending on how far a fleet falls behind the average. Perhaps combined with that suggestion of boosting the duty officers. It would have to be capped of course to be reasonable to prevent some fleet with 1 guy from getting 1000 marks or more a day, but it's something that might help a bit, and would again be a decent good will gesture. If it say varied from 50-200 marks a day depending on relative performance, that would be a big help, without creating the same problem of spammable foundary missions, especially at the high end.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
# 946
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Dear Dan,

I've been away for a few days, I don't play as often anymore after you ruined the game in Season 7.

I see however that yet again you've managed to earn the ire of a great many players through your frankly amateur communication policy that seems to assume that when one ****s their pants it's best to wait before telling the rest of the room you've done so. At least give others the courtesy to leave the room or hold their noses by pre-warning them, I mean it's basic etiquette.

Before you reel off more useless numbers, I'd just like to say I don't believe a word you say about "how great" the game is doing. Maybe if you published your figures and the sources from which they were calculated I might be willing accept them. You see statistics should never be trusted if their is no accompanying source, this is something elementary to anyone who has the capability of critical thought.

I do find it funny though how you wheel out the same statements every time you mess up like this. This is why I find it so hard to believe your statements. You see I only started playing in August of last year and since then I've lost count of how many things you've meddled in, however I've noticed a clear decline in my enjoyment of the game.

I've not been here as long as some so I won't make any phony statement about how if only you produced more content I'd be happy and that I'm a long suffering player (I feel for you guys that are, it must be soul-wrenching). The truth is your content sucks, your systems suck and at the moment the lack of creativity is making this game go stale real quick.

You see your own statements really are all I need to confirm to me just how poorly run this game is. Firstly your explanation of why you chose the design options you did for the Fleet system smacks of a group of developers who are either to lazy or too uncreative to look beyond two poor choices for fleet development and try a more out of the box approach.

Then there is all this talk about players getting more dilithium than ever before. This is another statement I don't believe at all especially when you go on to say that the average max player isn't hitting their refining cap. The reality was most of us "max" players were hitting the refining cap consistently in Season 6, now very few of us are.

Season 7 was already the end for small fleets this was just the final nail. You see Dan, you may or may not be aware of this but most of your playerbase are time-limited. We have limitations as to how much time we can play. So when you meddle with the game and introduce new ever more boring time wasting grind content and make it more difficult to amass currency we have to shift our playing habits within the time-limitations we have. Let me spell this out for you personal reputation systems and the sinks involved meant many people either left the game (as did 6 of my 8 fleet members) or made a choice to focus on one irritating grind course to take either fleet or personal rep.

If the idea was to get me to play more, it failed. You want to know why it failed? in a nutshell it's boring. In detail, your fleet missions suck and give out bugger all in rewards, not only that but the 20 man Starbase Defence is a lag-happy mess. The reason why people look for exploits is becuase the grind sucks, they want to do fun things like play with friends on cool new episode missions, oh but wait that's never going to happen, or play PVP, oh wait it's terrible in this game... maybe we could play group mission on foundry content, oh wait it's bugged to hell.

You see Dan I could sit here and write a whole book on how badly handled this game and it's playerbase is... if there is any loyalty from us players it's to the franchise not the game or Cryptic. If a proper Star Trek MMO came out tomorrow with real team based story adventure, fully realized PVP and Factions... you would be closing up shop it is as simple as that. As it stands it's the only place to get my Star Trek fix though I log in less and less as many of my old friends are gone.

However I'm not going to write too much more.

I will break it down for you though in a kind of executive summary.
  • Increasing the demand for currencies by in-game inputs and stagnating the supply or reducing the supply of said currencies has ruined the game
  • People do not want to grind your poorly designed fleet missions over and over for a pitiful amount of currency
  • The entire game feels like a fun fair filled with the broken dreams of players and the half finished half arsed pet projects of the developers
  • Legacy bugs, there are so many it's not even funny
  • You have no in-house QA and treat a weekend test on tribble as a benchmark for "fit to release", also totally ignoring the feedback and concerns of said tribble testers who get paid nothing to QA your game
  • The story content you have is about as deep as pool of urine in my pants when I forget to wear my incontinence nappy.
  • Apparently it's been 3 years since you failed to keep your promise on the KDF
  • In line with your policy on pet projects you will no doubt leave the KDF in a half finished state and move onto a Romulan mini-faction
  • The point of games is that they are fun Dan... fun, not an exercise that feels like work but where I actually pay to do it.

In closing I was hooked in August and I'm pretty much want-a-way by February, I'm an average player, not hardcore just average I have a life, a job, family, friends... other hobbies and wheres STO was winning out against my other hobbies in August, it is now way down on the pecking order.

Carry on screwing your players and meddling in things endlessly whilst throwing a few ships about and come May the Romulan mini-faction and "Search for Sela" episodes will be too little too late for most of us.

Regards,

Signed

Mr. STO made damn sure I'm never moving from DDO to Neverwinter.

What that dude said.

the FUN is no more in this game. It is all about holy grind.
The so called reducing currency is a lie. there are too many different currencies needed for everything.

Who wants to grind over and over the same boring events everyday for such a low ridiculous amount of mark rewarding?

Here a tip for a start : remove Fleet mark? Merge Omega and Romulan marks?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,259
# 947
02-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonner View Post
I have to say this, because im spent, burnt out, and at a point i just wanna throw my hands in the air and say whatever. STO is constantley being nerfed, with ships, dilithium, fleet marks, you name it.

I logged in today and saw officer reports was removed yet again..REALLY? im gone a week, and this sneeks in? When officer reports was removed the first time, i understood. This time..NOT at all.

I swear, every couple weeks, its like trying to play a new game because everything changes. Players set goals for themselves in game you know. I do, and im sure others do as well. When the game is nerfed every 2 weeks, those goals become unrealistic, because now a player has to figure out a new way to reach those goals..

I also have to say, i have never been a part of a game before where something has been given, then taken away, then given again, and taken away yet again! It's rediculous!

This game needs stability! This aint BETA for cryin outloud, it's been 3 years since launch! Quit treating this game like it is beta, and everything can be completely nerfed, or turned around!

Just think how far this game might be, if all those man hours were spent on new content instead of nerfing, changing the content we already have!

Something to think about. Please just set this game on a clear path for the future, and quit changing content we already have.
Thankyou..
A concerned STO player.
It's getting harder and harder to not go full on Rage mode whenever I log on to the STO forums these days.

Cryptic gives us Fleet Marks for running Foundry missions, the foundry gets more popular, Cryptic states that the new rewards have brought more players into the foundry, Cryptic then takes the rewards away

I'm just adding this in with the Bug Gate.

It would be nice if Cryptic would stop taking away things that the players like and that we've gotten use to having.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 185
# 948
02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therumancer23 View Post
My opinion is that while losing the 50 Fleet Marks a day from the foundary missions is annoying, it's hardly catastrophic
50 Fleet Marks a day? U are missing something.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,207
# 949
02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussere View Post
What that dude said.

the FUN is no more in this game. It is all about holy grind.
The so called reducing currency is a lie. there are too many different currencies needed for everything.

Who wants to grind over and over the same boring events everyday for such a low ridiculous amount of mark rewarding?

Here a tip for a start : remove Fleet mark? Merge Omega and Romulan marks?
They did its called Dilithium.

Oh wait....then they went and repeated what they called a mistake.
STO has a diverse group of players with a wide range of expectations and playstyles. To that end the STO team should endeavor to create a variety of content with a diverse set of difficulty levels and challenges. Cake for everyone!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,926
# 950
02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
And if only Cryptic could afford to hire you stoleviathan99. You see the person you just described in your post is what I believe is the OP's job description. Shame he isn't very good at it.
I'm sure they could afford to and I'd move for it but I can't say for sure they would after some of the back and forth here.

However, if they wanted to look at a marketing team, here's how I'd handle it, starting out...

Introduce a new position:

Junior Marketing Designer

This position spends 50% of its time as a QA tester, 25% in design meetings, and 25% coordinating with Brandon/PWE's outside Marketing and Cryptic's Chief Marketing Officer.

The Junior Marketing Designer compiles issues with community response and exploits/bugs and acts to anticipate them while analyzing the player needs that drive them.

JMDs answer to the QA lead then Dan Stahl and then the CMO in that order.

JMDs compile regular reports directly to the CMO, utilizing the information they gather, that Brandon gathers, and that they discover in the QA process. They have an observational role at high end design meetings (effectively, no vote) but Stahl may recognize them for feedback. They're expected to bring ideas from behavioral psychology and marketing into the mix.

Pluses would include degrees in psychology, marketing, organizational behavior, or communications. Strong oral and written competency required and a knowledge of the game they're assigned to is a plus, with activity in the community given strong consideration.

Try it out for 12 months. If it flops, cut the program and shift these folks to fulltime QA positions. If it succeeds, create Marketing Leads for each game and give the Marketing Lead a co-equal role in the design process with veto power, answering directly to the Executive Producer and CMO in such a way that the EP and CMO would need to agree to override a Marketing Lead's idea veto or to fire or reassign the Marketing Lead.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM.