Career Officer
IMO STO is being driven by someone in charge to be just another grind. All of the changes seem to just cause the players to spend more and more time grinding to get less and less from PWE/Cryptic.

So my request to the PWE/Cryptic In-Charge people is this.....

Try playing the game and see if you really "enjoy" grinding so much for so little reward. See if you are happy when you buy "special" weapons, etc. from the Lobi, Zen, and Dil stores only to have them reduced to a worthless virtual nerf ball by people that don't seem to understand what fun gameplay really is. Happy gamers make loyal customers who are willing to spend their money to have fun. Grinding is not fun and that means they spend less and eventually stop playing.

Before you change something, try it first and see if YOU enjoy the change! Sometimes things look good on paper or in spreadsheets, but in reality they only hurt what you think you are making better.

Please listen to your customer base and stop turning STO into just another MMO grind with the fun taken out!

Thank you and I hope you get this to the powers to be and they can understand what is being requested,

Zeus
Creator of Olympus - Home of the Gods
"I don't test my code often, but when I do I test it in Production"The most interesting dev in the world

I rather be a fence post in Texas than the King of PWE
Captain
# 2
02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Some things you should note:

1) Directly addressing PWE never works. Mostly because this is still Cryptic's game.

2) A lot of devs, and ALL the mods play this game. And as for your "do this yourself and see how you like it?". Tribble.

3) You are a minority. In fact all of us are. There are literally THOUSANDS of players who play the game and don't go on the forums. So in all honesty, anything we say cannot truly represent the desires of the masses.

Don't get me wrong, I am not too fond of the grind, but compared to other games I've played, this grind is NOTHING. And I mean NOTHING. Ever heard of BSGO? Now THAT is a grind. Ever heard of WoW? Another grind. And don't even get me started on EVE.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 3
02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Not all the customers who are on the forums are against any of these changes too, me for example. I am perfectly fine with nerfing officer reports even though I benefited from it too.
Career Officer
# 4
02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
hereticknight085,

To answer your concerns;

1) I was addressing the people in-charge and since PWE did buy Cryptic, it would be disrepectfull to PWE if I did not include them in the "people in-charge" group.

2) I was not addressing this to the devs and mods as they, IMO, don't seem to have the power to direct the game like the people in-charge do. If it was the devs and the mods that had the power to direct the game, then I would have addressed them directly. I really don't think they can over rule the people in-charge when it comes to making the company money. That is the way most companies work today. The Executives make the decision and the rest of the company have to make that decision work. Sometimes a few People in-charge will listen but most of the time they are just looking at the "bottom line" and don't really know or for that matter care how the game plays. This is why I addressed the People In-Charge in hopes that they will get this message and understand that the game is becoming just a grind and a money pit for the players.

3) And something you should think about... So while I maybe a minority, every change starts with just one person speaking out and believing in their cause or idea.

I was talking about more than just the Foundry and IOR. I was referring to the items in the Lobi, Zen, and Dil stores. Spending real money to buy keys to get Lobi's to get the "special" items that are supposed to be something better as a reward for spending real money only to have those items reduced because other players, who don't buy them, have complained so much that the devs turn the "special" reward into something that is more in line with a nerf gun than a weapon used in space is a major reason for this post. If the item had the current specs when I was looking to purchase it, then I would have passed on it and looked for something else. Where is the refund of Lobi's to all that bought the item. That's one thing that players like me are upset about plus several other things that only seem to give the impression that whoever is In-Charge really does not know what is going on it STO beyond the "bottom-line" figures.

There are several other things that, IMO, could make this game better, but those are for another tread and time.

Zeus
Creator of Olympus - Home of the Gods
"I don't test my code often, but when I do I test it in Production"The most interesting dev in the world

I rather be a fence post in Texas than the King of PWE

Last edited by zeus16nbs; 02-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I agree with the OP. We are a minority on the forums however the powers that be still read them which says something. It takes feedback to make change. I always notice the number of new posters that show up when there is major outrage and that's how I know it's widespread. Most folks probably just turn off the computer and do something else rather than complain which is the camp I would be in if I wasn't heavily invested in this game.

I typically don't complain at a store or restaurant... I just don't come back. So when you get someone who is trying to tell you something chances are there are a lot more that feel that way and would just say forget it. I typically just quit playing the game for a few months and check back and see whats changed since I have an LTS but F2P don't have that investment.

As far as people listening you have to look no further than S7 release and subsequent complaints to know it can make change happen.
Commander
# 6
02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
When the community inst happy, the more devs use to insist we're a minority. I remember when the people complained against EA / Bioware about the end of Mass Effect 3... "Its a minority" they said.

Few month later the unhappy situation on the forums/social Bioware sites jumped to Times, who elected EA the worse american company of 2012, and they ended adding a new end for the game...

Meaning: The mood and general opinions in the official media of this game will always have some estatistic value and it does represent the community thoughts, as in all games.
Republic Veteran
# 7
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
When the community inst happy, the more devs use to insist we're a minority. I remember when the people complained against EA / Bioware about the end of Mass Effect 3... "Its a minority" they said.

Few month later the unhappy situation on the forums/social Bioware sites jumped to Times, who elected EA the worse american company of 2012, and they ended adding a new end for the game...

Meaning: The mood and general opinions in the official media of this game will always have some estatistic value and it does represent the community thoughts, as in all games.
Mass Effect was a very very high profile game, and every video game outlet was watching, STO never had that much press.

Unless something news worthy happens that wont be the case because of fleet marks, it would literally take a freak accident to get that kind of press for STO, and it won't be about the game.

Commander
# 8
02-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Yes, STO will never get the attention of mass media, but this wasn't exactly my point...