Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,103
Alternate title: Reputation Marks are weakening the game.

It's not that they're bad, in fact, they're an excellent way of monitoring progress, you always know how close you are to the end, and it's always obtainable. So if I'm doing STFs I'm always moving forward.

But what if I don't want to do STF's?

I constantly hear about how this game lacks "content". In reality it contains quite a bit, there's just not enough incentives to do everything, or go everywhere. And the "railroading" that the current reward systems, and the reputation systems require, is seriously hurting the game.

Earlier, DStahl was kind enough to post this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
Another reason is that Fleet Marks should be for Fleet Gameplay and we will begin adjusting where Fleet Marks are granted to keep Fleet Marks in line with our Fleet gameplay goals.
I can understand that desire, but that's causing the reputation system to work against itself, and now it's limiting the game, when it was created to do the exact opposite.

TL;DR: Everything should give everything. There should be no "Fleet Gameplay", or "Romulan Gameplay", or "Borg Gameplay". There should be only Gameplay.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 2
02-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
I constantly hear about how this game lacks "content". In reality it contains quite a bit, there's just not enough incentives to do everything, or go everywhere.
The Tholian planet is a great example.

I actually like the content. It might be the best ground area in the game. The rewards stink though, and its simply not worthwhile, time-wise.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 622
# 3
02-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Except other than essentially mandatory passives, none of these features have any effect on the gameplay. There's two "factions:" A task force and Romulans. With no way to attain negative reputation with someone or lose reputation on the axis, any positive reputation becomes pointless.

None of the Romulans slain during the campaign have spoken from the grave. Different ideals notwithstanding, should not D'Tan be wary of any assistance offered by those who have struck down so many of his brethren? There should be dissent from officers on all sides but that is only seen in one system during the patrol and there are no lasting repercussions.

The present reputation system merely obfuscates the fact that there is nothing meaningful for us to do. As a result, they added this thinly veiled grind to an already fetid system of gameplay and called it content.
All cloaks should be canon.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,068
# 4
02-14-2013, 11:35 PM
If you really want the reputation systems do mean something, implement a system where the higher tier rep you are, the higher chance you get to earn. Example: For each tier of Omega Rep you get, you earn a bonus percentage amount or Omega Marks. Also will increase the chance of earning bonus BNP. Same with the Romulan rep. Higher tier nets you a bonus percentage of rep marks. This could be tweaked to earn bonus percentage of dilithium tied to the rep rewards.

Perhaps future mission dialog will include "Reputation" options like the Diplomacy does on some missions.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 497
# 5
02-14-2013, 11:57 PM
There is a discernible difference between a lack of content, and a lack of content that is interesting to a wide audience. This game has things to do, certainly. It has very little to do that I find interesting, or worthy of my time. That's a problem for me, but not for everyone. When you introduce a finite grind like the rep systems, some will be pretty much immediately put off when they see their first 20 hour timer. In that case that content may as well not exist to that player. Then when you attach a themepark planet to that system, and that planet's purposes pretty much solely to that system, any of the content on that planet is also nullified as it's a subset of a system that has already discouraged that player. So when a player says there's 'no' content, that probably just generally refers to the fact that there's no content they personally enjoy. Exaggeration happens. It may not seem constructive to see that kind of feedback, but it does tell you that the current systems in place are not satisfactory to all. That too has its value I suppose.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 940
# 6
02-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Hurray, a Square mission! You shall have to do mortal battle against pretty boys. When you are almost dead, you flare red and Omni-Shoot.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,103
# 7
02-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curs0r View Post
There is a discernible difference between a lack of content, and a lack of content that is interesting to a wide audience. This game has things to do, certainly. It has very little to do that I find interesting, or worthy of my time. That's a problem for me, but not for everyone. When you introduce a finite grind like the rep systems, some will be pretty much immediately put off when they see their first 20 hour timer. In that case that content may as well not exist to that player. Then when you attach a themepark planet to that system, and that planet's purposes pretty much solely to that system, any of the content on that planet is also nullified as it's a subset of a system that has already discouraged that player. So when a player says there's 'no' content, that probably just generally refers to the fact that there's no content they personally enjoy. Exaggeration happens. It may not seem constructive to see that kind of feedback, but it does tell you that the current systems in place are not satisfactory to all. That too has its value I suppose.
That's the thing; currently STO does feel like a themepark where everything is in it's own little area. Nothing feels connected, epic, or big. With Reputation and Starbases, we could have this huge interconnected system with all sorts of activities and random stuff for you to try for hell of it. But instead we have something that takes the small content, and makes it feel smaller.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 497
# 8
02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
That's the thing; currently STO does feel like a themepark where everything is in it's own little area. Nothing feels connected, epic, or big. With Reputation and Starbases, we could have this huge interconnected system with all sorts of activities and random stuff for you to try for hell of it. But instead we have something that takes the small content, and makes it feel smaller.
I have to agree. It does make it feel smaller.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,068
# 9
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM
They should interconnect some of the Romulan missions to the rep system. In any of the missions where you are helping Romulans, you earn a small amount of RM. This would give a player who is leveling up a chance to get a small head start on the Rep system. Also, it gives some the the missions a replay value.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 940
# 10
02-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
That's the thing; currently STO does feel like a themepark where everything is in it's own little area. Nothing feels connected, epic, or big. With Reputation and Starbases, we could have this huge interconnected system with all sorts of activities and random stuff for you to try for hell of it. But instead we have something that takes the small content, and makes it feel smaller.


I agree. I had been hoping that Starbases were going to be part of an Exploration Exspanse thing. I thought that maybe we'd get a big area that random generates worlds and systems (like what we got now but with much more variety). You could go out find new species, new races, and usable materials. You could only travel so far until your ship's supplies ran low and you would have to return to your Faction territory.

I was hoping that your Fleet could do this, gathering the materials and recruit the new species that they find in to a Fleet Pool. That pool could be used to set up Planetary Bases and Starbases in the expanse systems that you had uncovered. Those would, in turn, allow you to resupply there rather than going back to the Faction Territory and add different purchasables depending on what type of system your base was in. Then you could explore further out. Stretch out and make a second base in a good system. So and so forth.

I thought that maybe one Fleet could attack an Enemy Fleet's bases. That would set the enemy back on their materials and whatnot. General multi-Fleet PvP fun and Exploration all rolled in to one cool system.

Buuuut no. Instead we an instanced Starbase right next to a canon Starbase and it was all just a Dilithium Sink. Joy.

Last edited by jslyn; 02-15-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 PM.