Starfleet Veteran
# 31
02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by origcaptainquack View Post
interesting stuff, i wonder if russia did cause the meteor to explode to prevent a major crash?
A meteor that size will typically explode on its own, it's called an air burst. They're usually low density stony meteorites or comet fragments, but not always - the Sikhote-Alin air burst was an iron meteorite. If the conditions are right, a meteor will break up in a way that suddenly exposes a large surface area to ablation, and the sudden increase in heating blasts the object apart. It's not technically an explosion, but only in the way that most Hollywood special effects aren't technically explosions - there's a boom and a lot of fire

The last one was in Brazil in the late 90's, not as large as this one, though in 1993 there was one much larger than this in Itlay at a much higher altitude.

Last edited by hevach; 02-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Captain
# 32
02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
They call Tunguska an Impact Event and it blew up 3 to 6 miles above the ground.
Thank ye. I wasn't sure if there was an astronomical term to differentiate between direct impacts (ala Yucatan) and air bursts (ala Tunguska / yesterday).
Ensign
# 33
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
You think that special effects in Hollywood films is pretty good, and then something like it happens in real life and you realise that CGI has nothing on Mother Nature. Just, wow!!!
Career Officer
# 34
02-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
From the videos I saw, I was completely amazed at how no one was pulling their cars over to take a look at this thing, not even when it exploded overhead.

What do you do when there's a giant fireball streaking through the sky dangerously close and exploding overhead, turning dawn into noon in bright flashes? Who cares? The light just turned green! The traffic must continue!
Russians take everything in stride, even random cosmic smitings.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 35
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Thank ye. I wasn't sure if there was an astronomical term to differentiate between direct impacts (ala Yucatan) and air bursts (ala Tunguska / yesterday).
At those speeds it's still an impact whether it's hitting the atmosphere or hitting the ground, the one video with that loud bang gave me a deja'vu moment, remembering when I was a kid before they had banned low altitude supersonic flights over population areas. Man that was one hell of a bang.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
First Tunguska, now this - what did poor Russia ever do to those meteors!?
Career Officer
# 37
02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
First Tunguska, now this - what did poor Russia ever do to those meteors!?
When your country spans 13 time zones it sort of makes an inviting target...

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
When your country spans 13 time zones it sort of makes an inviting target...
Geotemporal hubris, it'll get you every time.
Community Moderator
# 39
02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
I've been reading and watching stuff about this most of today, find it very fascinating, though I do feel for those who've been injured.

I'll leave you with this meme...

"IN SOVIET RUSSIA...

SPACE EXPLORE YOU!
)"
Twitter: @STO_Alecto | Voluntary Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums | Ferasan Shadow Force
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs.
Captain
# 40
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Well we can thank the Moon that we don't get hit a lot more.