Lt. Commander
# 1 Noob in need of help
02-15-2013, 12:02 AM
So it's been well over a year since I've done anything in the foundry, and even then I wasn't that good. So I'm not sure if what I want to do can be done.

So far, this new mission I'm creating is coming out fantastic, but now I'm stuck and I was hoping somebody could point me to a tutorial or explain how it can be done.

What I want to do is for the player to reach an area, a force field pops up(which I got this working) and then after intereacting with the force field a character beams in and you have to interact with them.

Everything works except when the character beams in there's no interaction button, thus the mission cannot be completed.

I'm using the state so he doesn't show up until the mission to contact him is in progress.

What am I doing wrong? Am I making this more complicated than it should be or is this just another one of those things that can't be done?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.
Captain
# 2
02-15-2013, 12:06 AM
If this character is an NPC contact and it is part of the quest order, you can write the dialog for him to be spoken to at that part of the quest. There is a setting to have him appear when the objective is in progress.

If he isn't part of the direct story line, go to the NPC's options and select the box "Has Default Text" in which you can make the default text that players will see when they talk to contact.

If this isn't an NPC, but say, an inanimate rock or pile of goo (everyone loves Bob the Blob) you will need to use an invisible block as a trigger for the speech dialog box, have that block appear when the object you want them to interact with appears.

Does that help you out?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
If this character is an NPC contact and it is part of the quest order, you can write the dialog for him to be spoken to at that part of the quest. There is a setting to have him appear when the objective is in progress.
This is exactly what I'm trying to do, but no button comes up unless I leave his state as "immediately". the only other option is to have it in progress which is what I have it set to,I'm just confused as to why it's not working.

He beams in at the right time, but no button comes up even though I have him set as the contact objective.
Career Officer
# 4
02-15-2013, 12:28 AM
So you have the objective after interacting with the forcefield as Dialog with Contact and that NPC selected as the target?

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2013, 12:33 AM
I finally figured it out, for some reason it wouldn't let me interact with him through the bortg force field, I used broken force field instead and now it works perfectly
Captain
# 6
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff484 View Post
I finally figured it out, for some reason it wouldn't let me interact with him through the bortg force field, I used broken force field instead and now it works perfectly
Aaaaah, they were on the other side. Yeah, some of them act as walls which would block your ability to speak through them. You'd need to do an interact object and a pop up dialog to do it with one of those.

Glad it got sorted out.
Rihannsu
# 7
02-15-2013, 06:42 AM
you could do a default interact with an object instead of the NPC and make the object use the NPC's picture when talked to.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.