Commander
# 11
02-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussdelphin2 View Post
so I don't see a need to know how many active accounts the game has.
But when being on the record and citing numbers without being fully specific could be construed in a negative fashion. Big difference between accounts and characters but I guess it doesn't matter what he says when dealing with a MMO community who just throw their money at a company and hope for the best.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Captain
# 12
02-15-2013, 08:11 AM
I'd say a few thousand people play the game. The rest is all just made up puffery from Cryptic's notoriously bad PR crew.
Commander
# 13
02-15-2013, 08:15 AM
it would be interesting to know how many players there are.

in a similar post i had asked about the number of fleets that are active, number of fleets that failed, % of fleets by large, medium and small, etc.

after much research i determined the answer was not to be had. probably the same with the number of players.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Captain
# 14
02-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I'd say a few thousand people play the game.
There was over 12k people in queue when the Anniversary event started, so there's more then a 'few thousand' people playing this game.
Captain
# 15
02-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
There was over 12k people in queue when the Anniversary event started, so there's more then a 'few thousand' people playing this game.
That isn't supported by what Jack Emmert said. So I don't know if I find that information reliable.
Captain
# 16
02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
That isn't supported by what Jack Emmert said
I'm not sure what Jack said, and I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in it. But there were plenty of threads here with people complaining about their spot in the line. At one point people were saying they had around 12k people in line, which doesn't include all the people playing the game.
Career Officer
# 17
02-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Also note that those were at worst semi-retired players. It doesn't really attract people who have actually quit.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Community Moderator
# 18
02-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
I'm not sure what Jack said, and I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in it. But there were plenty of threads here with people complaining about their spot in the line. At one point people were saying they had around 12k people in line, which doesn't include all the people playing the game.
According to people in the REDALERT channel at the time, the queue exceeded 14.7k at one point.

There are over 2,000 on from Steam clients alone as we speak, and this is far from a peak activity time. Peak Steam concurrency has exceeded 2,500 this morning. Again, that's CONCURRENT, not totals.

Of course, most people don't play via Steam. For example, EVE shows 831 people on via Steam right now, and I bet actual concurrency in game is more like 3,000. (Can't check right now.)

If ratios are similar (and I have no reason to believe they are or aren't), that would imply over 5,000 playing at the moment, with the majority of the US playerbase at work or in school.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Republic Veteran
# 19
02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
5, There Are 5 Players. We Are All Just Constructs In An Mmo Called "earth" And There Are Ony 5 Sentient Beings Out Side Of It.
There Are Four Light!!!

Career Officer
# 20
02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardtheiii View Post
Hello fellow Captains!!!

I'm creating this thread out of a desire to actually understand the "true" number of players that enjoy STO.

We have heard a few things from the DEVS about "total number of captains" and that this game is "larger" than CHAMPS, but I feel that some real info is still lacking.

Obviously in a "F2P" game the number of accounts is rather irrelevant.

Something along the lines of max concurrent players or total payed subscriptions (excluding LTS that haven't logged in for the last 30 days) would be more relevant.

Tonight I saw 4 instances of Qonos or so for about ~300 players and I saw ESD at about 10x that or about 3000.

I looked in the PVE Q and other such lists and saw in a generous manner about 500. Throw in DS9, space dock and other places I think maybe a couple more thousand.

Evening in the USA I think concurrent users are ~10k as a very generous number. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks.
No one knows that answer to your question because normal players are not privy to that information. Only Cryptic can answer that question for you.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us