Commander
# 31
02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Those 2 millions captains from the aniversary promo are probably registered accounts, copies sold from the original format and users registered into STO since the F2P launch. Considering that in comparsion with other MMO's numbers, the average of actual active players could something be about 50.000.

This isnt bad at all, taking a very close example: Battlestar Galactica Online has almost 20 millions registered accounts, but by first hand I know it has about 50.000 active players, maybe a little bit more, but that's all. That considering that Battlestar Galactica is suppored in more than 10 languages and it has much more advertising.

For STO, only suported in 3 languages and almost without advertising, 50.000 active players from 2.000.000 accounts its a good number.
[That's it, Spanish and/or Hispanic Fleet]
L'Ter@lotherus - Alien Sci Officer - Wells/Destroyer
(No quiero mas reputaciones - No more rep!)
Rihannsu
# 32
02-15-2013, 10:55 AM
my own personal tip would be something between 50k and 250k, with the last 100k returning players which are playing for a week, experience all the new content, leave some cash buying some ships, come back in 2-3 months or with a new update.

why? cause 5k online means - 1k grinders doing STF's, 1k casuals playing missions, 3k DOFFers, which tend to log in for 30 minutes a day just to take care of their crew.

i also know of some people which are waiting for playable romulans and are refusing to play other toons.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Republic Veteran
# 33
02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Could the situation change? Sure, but I don't think STO is in danger of sunsetting (or seeing CBS pull the ST MMO IP rights from Cryptic) anytime soon.
STO came close to sunsetting a year and a half ago. Things haven't changed that much. The big boss have bigger pockets this time but not unlimited ones. CBS and cancelling, not a good combination historically.

The recent series of questionable moves is disconcerting.
Career Officer
# 34
02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
Those 2 millions captains from the aniversary promo are probably registered accounts, copies sold from the original format and users registered into STO since the F2P launch. Considering that in comparsion with other MMO's numbers, the average of actual active players could something be about 50.000.

This isnt bad at all, taking a very close example: Battlestar Galactica Online has almost 20 millions registered accounts, but by first hand I know it has about 50.000 active players, maybe a little bit more, but that's all. That considering that Battlestar Galactica is suppored in more than 10 languages and it has much more advertising.

For STO, only suported in 3 languages and almost without advertising, 50.000 active players from 2.000.000 accounts its a good number.
However BSGO is also a browser MMO - and that turns off a good chunk of people right there.

In an interview Jack Emmert stated STO was 'more successful then City of Heros at its peak'. back in the early days of CoH NCSoft used to include hard subscription counts for CoH and CoH peaked at around 240,000 subs at its start. DStahl also stated they recently had their biggest month (numbers wise) of players recently -- so depending on the stock you give these comments, it appears the minimum recently is 240K-plus players; and the maximum is anyone's guess up to 2 million - without more concrete statements.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Community Moderator
# 35
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Cool so STO has 5 years to go then.
Probably more, since it's currently bigger than CoH was at its peak, and is being published by a company that HASN'T closed more MMOs than they have active.

I think NCSoft is unique in the industry in that dubious position.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
2500 now just on Steam.
Commander
# 37
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
However BSGO is also a browser MMO - and that turns off a good chunk of people right there.

In an interview Jack Emmert stated STO was 'more successful then City of Heros at its peak'. back in the early days of CoH NCSoft used to include hard subscription counts for CoH and CoH peaked at around 240,000 subs at its start. DStahl also stated they recently had their biggest month (numbers wise) of players recently -- so depending on the stock you give these comments, it appears the minimum recently is 240K-plus players; and the maximum is anyone's guess up to 2 million - without more concrete statements.
Well I can believe than STO has reached 200-300k active players in two or three specific peaks (F2P launch, S6 Launch, New Romulus and close to it, Winter Event followed closely by the Ambassador). Its a good average, but for me its just impossible that in the long months of drought between "events" and "bran new seasons" the average of active players keep so high, specially for a game that only has 2 millions accounts...

With that said, I think 50-100k active players between peaks its more than a succesfull average.
[That's it, Spanish and/or Hispanic Fleet]
L'Ter@lotherus - Alien Sci Officer - Wells/Destroyer
(No quiero mas reputaciones - No more rep!)
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taergon View Post
Why ask for an opinion over a fact that nobody knows?
Well there are folks to do not, but just don't release that information for some unknown reason.

And there are ways as I attempt to illustrate to generate numbers, with everyone being on the same server and such you can see how many people are in zones so checking the popular ones and looking at PVE lists you can get a pretty good idea.
Starfleet Veteran
# 39
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
There Are Four Light!!!
Ahhhh you saw what I did there.

+1 internet
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Commander
# 40
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
They won't say how many players actively play the game for one simple reason.

If they release figures now, and figures in a year and the ones released in a year are even slightly less, people will act like the sky is falling.

Look at what happened on the WoW forums when they announced they'd gone from 11 million subs to 10 million, people acted like Blizzard were going to pull all support from the game if it dropped any more.