Lt. Commander
I am a returning player, trying it out after being long away.
Now, I got a new computer since then, and now I have tried to get back on it in a few days.
But every time I try to log on to cryptic with that login program, it crash, seems it crash even before it even tries to connect to any server.

I suspect it may be have something to do with my C drive, it is an SSD, a cheap one =D
and its almost full, if the game requires to fill it with hundreds of megabytes of useless information to work, it can't.

Also, when I look at the game files, I see nothing but the .HOGG files, so I can't find the game client program to launch manually(I downloaded the game with the torrent method, I also have the DVD).

I need help.

EDIT: uh, and I am not a dumb player who haven't tried the obvious, but please, list all the thing you would have tried in case I missed something.
I have also added an DxDiag, although I hardly believe that to help.
My computer is somewhat messed up with that small SSD, I',m planning on upgrading with an better SSD.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
if you are trying to install to your c: drive i see you only have 1.5gb free space as soon as sto fills this space up the launcher will crash.
you have enough space to install the game on your other drives so install there. the game needs aprox 10gb space to work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
ok, that was mr. obvius nr1. My game is installed on my D drive.
Over 30 GB of free space left there.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
A agree with the poster above - these days (and on a 64-bit system) 1.5 GB of remaining space is WAY LOW; and could be causing issues.

Also, I there's a more recent video driver (yours appears to be from May) available from Nvidia:

Version: 280.26 WHQL
Release Date: 2011.08.09
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 137 MB

Although I doubt the crash issue is due to your video driver. Also, make sure you're running the game as Administratior; and if you have either X-Fire, or TeamViewer installed <--- These are known to cause issues with the STO client.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Never though teamviwer could be a problem. I guess they most share a port.
I never use teamwiever, so I uninstall it and try it again then.

I post another reply once I done that.

and no, I don't have x-fire, although I used it a few years ago(not on this pc).
Lt. Commander
Well, I cliked "submit" without filling in accound name/password, this used to crash it, now it says "invalid" So, I guess this solved it.

AND TO ANY CRYPTIC PEOPLE WHO READ THIS, FIX YOUR D***** F****** ERROR PUP-UPS, IT COULD HAVE TOLD ME IT WAS AN PORT ERROR!!!

[Insert extremely angry face here]

EDIT: logged on with the loaded successfully, updating to latest patch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-28-2011, 10:26 AM
:-) glad you sorted it
i have a small ssd drive with windows on my self and had to create a bit of space before mine would install even to another drive
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
installing to another drive (or patching) can still be affected by low space on the c drive.
Why? Because lot of programs and windows will put working files in a temp directory. By default windows sets the OS evniroment TEMP directory to the C: drive.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Problem solved
01-23-2012, 06:18 AM
I also had the problem with instantaneous program crash upon login. The simple solution was (as suggested above) to quit TeamViewer. Why STO is intolerant of TeamViewer I will never know.
Ensign
# 10
02-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow.... of all things teamviewer... well im glad that this worked for me. Thanks for the post!