Lt. Commander
# 11
01-11-2010, 03:44 PM
The issue I'm having is that the downloader hard locks my machine. Yes, I've already posted this elsewhere, but it fits in more here. Basically any time the download rate goes beyond 110KBs or so, it will appear to freeze. I say appear because when I looked at the last hard lock it was at 6%, it started downloading today and it was already at 8%. I am just wondering if I should perhaps leave it 'frozen' and hope it knows what it's doing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Running Win7 Enterprise N (64). So far so good.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unowned
Are there any known issues with this version of windows and STO?
I havent had any problems with Windows 7 (64)
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
I really, really like Win7 64-bit, BUT it's been giving me fits whenever I try to connect my desktop to the building router downstairs using USB wireless.

This wireless setup was rock-steady and rock-solid when I was running Win XP, but every since I switched to my new rig with Win 7, my wireless connection has been very unsteady.

There's been some chatter about the Win 7 64-bit wireless problem on the `net, but I haven't seen a solution yet.

RAlink -- the company which makes the technical "guts" for most of the brand-name USB wireless adapters out there released a supposed "universal fix driver" through Windows Update recently -- but it did absolutely nothing for my desktop.

So, long as you're not using USB wireless to connect a desktop rig with Win 7 64-bit, you should be okay. I'm told that laptop wireless works slightly differently, and works fun under Win 7 64.

Pity is, I think Win 7 is the best Windows version in a dog's age, but this desktop wireless problem has been costing me money.

I usually handle my own tech, but I'm baffled, and thisclose to hiring someone to come in and sort it all for me.

So -- as long as you don't plan to connect a desktop rig to the internet using a USB wireless adapter, Win 7 should be your new best friend.

My opinions, anyway,

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-11-2010, 04:47 PM
no prob . i run vista 64 bit .and have win 7 on a another pc. and have played in cloased beta no prob
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermistshadow View Post
The issue I'm having is that the downloader hard locks my machine. Yes, I've already posted this elsewhere, but it fits in more here. Basically any time the download rate goes beyond 110KBs or so, it will appear to freeze. I say appear because when I looked at the last hard lock it was at 6%, it started downloading today and it was already at 8%. I am just wondering if I should perhaps leave it 'frozen' and hope it knows what it's doing.
Yes, let's just ignore the elephant in the room and tell ourselves that since we don't have a problem, no one else possibly could.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Win 7 64 bit Pro + ATI 4870x2 (crossfire on one card), latest ATi drivers, no dramas with graphics or FPS.

Obviously there was some crashing in the CB, but every time was related to the game client rather than the OS. Runs fine for me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
The only issue I have is, imo, a Microsoft issue. I currently run STO on Win 7 and have had no problems with the game. The problem I do have with Win 7 x64 is sound has static.

I have had issues with other games and other applications as well.

I know it is not my hardware as my computer is configured to dual boot into either Win XP x32 or Win 7 x64. In the Win XP I have not had any problems with sound and/or static.

I have come across postings on the Internet with other stating it appears to be a Wiin 7 x64 issue.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermistshadow View Post
Yes, let's just ignore the elephant in the room and tell ourselves that since we don't have a problem, no one else possibly could.
no idea what your problem is caused by. I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and just downloaded the client with no freeze or lock up. i was also getting somewhere around 1200kb/s download rate.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Zero issues with 64 bit windows 7. I do believe the client runs in 32 bit which windows 7 handles nicely. The only issue I have with STO online and windows 7 is when I forget windows 7 reboots itself when I plug in my zune and I have to restart a mission in STO due to the reboot. so.. not really a STO online issue.