Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Ask Cryptic: February 2013
02-15-2013, 01:00 PM
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Daniel Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

These questions were asked last Thursday and Friday (2/7 and 2/8) in this thread, as well as in our French and German forums.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 2
02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Very vague answers, but season 8 does look hopeful. No idea what he means by structural changes to the character creators. It sounds like they're just shifting the code around, but nothing new will happen with it.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!
Career Officer
# 3
02-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Fantastic. Thanks. I really enjoy reading these.

Even though it's not always possible to fully answer all the questions, I like reading the answers given, and applaud you for attempting to answer them anyway.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Republic Veteran
# 4
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
SO a ship with more than 4 forward and 4 back slots??? Interesting
Captain
# 5
02-15-2013, 01:21 PM
The sad part is the thing that excited me the most was the suggestion we might actually get a beagle pet. I'm so easy.

The trait reset/redesign suggestion for May is interesting. I suspect they'll be adding quite a few, and maybe doing something where each race has something like 3 space and 3 ground traits. But that's complete speculation of course. Would add quite a bit of flavor to characters, I think (and it is wrong that so many races have no possibility of a space bonus).
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Career Officer
# 6
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Q: (nometa) Will we be able to get a Romulan Warbird or a D?deridex class now that we?re helping the Romulans on New Romulus?

Dstahl: We discussed this opportunity when we were developing Season 7, however we decided that player interest in a Romulan faction is so high that we need to reserve these ships for a future update when we can implement a playable Romulan faction. So until then, these ships will be off limits to the Romulan Reputation System!
Well, that's a big hint as any.

Quote:
Q: (blubsplash) Have you ever thought about implementing a socketing system for gear?

Dstahl: Yes we have and, in fact, we will be implementing a new type of gear for the May update that will use a socketing feature.
Could this be the "warp core design" addition mentioned a week or so ago?

Quote:
Q: (psycoticvulcan) Would it be possible to redo the KDF tutorial mission where you have to run around Qo?noS?

Dstahl: Yes. We have someone working on changing the KDF tutorial right now. It is scheduled to be released in a future update.
I'm sure this will perk the ears of some of the KDF players. "Fascinating" is all I can say for now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Vice Admiral T'Phira, Ragnarok Fleet - Head of Logistics Division; Captain Selena, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain Altecha, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain K'Kera, Ragnarok Fleet
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Career Officer
# 7
02-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Ugh, socketing... crafting will probably become mandatory for those wanting the best socketables.
----
Career Officer
# 8
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Yes. We have someone working on changing the KDF tutorial right now.
1. Is this a "working in their spare time" statement, laudable as that is?

Quote:
If and when we release a Romulan faction, you can expect that it would set the stage for how a Cardassian, Borg, or any other faction would be introduced into the game.
... and perhaps a 're-introduction' for a renewed Klingon faction.

2. Will socketed gear be derived from the crafting system?

I don't understand how lockbox ships are seen by the developers as being "proportionally rare" when you can often find yourself in a PUG team with 4 out of five non-faction ships.

I don't think I'll ever understand the developer's obsession with expanding the Mirror Universe. I understand it has its fans, but, surely, its the prime universe which should be the content priority. I worry that if a MU centric FE series was ever created it would send the wrong signal to the devs on how many people played it. I feel we'd all play it because we like any content over no content - and not because we prefer the game to delve into the Mirror Universe instead of primary canon meat and potatoes.

... and yay for IDIC hopefully in May.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 9
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altechachan View Post
Could this be the "warp core design" addition mentioned a week or so ago?
A warp core slot for ships and a tricorder slot for ground?

If this were the case I would like to see exclusive bind on equip variants obtainable via crafting, rep grind, and STF drop something for everyone that way.
----

Last edited by brigadooom; 02-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Q: (johnathan180) Is there any way that we could see the Terran Empire as a playable faction or get more ships?

Dstahl: We have considered the Terran Empire, and more generally the entire Mirror Universe, as a possibility for expanding the game in the future. Before we decide, we would create a Mirror Universe feature episode series and then gauge interest on whether a full expansion into the Mirror Universe would be viable or not. In any event, we will continue to add more Mirror Universe ships and ship designs to the game as time goes on.

Hell yeah!

Easy way around this is...

Mirror Series (let us play our counter part.. aka you throw mirror markings on our ships.. which at a alter date i'll spam with z-store requests)

Mirror Reputation (let X player decide whether they want to "defect" to the evil side upon hitting t5 while technically still part of the fed/kdf (we'd be those admirals selling our stuff to the mirror universe )