Empire Veteran
Here's something that has always bugged me...

What was Khan's plan with the Genesis Device? Obviously yes, his desire was to 'going on hurting' Kirk, and of course that failed to which he blew himself to kingdom come, and made the Genesis Planet, etc etc.

But if he'd succeeded...what would he have done with it? I always thought it would be one of two things:

1. He would take the Device to Earth, and used it on the planet to wipe out most of humanity, and rebuild in his own way.

2. Return back to Ceti Alpha 5, and use it there, also to rebuild it due to the fact that it is still there, and honestly most people probably wouldn't even know about Genesis.

Am I missing something? Was it explained somewhere, or something else I just don't know?

Starfleet Veteran
# 2
04-17-2013, 12:57 AM
I don't think they ever actualy said what his plan was. But as a weapon it was crappy (only 1 shot) and it also failed as a terroforming device (although kahn wouldn't have known that at the time).

Really I got the feeling he simply wanted revenge and had no real plan beyond that. He did exhibit all the signs of an unstable leader.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Career Officer
# 3
04-17-2013, 12:57 AM
I always had the impression that he was going after the Genesis device as a way of getting Kirk's attention to set him up for a trap. I don't actually he ever thought ahead to what he would do with the device if he got away with it. Your theories are both plausible, though.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Empire Veteran
# 4
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
I don't think they ever actualy said what his plan was. But as a weapon it was crappy (only 1 shot) and it also failed as a terroforming device (although kahn wouldn't have known that at the time).

Really I got the feeling he simply wanted revenge and had no real plan beyond that. He did exhibit all the signs of an unstable leader.
If memory serves, from the Genesis Wave novels; the Genesis Device only really failed, not so much because of the protomatter, but because it had to also create a planet and a star from the Mutara Nebula, and thus when it was terraforming the planet, it simply did not have enough power to finish the job, hence the unstable planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
I always had the impression that he was going after the Genesis device as a way of getting Kirk's attention to set him up for a trap. I don't actually he ever thought ahead to what he would do with the device if he got away with it. Your theories are both plausible, though.

I like what both of you have said. I didn't really think about that before. It was just...convenient really. He probably would've taken any chance he got of course, but Genesis just happened to be what destiny put in his hands.

Captain
# 5
04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
The Genesis device is an ultimate weapon: it destroys a planet with a single use - which is why the Klingons wanted it. What you have is the ultimate Blackmail device: give me what I want or I erase your planet. Plus Khan was more then smart enough to use the data to create additional Genesis Devices.

Khan didn't even need to go after Federation targets. He could blackmail any planet, mining colony, etc. Once his resources were increased and his power-base was established then he could decide to make a move on the Federation. Or perhaps he would be content to just dominate some other civilization.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Survivor of Romulus
Rihannsu
# 7
04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Maybe but that was not the point.

Kirk had nothing to do with the Genesis project, Khan needed to lure Kirk and so he set up it in a way that Kirk would come.

This is why its a good movie, its not about WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION but a revenge story, the Genesis device is only the glue to make it stick but its just about it, even Search for Spock is not about it even when its certainly more focused on the Genesis device.
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Captain
# 8
04-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Khan had no plan, just a vague goal of 'revenge'... Some random Klingon who didn't even care who Kirk was, was able to wound him more greatly than Khan could ever have done...
Republic Veteran
# 9
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Khan had no plan, just a vague goal of 'revenge'... Some random Klingon who didn't even care who Kirk was, was able to wound him more greatly than Khan could ever have done...
unsure about that one. Sure a Klingon killed his son.... one that he only knew for a few days or weeks at most. but khan caused the death of Spock.... one of his closest friends who he's known most of his career.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Empire Veteran
# 10
04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
If Khan only wanted Genesis to get Kirk, he would have left it underground with him. So he must have had some reason to want the device itself.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING