Survivor of Romulus
# 21
02-17-2013, 01:43 AM
The one that bothers me the most is the 'stern' animation you can choose in character creation; it looks broken, with the character's rear end sticking out incredibly far and their spine just way too stiff. It's like a bad actor's (read: Nicholas Cage) version of "be a stern task master."

I miss the old passive animations.
Captain
# 22
02-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Although several of the animations in this game make me literally cringe at times (because I actually know how to do animations for games and I can see what is wrong with them), the only one that I truly hate is the female run cycle. No one with military training (or even an amateur interest in cardio workouts) would ever run like that. That's how a bimbo running from an axe murderer in a cheesy hollywood horror movie runs. I always have to whip out my rifle so that my character doesn't embarrass herself with that abomination of motion. The rest of the animations I can tolerate or generally not scrutinize.
--------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========--------------
>>>CLICK HERE FOR DELTA RISING GEAR UPGRADE COST TABLE<<<
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>Check out my redesign concept images<<
>Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored<
Captain
# 23
02-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Although several of the animations in this game make me literally cringe at times (because I actually know how to do animations for games and I can see what is wrong with them), the only one that I truly hate is the female run cycle. No one with military training (or even an amateur interest in cardio workouts) would ever run like that. That's how a bimbo running from an axe murderer in a cheesy hollywood horror movie runs. I always have to whip out my rifle so that my character doesn't embarrass herself with that abomination of motion. The rest of the animations I can tolerate or generally not scrutinize.
Interestingly enough, I noticed something rather clever about the female run cycle. That one you mention only appears if your character is using the "feminine", "cute", or "seductive" stances. If you use "relaxed" or "brawler" it uses the male run cycle.

A nice touch actually.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 24
02-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
Gerry Anderson puppets were better animated!
That's it!!! Now ya done it!! I want it!!!

I would love for my Excelsior computer say " Transwarp drive in 3......2.....1.....THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO! "

LTS Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currenty unsupervised, anyone who knows me will inform you that his will mostly lead to trouble.=3
Dragons go RAWR!
Captain
# 25
02-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Interestingly enough, I noticed something rather clever about the female run cycle. That one you mention only appears if your character is using the "feminine", "cute", or "seductive" stances. If you use "relaxed" or "brawler" it uses the male run cycle.

A nice touch actually.
Hmm, I never change my stance from feminine.

That's another thing, I wish we could change those on the fly without going out of our way to visit a tailor. Kinda like a 'persistent emote' that stays in effect until your next stance change or your next relog, with the stance at the tailor your 'default' stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
Gerry Anderson puppets were better animated!
See also.
--------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========--------------
>>>CLICK HERE FOR DELTA RISING GEAR UPGRADE COST TABLE<<<
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>Check out my redesign concept images<<
>Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored<

Last edited by mightybobcnc; 02-17-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Career Officer
# 26
02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
The one that bothers me the most is the 'stern' animation you can choose in character creation; it looks broken, with the character's rear end sticking out incredibly far and their spine just way too stiff. It's like a bad actor's (read: Nicholas Cage) version of "be a stern task master."

I miss the old passive animations.
The stances were mostly based on exaggerations of Trek actors.

Gruff is McCoy. Relaxed is Riker. Twitchy is Data (and was once called "Android"). Cute is Ezri. Seductive is T'Pol. Stern is Worf. (At some points in beta, the female only stances could be used by males too.)

I agree with whoever called for motion capture. A friend of mine (who I took acting classes, including stage movement, with) was the female motion capture actress for Gears of War. I have friends who are actors in San Francisco who fundamentally had the same training. I imagine the expensive part there is the equipment, rented or purchased, and the time spent cleaning up the animations. I doubt it's the actual performance.

Though if you really wanna see Shatner-school acting, get the Ferengi Gambling Device. Use it and win. The facial expressions my character makes really crack me up. (I'll add, it's not the worst; just the funniest. Where it shows interesting promise is how it shows that characters are rigged for facial expressions and probably could be rigged for breathing.)

I am jealous of Champs in terms of animation, which allows you to select both a posture and a default facial expression. It adds something.

In general, Cryptic's approach is based around what I call "opera theatrics." You stage and costume an opera differently than a stage play and a stage play different from a film. Film actors are meant to be seen up close. Stage actors vary based on venue but are still fairly close. Opera actors are not meant to be seen upclose at all. Wrinkles are designed as inch and a half wide inch, high contrast drawings on an opera actor's face and opera actors use very broad gestures so you can see them act even when they're only visible as a tiny spec.

Cryptic seems to really design its MMOs to be played with the camera zoomed waaaaaay out, which explains the costumes, sets, ad animations. And most MMOs are probably too distance oriented for my tastes but I always feel like Cryptic takes that further. I think they're still realing by how close people want the camera to be in STO. But, really, there's two factors driving that: this is a film/TV IP and characters don't look that different from one another at a distance compared to Champs. And characters who are allowed to look that different in STO generally break immersion.
Starfleet Veteran
# 27
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Some of the animations make me laugh, too. I thought it was funny when I did "observe wildlife" on New Romulus yesterday.

Also in dialog when characters move their hands in a circular motion like they're holding a basketball or something. D'Tan does it at the embassy cinematic. I'm like, what the heck are you doing!?
Captain
# 28
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
I saw the title and 2 cutscenes came to mind, same problem.

1) The scene at the end of Second Wave, when Loriss does her running man impression into Sisko's office.

2) The scene in Operation Gamma, when you see a Jem'Hadar soldier doing exactly the same thing while talking to Eraun.

Captain
# 29
02-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Given the budget and time it took to make STO, we are fortunate to get animations.
This is partially true. That said we're three years on, it would not hurt us to get some new ones. There's one animation, it kind of looks like they're kneading bread, but it's used SO much in cut scenes it drives me mad. The DS9 feature episode was epic, the cut scenes were occasionally embarrasing.
Career Officer
# 30
02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
This is partially true. That said we're three years on, it would not hurt us to get some new ones. There's one animation, it kind of looks like they're kneading bread, but it's used SO much in cut scenes it drives me mad. The DS9 feature episode was epic, the cut scenes were occasionally embarrasing.
I just don't understand why they keep having people do broad gestures in cutscenes when other games focus on good "stance" and lips animations and don't bother with all the body language.

The DS9 episodes would have been better if everyone just stood still in the cutscenes.

Whenever I see the broad body language animations, it makes me think that a fairly routine design discussion session at Cryptic must look like an interpretive dance class.

Zero: How is the...

*crosses arms*

Zero: ... polycount budget...

*flings fists out at her sides, stomps her foot*

Zero: ... on the new cruiser...

*pounds her fist into her hand*

Zero: ... coming along, Jamjamz?

*gestures as though mixing a drink*

Jamjamz: Sorry, Zero...

*does tai chi*

Jamjamz: ... I'll have it tomorrow.

*leans as though leaning on desk. his hands hover over the desk*

Tacoboy: FIRE ALARM, EVERYBODY! I don't think this is a drill!

*does the Macarena*