Commander
# 21
02-16-2013, 01:45 AM
The problem is not in your gear (that could be improved with accuracy on your weapons, and a full set like Maco, etc. etc.) Your problem is your boff abilities and how do you use it. You're used to fight against NPC's with awfull AI that dont use more than one or two abilities...

Yes, its sucks to be killed in a blink of an eye, but also mastering your starship and win a hard victory its much more satifactory than defeating a stupid npc.. Its harder, and that's why most people dont try pvp after the first attempt (and cause Cryptic sucks in basic game designing), but in the end, its the maximum satisfacction that this game can give to you.

The best you can do is sharing your abilities layout and we'll try to help you with it.
Career Officer
# 22
02-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Krypter:

You don't really need top-teir reputation and fleet gear to be competitive in PvP. I don't anyway, and I consider myself a fairly average player. You do need better weapons than green Mk XI, however.

With the elite fleet shields PvPers run around with these days I recommend equipping transphasic torpedoes. The best setup for this is to run the Breen "Cold War" episodes and collect the rapid fire transphasic launcher, the transphasic cluster torp, and at least 2/3rds of the Breen Absolute Zero set (engines and shields work best. You'll want a deflector that boosts your shield emitters.) With set 2 you get buffs to EPS systems (which keeps your weapons power up - you'll need that because you should be hitting Beam Overload II every time it recycles) and more importantly a buff to transphasic projectile damage. The cluster torp with this set and a good transphasic compressor module will slice your average BoP's hull strength in half.

What you really need to do is to keybind your abilities so you can buff, debuff and heal on the fly without having to try and hit Alt-6 to use Auxiliary to Dampeners while trying to shoot and maneuver all at once.

Also check your BOff abilities. There are a few that no cruiser captain should ever enter PvP without.

Aux to Dampeners is one. Used in combination with Evasive Maneuvers it will turn the fatest whale into a mako shark (briefly.) Useful for getting the torpedo angle on those shifty BoPs and raptors, or running away if you find yourself out-matched. Also grants a buff to kinetic damage resistance and makes you immune to repel and disable attacks, so click it if you see anything labeled "tricobalt" heading your way.

Directed Energy Modulation - this little button gives your beams a boost to shield penetration. Ditch the tetryon beams, get some phasers or disruptors, use DEM and watch everything suddenly die much faster. Especially useful in combination with Beam Overload.

Eject Warp Plasma. That raptor just cloaked, and you know he's lurking around here somewhere. Is trying to sneak up behind you? Flush him out with EWP. It disables cloaks (not a deliberate drop cloak so no damage buff) and sets him on fire, and gets him stuck in the cloud, and its hilarious. (He will use hazard emitters to put out the fires and attack pattern omega to break the hold on his engines, but he's lost the element of surprise and you've bought yourself a few extra second of him not melting your shields.)

Last but definitely not least, Aceton Beam III. You need this to survive, honestly. It applies a radiation DoT which can be cleared and is no big deal, but it also debuffs your targets energy weapons damage by 75%. Seventy Five Percent. That's a raptor with four DHCs hitting you like its got only one. That is a huge difference, and its usually all you need to tip the balance in your favor. The debuff lasts for 30seconds and best of all it cannot be countered.

"Look at all the pretty lights!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lieutenant
# 23
02-16-2013, 02:03 AM
Wow ok, I never said I was good, never implied I was good and I never said I had good gear. So if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. I'm obviously new because I've made like 12 posts no?

Some of you, thanks for your advice, the rest of you just make me not wanna come to the forum and ask advice lol. Believe it or not, this is where new people come to ask advice. Not to be put down by arm chair cool kids because they know more than someone else because said person is NEW TO THE FREAKING GAME

Captain
# 24
02-16-2013, 02:04 AM
LOL To the OP. Welcome to the world of PvP. I did the same thing too. I took what i thought was an ace build into Keratt and got my backside handed to me on a plate in seconds. You have to realise two things. 1) The ships and gear and boffs these guys use are the best in the game and 2) They will show you no i repeat NO mercy. They will do anything to smash you, kill you and generally blow you out of the sky as fast and a nastily as possible. Human players are also totally unpredictable.

STF is a minor scuffle compared to PvP. If you want to compete on any level in PvP you need to up your game.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Lieutenant
# 25
02-16-2013, 02:15 AM
I actually have no interest in PVP, just looking for a good build.
Republic Veteran
# 26
02-16-2013, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypter3 View Post
If that is what you are looking for, I would HIGHLY suggest talking to PvPers. They can help a lot. Then when you have a build, go back into a war zone. If you can survive in a war zone (meaning you don't die within 5 sec), you will be near unstoppable in PvE. I have learned that even to PvEers, PvP can have its advantages.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Empire Veteran
# 27
02-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypter3 View Post
Build for PvP and you can own at anything. Why settle for less? The PvP community is awesome and willing to help anyone.

I dont like fighting against AI in MMORPGs, if I did then I would stick to single player games. I like a challenge and having to think on the spot and PvP is the challenge.

Jump in to the Organised PvP channel and ask for build help, I'm sure someone would be keen as beans.
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Captain
# 28
02-16-2013, 03:28 AM
I'm still new to the PvP side of the game, and I think it's great fun.

I fly a BoP and it is well equipped. Not the best stuff available but good enough and all easy to get hold of with a few million EC, some Dil and marks.

I've had good days when Feds and Klinks are on even numbers and I manage to take out a few ships. I've had bad days when I am either hopelessly outnumbered and struggling to escape a spawncamp, or I get nuked in seconds by a clearly superior ship.

Only yesterday I was in an arena match against a serious Fed PvP team, 4 of them were in the same fleet and all flying Jem Bugs. We didn't score a single point, they completely obliterated us. At one point I was hit by I can only assume was beam overload, stripped my shields and put me down to 30% hull in a single shot, I'm still wondering where the hell that came from.

The team apologised in zone chat after the match for slaughtering us and I replied GG, nice ships you have there! I had great fun, even though I lost. Of course my team mates weren't so impressed and proceeded to moan and whine in team chat about how the Feds were cheating with shield hacks, I just ignored them.

The secret to PvP is to not take it seriously and have a laugh. Ker'rat zone chat can be very entertaining sometimes
Raagish - KDF Science
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Republic Veteran
# 29
02-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
The secret to PvP is to not take it seriously and have a laugh. Ker'rat zone chat can be very entertaining sometimes
^QFT^

I was in a PvP match the first year I played. I was in a PUG and we were getting our behind handed to us. Some of the people started talking on the local chat. I got on there (after dying for the 3rd time) "Is that all you got? I thought you were Klingons!" and "SHHH, Be vewy vewy qwiet, I am hunting Kwingons." It was a lot of fun. Both sides had a good laugh and generally enjoyed the match.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Captain
# 30
02-16-2013, 03:52 AM
The main problem I can see here is that you are running mainly Uncommon mk viii stuff. You need to bolster your gear to be competitive in PvP as this guy no doubt has purple mk xii everything as most experienced PvP players do. With particular reference to either fleet gear or reputation gear.

In terms of tanking, I would recommend that your first step is to obtain the Aegis set as this will boost you a lot until you can get better gear from the reputation system.
With regard to weapons you need to get ones which have as a minimum one [ACC] modifier or with the best will in the world, you'll be shooting at him all day and probably miss.

Your consoles should at least be rare, but they seem a bit haphazard, the best Armor to have is Neutronium unless you specifically know what you're going up against as it covers all bases reasonably well with one or two of these in rare.
Your tactical consoles should really be boosting your beams as much as possible and your science ones should probably contain at least one field generator to boost your shield capacity.
A number of these consoles can be bought from the dilithium store, crafted or bought from the exchange relativity easily.

Once you've got a few of these items, you will need to have a hard look at your skill tree and bridge officer skills and there are plenty of threads with recommendations for these.

If you don't want to do these things for pvp, I strongly recommend you do some of them anyway as it'll help you stay alive and remain competitive particularly in elite stfs.