Captain
The numbers are in the current PriorityOne podcast, it's linked to on the front page. Since I'm not sure how many people are going to listen to the whole thing and notice this part, I thought it was interesting to bring this up for discussion for the whole board.

Cryptic's assumptions for which they decide the starbase costs on:

- An average fleet has 25 players (active players I assume)
- A fleet member uses 25% of their dilithium income on the fleet

I must say, I find those assumptions reasonable. The size seems realistic (minus maybe the -active- player part) and 25% dil a day (< 2000 dil) is fair too and shouldn't be too much of a burden on anyone's personal needs.

Though the conclusions that Cryptic draws from those numbers...

So they assume that an average fleet has less 50k dilithium a day to work with. (25 * 2000)

So a Tier IV upgrade of the Starbase and the three departments would a cost a total of:

1900000 + 900000 + 900000 + 900000 = 4600000 dilithium
4600000 / 50000 = 92 days.

So it's "working as intended" that it will take an average fleet a quarter year to cross from T3 to T4. Daily projects to get the required XP not even counted. Embassy not even counted.

Yes it's kinda a dead horse how much Cryptic is straining fleets, but this is the first time we have hard and official numbers on which Cryptic operates on.

Discuss
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Hmm. Your calculation of "days" is based on days of play netting 8k dilithium. I play only a few days a week, and some of those I hit the maximum. Perhaps add some slack time to the calculation.

The 'average' size of a fleet might be skewed by a bunch of 500+ fleets, the rest of the fleets could be mostly 5-10 players. Not saying that's true, but a median fleet size would also be nice to know.

I've accepted I'll only ever have a T1 fleet, yet I hope it won't hurt my enjoyment of the game too much. As a casual player I still have lots of content to explore, for now.
Career Officer
# 3
02-16-2013, 05:41 AM
I've yet to hear that Podcast, but if he said 25 was the average and not what they constitute a 'small fleet' (as has been repeatedly said) then I'd agree there is a mismatch.

Still 2k per day is nothing. It leaves plenty of time for people to get Romulan marks as well as Omega (if they desire) without too much of a time tradeoff.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 4
02-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Yeah 2000 daily contributions is a very reasonable number I think. The point where I go "wtf" is how they derive 1.9M dil project costs from that average though.
Captain
# 5
02-16-2013, 05:48 AM
You are forgeting the one thing that is not mentioned - they want people to BUY zen to convert to dilthium to make things go faster - that's how they stay in business. Someone has to buy the Zen. Do you want the game to go "offline"?

He did mention this is a "cryptic kind of way by saying "demand for dilthium in the exchange is higher than ever" - when he was talking about the economy aspect. This is "working as Intended" from a business prospective and I see nothing wrong with it.

They have salaries to pay, lights and servers to keep running and a profit to make or they will be shut down.
Captain
# 6
02-16-2013, 05:57 AM
I don't mind them making a profit (I have nothing against Lockboxes for example), but here the proportions are still off.

At the current exchange rate those 4 upgrades cost 550? together. Considering some people spend 200? to get lockbox ships I get that's not even that insane. Though don't forget the millions of dil the XP projects took too.

If all 25 players of that average fleet chip in with zen for 5?, that's still only a quarter of what's required in total. 5$ was the example Al used himself.
Ensign
# 7
02-16-2013, 06:04 AM
As stated often enough Cryptics 'average' player doesn't play daily, but more 3-5 times a week and won't hit the refinement cap. Thus the contributed dilithium would be way less than the by the op assumed 2k. Cutting the average contribution in half and so doubling the expected timeframes might be more accurate.
Captain
# 8
02-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
I don't mind them making a profit (I have nothing against Lockboxes for example), but here the proportions are still off.

At the current exchange rate those 4 upgrades cost 550? together. Considering some people spend 200? to get lockbox ships I get that's not even that insane. Though don't forget the millions of dil the XP projects took too.

If all 25 players of that average fleet chip in with zen for 5?, that's still only a quarter of what's required in total. 5$ was the example Al used himself.
It's just public relations BS - Mr Stahl aready stated that they expect to make around $2000 per starbase when he was giving an business investor talk or something.

Don't be fooled by the talk of "you can do it just by playing" this is something that they DON'T want you to do - they want a large part to be subsidized by ZEN purchases.

It's a money grab - but since the game is free to play they have to grab the money everywhere they can - it's just the business model.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
It's just public relations BS - Mr Stahl aready stated that they expect to make around $2000 per starbase when he was giving an business investor talk or something.
Got a link? "Or something" isn't as convincing a source as you might imagine.
---
Relax.
Career Officer
# 10
02-16-2013, 07:10 AM
After listening in, it seems to be a real departure from Stahl's fleet terminology. Structuring a system around the average makes sense. But Stahl says that a fleet of 25 and under contributing three times a week is a "great disadvantage" to progressing quickly. So which is it Cryptic?

Perhaps Al just made a slip.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*