Glad to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
and yes the idea is to remove the template

almost all later wars were people copying the Persians
What've the Persians ever given us...

Quote:
personally I have often thought the best way to bring world peace would be to spread us out so wide we almost never saw each other
That would make sense... During the renaissance, various cultures mingled in Venice without too much beef, and that was when cultures had less ongoing exposure to each other, so that may very well be the case... Despite how Humanity is portrayed in Trek as being some kind of 'uniting force', I think the label "Doesn't play well with others..." is probably more realistic
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
02-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
and yes the idea is to remove the template

almost all later wars were people copying the Persians

What've the Persians ever given us...
hmm

The concept of Empire
Taxation
Ladies silk skivies
Jam/preserves
The idea of the letter of credit
Body paint
The Concept of the pension

Think thats about it
Captain
# 23
02-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Quote:
hmm

The concept of Empire
Taxation
Ladies silk skivies
Jam/preserves
The idea of the letter of credit
Body paint
The Concept of the pension

Think thats about it
I would say things we can do without, but jams and preserves are pretty epic
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
02-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Some people would give them up to get rid of Taxes
Career Officer
# 25
02-18-2013, 05:04 AM
I don't believe time travel (in the traditional sense) will ever be possible. Has anyone from the future appeared to us yet to tell us of our impending doom? No. Surely if time travel was possible, someone would have come back to this time by now and told us?

The way I look at time travel is this; if you traveled back in time, you would be attempting to reach a point in which you aren't suppose to exist. Your very being there would alter the fabric of time. Thus, the second you jump back, you would seize to be. You'd have been born and lived, but your story would end when you step into that machine to go back into the past; you'd never actually reach the past because, by doing so, you'd alter the timeline, thus erasing your birth, thus you'd not have been alive to go back in the first place.

Failing that, it's possible that humanity destroys itself before we ever manage to achieve time travel technology.

Quote:
personally I have often thought the best way to bring world peace would be to spread us out so wide we almost never saw each other
This would be the most practical way of evading war, however it would turn up at some point. @ all those who say they'd go back and stop a war, that's great and all, but it would only result in that war being postponed, or fought elsewhere by different nations. If you wanted to stop each and every war ever to occur, you'd forever be jumping through time.

Last edited by flash525; 02-18-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Career Officer
# 26
02-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I don't believe time travel (in the traditional sense) will ever be possible. Has anyone from the future appeared to us yet to tell us of our impending doom? No. Surely if time travel was possible, someone would have come back to this time by now and told us?

The way I look at time travel is this; if you traveled back in time, you would be attempting to reach a point in which you aren't suppose to exist. Your very being there would alter the fabric of time. Thus, the second you jump back, you would seize to be. You'd have been born and lived, but your story would end when you step into that machine to go back into the past; you'd never actually reach the past because, by doing so, you'd alter the timeline, thus erasing your birth, thus you'd not have been alive to go back in the first place.

Failing that, it's possible that humanity destroys itself before we ever manage to achieve time travel technology.

This would be the most practical way of evading war, however it would turn up at some point. @ all those who say they'd go back and stop a war, that's great and all, but it would only result in that war being postponed, or fought elsewhere by different nations. If you wanted to stop each and every war ever to occur, you'd forever be jumping through time.
Please don't kill our fun. Thank you.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Captain
# 27
02-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Some people would give them up to get rid of Taxes
I don't know... As much as I dislike the idea of being taxed, to be fair, without taxes to fund infrastructure, roads would become like dirt tracks etc, so I think that they are a necessary evil...
Captain
# 28
02-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I can see what you mean, but disagree that the time traveler would simply cease to exist, because it would depend upon what changes are made to the timeline. I'm not going to invent time travel myself, so if I was somehow given the ability (By God/Q/Genie in a bottle/Project Quantum Leap) to go back in time, retaining my knowledge from the future and awareness of why I had jumped back, then while the situation I proposed in my first post would radically change any future which I returned to (or I'd be quite happy if it was a one-way one time only jump to simply re-live that alternate future) it would not affect the circumstances of my birth in any way
Captain
# 29
02-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Fight in the army of Julius Caesar
Commander
# 30
02-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Step 1 - Find an investment firm that was around in 1997 and is still going.

Step 2 - Give said firm ?200 to invest in Google stocks as soon as they're available and leave it invested in Google until the date I left the present.

Step 3 - Return to the present and contact said firm.

Step 4 - Profit