Captain
# 1 How I Farm/Grind in STO
02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Disclaimer: I am not endorsing STO becoming a grind fest, nor is farming the only activity I partake in with STO. Also my way might not even be the best way I encourage others to share their methods

Introduction
I have played many an MMO starting with EQ and since then more than I care to count or remember. I have also played many an RPG and farming is something that is simply put part of the genre for better or worse.

STO is no exception to this. And really the amount of quantity of the grind is not that bad it is mostly the time-gating attached to everything that makes it painful. That and the laughably terrible balance between both the rewards granted by various activities along with how quickly some setups can complete them compared to others.

Personally I tend to spend a large amount of time in STO on the weekends, but during the week my game time is very limited. To that end I have two different styles or methods of farming depending on my available time. I also have altitis currently with over 10 VA toons which frankly scares me a bit. So keep the above in mind with what I say latter.

Dilithium
Weekend: Elite STFs are my preferred method. Infected and Cure space take the least amount of time and you get nearly 2k after reputation turn ins for each one. I also like doubling up on the Defari dailies doing them, turning them in and then doing them again along with other miscellaneous sources. Same with my KDF with the 'placeholder' dailies. I also gather a ton of Contraband with my KDF alts to use latter. I can typically earn the 8k in around an hour played.
Weekday: Contraband turn ins primarily and the occasional STF/daily time permitting and Doffing.

Romulan Marks
Weekend: Tau Dewa Patrol daily usually repeating the Japori mission if using a beam boat or the 'Gamma Eridon' for cannon types. It takes around 3 or 4 minutes per mission netting me 75 marks. I only turn in the mission during the bonus even hour to get the increased reward.
Weekday: Bunny tagging. Two minutes, 3 tags isn't bad at all.

Fleet Marks
Weekend: Gorn Minefield if I have the mission otherwise just Doffing it up. The rewards for the missions are too pathetically low when you need 900 for a single project to bother with, Gorn Minefield is only worth it thanks to the dilithium reward.
Weekday: Military Offensive doff mission primarily in Eta Eraidni area with alts plus the good Tactical department head assignments. A few toons hit up colonial assignments as well. Takes a few minutes per toon at most.

Energy Credits
Weekend: Battleship 1 on 1 Foundry mission nets about 300-400k for not quite five minutes of pew pew plus some dilithium. Still worth it. Starbase 24 is good too if you like the rush of the great drop but is unreliable. Also grabbing Alien Artifacts with alts for sale.
Weekday: Same as above but very rarely do I have the time to bother.

Efficiency Matters
This is the most important thing. I do care about completing the STF a minute faster, the daily a minute faster, etc. That is why I only fly what I call warships on the majority of my toons. Warships are any boat that packs DHCs and have the ability to use two cannon skills and two attack pattern skills. This is also related to travel, if I have a spare few minutes during the week when I log on an alt to setup Military Offensive assignments I'll run the Alhena daily. I won't do the Defari dailies unless I can do them back to back. Details like that greatly increase the speed of farming/grinding.

But I find farming relaxing and enjoyable so yeah I"m weird. Although I do still do an Azure Nebula mission from time to time since I really enjoy it.
http://www.helpscout.net/75-customer...es-statistics/
Captain
# 2
02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
With the Fleet Marks grind you're doing, am I correct in assuming you've already maxed out your Mil CXP, and are just trading in the spillover for FMs? Or do the missions you've mentioned actually reward FMs by themselves?

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Captain
# 3
02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
You nailed pretty much how I play too. The only difference is that for EC I pretty much only turn to Doffs Fed-side. Degrinding purples from support crits, selling very rare bridge officers and Alien Artifacts.

I also find STO's grinds relatively relaxing and comfortable. Other MMOs have it much worse. But that's not a popular opinion around these parts with so many Trekkers who never played a different MMO and are butthurt this isn't what they imagined a real life holodeck would be
Captain
# 4
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
With the Fleet Marks grind you're doing, am I correct in assuming you've already maxed out your Mil CXP, and are just trading in the spillover for FMs? Or do the missions you've mentioned actually reward FMs by themselves?
Yes I have. The thing is millitary offensive awards nearly 1k CXP on a sucess and over 3k on a crit. With all purple doffs and a few with traits you can get over a 30% crit chance on the mission. The key is to use only a single Assault Squad, two at most, and the rest purple doffs with a trait or two. Just search the exchange for less popular non civilian doffs that are purple and have a trait or two and you can get them for under 500k EC easily.

Typically their are enough up that I can do a turn in every day or every other day per toon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
You nailed pretty much how I play too. The only difference is that for EC I pretty much only turn to Doffs Fed-side. Degrinding purples from support crits, selling very rare bridge officers and Alien Artifacts.

I also find STO's grinds relatively relaxing and comfortable. Other MMOs have it much worse. But that's not a popular opinion around these parts with so many Trekkers who never played a different MMO and are butthurt this isn't what they imagined a real life holodeck would be
The only thing I despise is how imbalanced the rewards and the ways of earning them are. Can you imagine doing Azure Nebula only for your marks? Or Defari zone for marks instead of STFs? And why on earth can I smash a daily mission in half the time with warships than a whale or space wizard? That is what annoys me.

That and their desire for Massive Fleets. I hate guilds or anything related to them in any game beyond FPS shooter clans. If I could get the variety of ships that are available to fleets via any method that doesn't directly involve joining or paying a fleet for one I would do it. A million dilithium would be preferable per ship to me. The idea that advancing a fleet is the only method of progression one can get in so many areas (boffs, ships, kits, Sci consoles, etc) is abhorrent to me.

Last edited by bareel; 02-17-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Captain
# 5
02-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Yes I have. The thing is millitary offensive awards nearly 1k CXP on a sucess and over 3k on a crit. With all purple doffs and a few with traits you can get over a 30% crit chance on the mission. The key is to use only a single Assault Squad, two at most, and the rest purple doffs with a trait or two. Just search the exchange for less popular non civilian doffs that are purple and have a trait or two and you can get them for under 500k EC easily.

Typically their are enough up that I can do a turn in every day or every other day per toon.
Ah, I see. Cheers

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Captain
# 6
02-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
The only thing I despise is how imbalanced the rewards and the ways of earning them are. Can you imagine doing Azure Nebula only for your marks? Or Defari zone for marks instead of STFs? And why on earth can I smash a daily mission in half the time with warships than a whale or space wizard? That is what annoys me.
This is what I have been complaining about for weeks now. This game has quite a bit of content, and plenty of stuff to do, it's just that the most efficient means of obtaining everything is relegated to very few modes, and those single tracks get old real fast.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 7
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
The only thing I despise is how imbalanced the rewards and the ways of earning them are.
Yeah, I fully agree there. Dil, EC and Omega Marks are fine as they are, but Rommy Marks and Fleect Marks need better ways to be earned.

And there always needs to be some cross-use. The great thing about STFs is, they reward Omega marks AND Dil. And my prefered way to earn FMs was the foundry daily because it rewarded FMs AND dil. Same for the Fleet Action daily, which rewards FMs, Dil AND has a high chance of awarding EC via valuable drops. I'd probably be set with FMs if the Fleet Action wrapper wasn't limited to once a day and if I could freely chose which Fleet Action I do at any time.

Those missions feel rewarding because they are efficient to do. Doing a fleet or Romy event and spending 20 minutes of my time and not getting anything but 25 measly marks just doesn't feel worth my time. That 20 minutes is so much better spend running a STF instead. That's the kind of thing Cryptic still needs to fix.
Captain
# 8
02-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
This is what I have been complaining about for weeks now. This game has quite a bit of content, and plenty of stuff to do, it's just that the most efficient means of obtaining everything is relegated to very few modes, and those single tracks get old real fast.
I agree completely.

Thing is though they cant even balance captain abilities, doff abilities, boff abilities, console desirability, etc and we really expect them to be able to balance an economy?

It would be easy to do, that's the sad thing. Or atleast much better than it currently is.

1- Reduce time gating in content. Nothing should have a longer cooldown than 30 minutes and the vast majority should have none or 10-15 minutes max. Refine cap should be significantly higher. Daily missions/wrappers and Doff mechanics should be the exception to this rule.

2- Stop applying things universally. For example all space STFs have the same reward. Yet Khitomer takes longer due to the double boss fight. It should give 5-10 percent more stuff. The Mark to Dilithium conversion is the same for both even though romulan marks are much harder and time consuming to obtain. Why? It should be 30 romulan marks at most for the 500 Dil.

3- Ground rewards are terrible especially on the EC front. All ground missions should be given a bonus commodity reward.

4- Fleet missions need to give something beyond fleet marks to be relevant. The IOR was not amazing simply because of the huge number of marks it gave but the fact that it gave dilithium as well.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg I hate to say.
Captain
# 9
02-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Romulan Marks
Weekend: Tau Dewa Patrol daily usually repeating the Japori mission if using a beam boat or the 'Gamma Eridon' for cannon types. It takes around 3 or 4 minutes per mission netting me 75 marks. I only turn in the mission during the bonus even hour to get the increased reward.
Weekday: Bunny tagging. Two minutes, 3 tags isn't bad at all.
Where do you get this not in the PVE events windows like STFs?
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Career Officer
# 10
02-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
Where do you get this not in the PVE events windows like STFs?
Tau Dewa Sector Patrol daily is available from Subcommander Mivek under "available" tab or UI button in Tau Dewa sector block. Patrol five or six systems for 60 rom marks (or 75 during rep bonus event.)

You can complete the mission in ten minutes without shooting anybody if you visit Nequencia five times.

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics