Lieutenant
# 1 Romulan MK XII Plasma Weaps
02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Has anybody tried these out? I was messing around and thought about outfitting one of my ships with them, but wanted to know if they were worth it before I dumped 175k dilithium and the EC for consoles.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
02-17-2013, 05:40 PM
if you want to try the beam or dual heavy cannon version there is a Mk 11 Hybrid Disruptor/plasma beam or DHC (at lvl 50)

http://www.stowiki.org/Plasma-Disrup...rid_Beam_Array

and

http://www.stowiki.org/Plasma-Disrup..._Heavy_Cannons

takes awhile to collect though at around 4 hours for 8 beams. This is due to the 30 min CD between replays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Captain
# 3
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynder2012 View Post
if you want to try the beam or dual heavy cannon version there is a Mk 11 Hybrid Disruptor/plasma beam or DHC (at lvl 50)

http://www.stowiki.org/Plasma-Disrup...rid_Beam_Array

and

http://www.stowiki.org/Plasma-Disrup..._Heavy_Cannons

takes awhile to collect though at around 4 hours for 8 beams. This is due to the 30 min CD between replays.
Unfortunately, they do disruptor damage, and don't have the damage boost from either threat console or romulan weapon set.

The romulan weapons are not bad, they are even good, but nothing really better than purple plasma MK XII. I don't think they are worth so much dil.
Captain
# 4
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
The romulan weapons are not bad, they are even good, but nothing really better than purple plasma MK XII. I don't think they are worth so much dil.
I know they're not worth so much dil. I don't know if Cryptic really stepped back and noticed that they're requiring 15K dil for unique set items that you can only have 1 of, but 28.5K dil for items that you're going to want half a dozen of. 6 guns? 171K dil.

It's not like they're even game-breaking either, because they sacrifice one of their other traits to gain the plasma proc.
Captain
# 5
02-17-2013, 07:33 PM
They're not sacrificing anything for the Plasma proc. They're sacrificing a mod for the Disruptor proc. They are Plasma weapons with a Disruptor proc... they're not Disruptor weapons with a Plasma proc.

I don't have any Plasma Array Mk XII's, so I'll just give the min stats from ESD looking at the Exchange, eh?

Plasma Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 [CrtH]
227.9 Plasma Damage (182.3 DPS)
2.5% Plasma DoT (26.8) for 15s
+20% Accuracy
+2% CrtH

Romulan Plasma Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2
225.4 Plasma Damage (180.3 DPS)
2.5% Plasma DoT (26.5) for 15s
2.5% -10.5 Damage Resistance
+20% Accuracy

So it's not just the mod (+2% CrtH in this example), but you'll also notice slightly less damage for both the beam and the DoT...while adding the potential Disruptor proc.

Of course, the Rom Beams come in all sorts of flavors: Accx2, CrtHx2, CrtDx2, Dmgx2, and the various mixes of Acc/CrtH/CrtD/Dmg...

It comes down to how much is that Disruptor proc worth it to you - remember, that's -resistance is hull...not shield damage.

That first Array I listed, the cheapest one is 1.8m EC. The Rom one is 28540 Dil. Let's do some fun conversion stuff, eh?

A Lockbox Key's 1.4m EC. A Lockbox Key's 125 Zen. 1 Zen is currently 90 Dil. So a Lockbox Key is 11250 Dil. 1.4m EC ~= 11250 Dil.

28540 Dil would therefore ~= 3.59m EC. Is the Disruptor proc (-mod, -dmg) worth around double the price of the Array?

How about looking at a couple of other weapons out there to see how they work out, eh?

Phased Polaron Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 - 2.4-2.8m EC
Polaron Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 [CrtH] - 1.25-1.44m EC

Polarized Disruptor Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 - 3.4-3.6m EC
Disruptor Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 [CrtH] - 3-3.45m EC (only two there)

Phased Tetryon Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 - 10-15m EC
Tetryon Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2 [CrtH] - 1.5-2m EC

Then there's also the Spiral Wave Disruptors to consider, eh? 45380 Dil for [Acc]x2 [Dmg]x2 with Phaser/Disruptor procs...and you need to have a Galor in the first place to buy them.

Obviously you can't convert the EC to Dil to buy Zen, etc, etc, etc - but you can go the other way, so it does give you a rough idea on comparative pricing in that sense...like the SWDs being around 5.7m EC each (the amount of EC you might be giving up if you did not convert your Dil to EC via Keys).

Depending on how feels their luck goes with procs, they could probably split Rom and non-Rom, eh? Etc, etc, etc.

On my guy running them, mind you - I took four. Why four and not six? Because it's four of them, the Experimental Beam Array, and the Cutting Beam... mixed in with the Hyper-Plasma and Omega Torps... I think the addition of the Disruptor proc is worth the additional cost.

Whether Plasma is worth it in the first place, is another discussion - but if you're already going that route...
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Commander
# 6
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
fleet (dmgx3) - 147.2 dps
mk 12 (dmgx3) - 145.7 dps
mk 12 (no dmg) - 136.7 dps
romulan (no dmg) - 135.2 dps

(I'm listing the [dmg] versions just to get an idea of how they compare to fleet, [dmg] is the worst of the mods)

What makes the Romulan weapons so good is the +plasma damage consoles and set bonuses included with the rep and embassy system. I'm running 2 of the mk12 embassy +plasma sci consoles and the 2pc of the Romulan weap/console set for a total of +26.8% plasma damage, which is 95% of having an entire extra tac console.

Last edited by thepantsparty; 02-17-2013 at 09:45 PM.