Commander
# 11
02-17-2013, 08:37 PM
There is absolutely no evidence that the May update will cost money to access (except possible for individual ships and the like).

If it is the Romulan faction, they'll make plenty of money on new character slots and the like, as well fleet verisons of Romulan ships.

Also the lockboxes have never been run on Romulan faction which mean that they can release those lockboxes for Romulan characters and make a fortune.

Plus all new Romulan fleet starbases and other dilithium sinks, which means more people buying dilithium with zen.

That's not including other stuff from the C-store.

Charging to play Romulans would only hurt the F2P model and cut into profits.

So this is baseless accusation out of thin air, nothing even hints at this.
Career Officer
# 12
02-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

My guess is that we'll see an expansion that includes a Romulan faction but it will basically be like DCUO's expansions.
Certainly doesn't sound like it .... and IF it's gonna be a real expansion, I'm pretty sure Lifers/subbers will have to pay as well, because ... they have to pay for anything else till now as well .... kind of silly to expect not to pay for an expansion while you have to pay for crap like Lockboxes, Costumes etc

Quote:
Dstahl: We are not ready to begin discussing the details of what is in our May update, however the reference definitely suggests that it is related to Romulans in some way. We will share more news about the update and give a clearer response to your question as we get closer to May.
we need to reserve these ships for a future update when we can implement a playable Romulan faction.
If and when we release a Romulan faction, ....
considering thats from Cryptic's Leading Skycastle Builder ... Season 8 will have nothing to do with Romulans at all

Quote:
So... Missions/gear/faction not available for free. Effectively "leased" to anyone with an active subscription (although you lose access if you drop out as Gold). And a one time fee for free players if they don't want to sub for it.
You don't even lose access to perks you get after subbing for just one month ... one of the reasons subbing is a poor joke ... so this is pretty hard to imagine ...

Quote:
Why? Because there's talk about new lifer/subber benefits.
There is always talk about lifer/subber benefits ... just because people are gonna be pissed if there is not ... last time it was just Neverwinter Beta Access ... before that 10 Bank Slots with the option to pay a fortune to get more ... since we don't have access to NWN-Beta yet, my guess is it's gonna be NWN-Beta Access ... this time for real ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 02-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 13
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
You really don't.
More than you know, bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
'Moneycrunch' or not they are still in business to make money.
If they were out to make money, they wouldn't give out a free expansion. Especially since the majority of players are lifetimers (just look for those 700 Day tags).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuui13 View Post
You're right, and most of us have. However, time, and time again, Things he's said have turned out to not be the case. I lost all faith in him, when he was 'forced' by TGN to admit to not telling us "the whole story" At some point you have to realize that the person can't be trusted for any reason. I, have hit that point.

My belief in him, cost me 300.00 Unfortunately for me, in the end, it wasn't the case.

Never, again.

Ever.
We all got burned by their change of hearts, more some more than others (DTNE Contest to be a major example). But if we completely lose faith in Cryptic, then that's it for STO and Star Trek altogether. Since all we will get of official Star Trek is the new reboot movies for the next decade or so.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
# 14
02-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Paying for mission content seems to be completely foreign to PWE. Which means that PWE has the best F2P system. Other F2P systems have the players paying for actual mission content. The subscriber benefits What I can see happening for May's subscriber benefits is more inventory slots and maybe double the marks. They might also add more slots like ship slots, costume slots, etc.
Career Officer
# 15
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
I can't see that happening.

They've been pretty vehemently against forcing anyone to pay for anything, even though that translates to "awful grind" as the alternative. Painful though it is, it's an incredibly generous business model, and one that so far seems to be working for them. I don't see them changed that now.

I think, if they make a for-pay expansion, it'll be an expensive Z-Store release. 5000+ Zen, easy. Lifers will get it automatically. Golds... well... I think, if they're going to take this route, they may make it so it doesn't unlock for Golds if they only pay for one month's sub. Instead it'll require making at least one payment on a longer-term recurring sub model, to skirt the whole "pay for one month and get everything" trick.
Captain
# 16
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I agree with the nay-sayers. I really doubt an expansion is on it's way, the only MMO's to ever have expansions were WoW, LoTRO, Guild Wars, and possibly EvE? I don't really remember. In any case, expansions only became a thing because WoW did it. That's not exactly grounds for emulation.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
02-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I agree with the nay-sayers. I really doubt an expansion is on it's way, the only MMO's to ever have expansions were WoW, LoTRO, Guild Wars, and possibly EvE? I don't really remember. In any case, expansions only became a thing because WoW did it. That's not exactly grounds for emulation.
Uh....no. Why does everyone have this silly impression that other MMOs do things because WoW did it first? Expansions have been a thing since the very beginning of MMOs. Heck, EQ alone was rolling them out every 6 months at one point. As far as western MMOs go, not selling x-pacs is more the exception than the norm.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Captain
# 18
02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
the only MMO's to ever have expansions were WoW, LoTRO, Guild Wars, and possibly EvE? I don't really remember.
The Ruins of Kunark?

Brad McQuaid would like a word with you.
Captain
# 19
02-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Specifically, I'm thinking of the DCUO model.
I'm not. How does PWE do this stuff with its other games, like the chinese ones? That's the model I'd look to.
Captain
# 20
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
If the May patch is considered an expansion, then it is only due to the size. Dan Stahl has said that it would be too big for a regular season patch so either he is overhyping it or expansion is the appropriate term for it. There is such a thing as a free expansion.