Captain
# 21
02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hravik View Post
Uh....no. Why does everyone have this silly impression that other MMOs do things because WoW did it first? Expansions have been a thing since the very beginning of MMOs. Heck, EQ alone was rolling them out every 6 months at one point. As far as western MMOs go, not selling x-pacs is more the exception than the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The Ruins of Kunark?

Brad McQuaid would like a word with you.
Meh, shows how much I care about them.

Regardless, they certainly are getting less frequent, along with many other MMO traditions. STO seems to be doing very well with it's true F2P model and I think that it will continue to do so.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Career Officer
# 22
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
If the May patch is considered an expansion, then it is only due to the size. Dan Stahl has said that it would be too big for a regular season patch so either he is overhyping it or expansion is the appropriate term for it. There is such a thing as a free expansion.
Where does he even mention the word "expansion" ?? ... May UPDATE seems to be the term now, which is kind of funny because imho Season sounds bigger ... considering he is already back to "Update" my guess is Overhyping
Captain
# 23
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Whether or not you believe Stahl's word, I think that it is also worth noting that this would go contrary to PWE's general business model, so far as I understand it.

While I do not believe that Cryptic has PWE breathing down their neck quite so much as many people think - different corporate cultures and structures do work in different ways, after all, and buying a company often means that the company is not micromanaged or eaten, simply owned by another person/organization - I do think that after they have gone to a large amount of effort to swap to a highly F2P model, PWE would look very unkindly at attempting such a move... particularly if it failed.

As I understand it, part of what makes F2P work is that you're giving the paying customers a lot of people to play with. If the new goodies do not have a lot of people to play with, while some aspects may work out well, others would be pretty 'meh' and chances are the end result is that someone would have a lot of explaining to do.
Commander
# 24
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
The way things are now, what would make the costumer's happy is to FIX WHAT IS WRONG FIRST, and give us a good easy way to help get dill and marks then under-hype the crap out of the next large installment of STO...That way we are first happy things are finally smooth, and pleasantly surprised if the next large update is a bit larger then we thought it was.
Captain
# 25
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Regardless, they certainly are getting less frequent, along with many other MMO traditions.
Absolutely. The MMORPG of the very late 90s and early aughts is almost extinct.

Quote:
STO seems to be doing very well with it's true F2P model and I think that it will continue to do so.
In some area. Like lockboxes. And grinds. They're kicking butt with that stuff.

They kind of dropped the ball with the foundry. Which doesn't bode well for their next game. And they've kind of been completely absent from stuff that feels like Trek in this here Trek game.

Chasing bunnies on New Romulus is something I think even Picard and Data would frown upon.

Captain
# 26
02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
If the May patch is considered an expansion, then it is only due to the size. Dan Stahl has said that it would be too big for a regular season patch so either he is overhyping it or expansion is the appropriate term for it. There is such a thing as a free expansion.
Stahl could just be trying to mimic James Ohlen over at Bioware from last year.

We can start calling Season 8 "STO-Makeb"

Or Rise of the Stahl Cartel?
Captain
# 27
02-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Quote:
In some area. Like lockboxes. And grinds. They're kicking butt with that stuff.
Absolutely. Certainly is helping funding a game we all love. I honestly don't hate those things all that much. This is an MMO, there has to be some of that stuff. I just want more of other stuff.

Quote:
They kind of dropped the ball with the foundry. Which doesn't bode well for their next game. And they've kind of been completely absent from stuff that feels like Trek in this here Trek game.
I will concede on this one though. The foundry was amazing! And now it's not.

Quote:
Chasing bunnies on New Romulus is something I think even Picard and Data would frown upon.
Archer on the other hand....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Commander
# 28
02-17-2013, 11:31 PM
I only paid for good games. If May comes with a good game, that's it, with entirely renovated ground mechanics, animations, gameplay, good graphics! Then maybe I could pay something. But for another bunch of awful missions that makes my Spectrum laugh? I don't think they would go so far...
[That's it, Spanish and/or Hispanic Fleet]
L'Ter@lotherus - Alien Sci Officer - Wells/Destroyer
(No quiero mas reputaciones - No more rep!)
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Stahl could just be trying to mimic James Ohlen over at Bioware from last year.

We can start calling Season 8 "STO-Makeb"

Or Rise of the Stahl Cartel?
Remember this gem?

"One of the problems of other MMO combats is that you often have scenarios where you have multiple heroes beating on a single enemy, and that just isn't very heroic."

James Ohlen managed to out Molyneux Peter Molyneux. Methinks I catch a whiff of that going on here at Cryptic.

Last edited by purplegamer; 02-18-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Lieutenant
# 30
02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Ya, I see these kind of rumors pop up on the forum from time to time and they are baseless. Even if the Cryptic of the past were to do this, the parent company that owns them PWE, would never allow it.

In fact, in Champions online's first f2p incarnation, they used to charge for "adventure packs" which were basically playable content expansions, something that PWE did once taking the reins was to make all of the games playable content free. This is PWE's most core business psychology:

"Make all of the playable content free, put extras and shinies in the store to play that content with"

The only way we would see a paid expansion in a Cryptic game again is if somehow Cryptic changed hands to another company that would do paid expansions