Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 602
# 31
02-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Honestly, the impression I got with that Lifetimer comment with "Season 8" is that Lifetimers would likely get somekind of unique item or Perk that other players would not.



Is it a Liberated Borg with a Romulan skin?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 737
# 32
02-18-2013, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
I think, if they make a for-pay expansion, it'll be an expensive Z-Store release. 5000+ Zen, easy.
Might be the main reason, why this is never going to happen ... they already charge 40 bucks for some ships ... so the price tag on an expansion would have to be ridiculous like 100-200 bucks ... and thats probably the time when people are going to realize they pay less on other AA Games ... you just don't pay 50+$ for an Expansion Pack, this is not how this works (yet) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslyn View Post
Is it a Liberated Borg with a Romulan skin?
Nope that's what the whole Raptor Wing Teaser is about

Last edited by thutmosis85; 02-18-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
# 33
02-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Where does he even mention the word "expansion" ?? ... May UPDATE seems to be the term now, which is kind of funny because imho Season sounds bigger ... considering he is already back to "Update" my guess is Overhyping
I disagree. The reason Cryptic wanted 'Season' to enter the vocabulary of users is to emphasize just how regularly additions would be made across actual seasons. It failed. People don't care. People want to be able to see everything on release day, or at least be able to quantify it. I think we'll see more use of 'Update' and generalized gaming terms going forward.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 602
# 34
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
The reason Cryptic wanted 'Season' to enter the vocabulary of users is to emphasize just how regularly additions would be made across actual seasons.



Nah. It means they will give you Seven Seasons and then maybe a couple of Films




Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post

Nope that's what the whole Raptor Wing Teaser is about


Woo-hoo! It can fly an assimilated Scimitar!

Hm. I wonder if the Scimitar will be the 1000 Day Ship for the Romulans. It ~does~ have a transformation.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 35
02-18-2013, 02:37 AM
No. This would be stupid on their part.

If they put a faction behind a paywall, they won't sell as many c-store stuff, fleet ships, costumes, inventory slots, and so on. The current model is working well for them and a paid expansion would be quite... Adventurous.

If a Romulan faction is released (and it won't happen in may) we might see a Romulan pack with a character slot, 2-3 costumes, 4 fleet ships modules, some skill points boosts, but a paid faction? It's very unlikely to happen.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,387
# 36
02-18-2013, 02:40 AM
I dunno, they have put ships and races behind a paywall.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,689
# 37
02-18-2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Might be the main reason, why this is never going to happen ... they already charge 40 bucks for some ships ... so the price tag on an expansion would have to be ridiculous like 100-200 bucks ... and thats probably the time when people are going to realize they pay less on other AA Games ... you just don't pay 50+$ for an Expansion Pack, this is not how this works (yet) ...
Not necessarily have to, but I know what you mean. When I was originally typing up that post I nearly put 7500 zen, but I stopped, looked and that, and I thought... "Well that's stupid."

But a C-Store option is the only way they could offer an expansion for Silvers where they don't have to pay for it, if they do a pay option. Outside of a convoluted piecemeal setup, there's really no other way to put it up for money. And I really can't see them totally locking an expansion off from Silvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
I dunno, they have put ships and races behind a paywall.
Ahh, but the trick is, everything behind a paywall in STO is also not behind a paywall. It's easy to write that fact off because of how godawful the grind can be to get past the paywall, but the fact that alternative even exists, and it renders everything in STO acquirable without dropping a dime, is still significant.

Last edited by jexsamx; 02-18-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,657
# 38
02-18-2013, 02:56 AM
I really dont think so. PW have their content free across all games and charge for extras. the only reason we have gold and silver is because it started out a pay to play game and we have lifers here. in an ideal world for them STO would not have a sub at all.

they have little interest in making gold that attractive. they will give us advantages when its no skin off their nose to them (the neverwinter beta invites for lifetimers etc) but i would be shocked if they started putting anything new that is related to content behind subs.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 737
# 39
02-18-2013, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Not necessarily have to, but I know what you mean. When I was originally typing up that post I nearly put 7500 zen, but I stopped, looked and that, and I thought... "Well that's stupid."
Sure they don't "have to", but it would be hard to justify selling single Ships for 20$, Costumes for 8$ while selling an entire faction with at least 2-3 Ships, Costumes etc ... for less than 50$

If they really do this, KDF and FED players might be pretty pissed for spending 20$ on a ship etc ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 02-18-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 602
# 40
02-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Ahh, but the trick is, everything behind a paywall in STO is also not behind a paywall. It's easy to write that fact off because of how godawful the grind can be to get past the paywall, but the fact that alternative even exists, and it renders everything in STO acquirable without dropping a dime, is still significant.



*Quietly points to the Chimera*

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.