Ensign
# 1 Evaluate my Future Build
02-17-2013, 01:58 PM
I am doing a complete overhaul on my Klingon Tac.
Is my new skills layout as good as it can be?
Not being a lifetime/gold it's important I get it right first time.
Any and all suggestions welcome.
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...PvEKrenn3_2825
Republic Veteran
# 2
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
My thoughts:
- More Attack Patterns (buffs Attack Pattern: Alpha)
- Less Driver Coil (the combat purists will tell you to go 0, but I do 6 because travel time matters to me)
- Less Inertial Dampeners (break tractor beams with Attack Pattern: Omega and/or Polarize Hull)
- Less Starship Maneuvers (the increased dodge chance from those last 3 points is very pricy)
- Are you planning on getting a Plasmonic Leech console? You'll need Flow Capacitors for that.
- Are you really in a Temporal Destroyer? Are you considering getting Gravity Well? That's probably the best reason to pick it over a Fleet Somrow. If so, you'll want some Particle and Graviton Generators.
- For ground, I hear Willpower is pretty good. You might want to stick some points in that.

Last edited by corgatag; 02-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Are you aware how skills work in the new system? Each time you go up a color, the return diminishes by about half. Which means that a point spent in the red only yields a little more than a quarter of the skill that a point spent in the green yields, yet it costs the same.

The bottom line is that you should at least try to fill up the green in every single catagory that might be useful in any way to you. You should only spend points in the yellow to get a BOFF ability or for those skills which are most useful to you.

You should try to limit skills yo max (spend into the red) to few or none. Only spend these if it is absolutely vital that you maximize that skill. For instance, you are maxing out driver coil even though it affects virtually no combat ability yet you are leaving out attack patterns (which affect your native tactical abilities as well as any you might assign to your bridge officers) and you are spending no points in flow capacitors even though it would buff your BOFFs tractor beams.

The new skill system does not reward min/maxing like the old one does. It rewards "jack of all trades" skill points with very few or no skills maxed.
Ensign
# 4
02-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgatag View Post
My thoughts:
- More Attack Patterns (buffs Attack Pattern: Alpha)
- Less Driver Coil (the combat purists will tell you to go 0, but I do 6 because travel time matters to me)
- Less Inertial Dampeners (break tractor beams with Attack Pattern: Omega and/or Polarize Hull)
- Less Starship Maneuvers (the increased dodge chance from those last 3 points is very pricy)
- Are you planning on getting a Plasmonic Leech console? You'll need Flow Capacitors for that.
- Are you really in a Temporal Destroyer? Are you considering getting Gravity Well? That's probably the best reason to pick it over a Fleet Somrow. If so, you'll want some Particle and Graviton Generators.
- For ground, I hear Willpower is pretty good. You might want to stick some points in that.
I could switch in Attack Pattern Omega at the cost of my mines, which I would rather not do given that they prove very useful in my trap techniques.
The high Driver Coil was for the tour but I suppose the last 3 don't make much difference: gone!
I already have the Plasmonic Leech and use it constantly so I shall add more to the Capacitors.
Yes I am in the temporal destroyer and in regards to the Gravity Well, I would need to sacrifice reverse shield polarity, would that be worth it? In addition the Gravity well would be good in conjunction with the mines, giving me another reason to keep them.
Some points have been shifted to Willpower given that those darned Tholians enjoy trapping me so much.