Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
02-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
I say this with complete love and respect: Gene Roddenberry was an immense carny.

There's pretty much no doubt in my mind he'd be thrilled by it.
No wait this can't be true I read that Gene was a "Humanist" isn't that some sort of thing with moral superiority or something?
Starfleet Veteran
# 42
02-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
The first movie is horribly boring, and the first two seasons are largely the worst parts of TNG. Once Gene let go of Star Trek, it started becoming something really good again, and something more relate-able to the audiences.
Gene didn't really "let go" of Star Trek, he died... which means I suppose you could argue he let go of everything
Career Officer
# 43
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Hmm... How would Gene feel...

"Why are they all fighting? They shouldn't be fighting, this is a ******n utopia. And the women need shorter skir-hey, that's a lot of cleavage you got there! Can you get more of that? Maybe something with a cross strap in front that barely hides her funbags. Yeah, like that.

"Anyway, when am I getting my royalties check?"
Empire Veteran
# 44
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardtheiii View Post
Hello fellow Captains!!!

I'm curious how everyone thinks Gene Roddenberry would feel about everyone capitalizing on the success of Star Trek for monetary gain.

I remember quite a few references in his shows where the desire for monetary game had been "forgotten" or otherwise "surpassed".

Yet everything about STO is created for the sole purpose of putting wealth in the pockets of the makers.

Comments? Thank you.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
Sorry but my feeling is that if Mr. Roddenberry was still alive he would want his cut.

Visions can blur when the almighty dollar comes into play.

Last edited by syberghost; 02-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Captain
# 45
02-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
No wait this can't be true I read that Gene was a "Humanist" isn't that some sort of thing with moral superiority or something?
No. A humanist simply is someone who believe morals and ethics can exist without the need of religion or a supernatural being. It has nothing to do with being morally superior, but everything to do with where that moral code comes from.

As others said, this doesn't mean that Gene didn't want to make a profit off ST and wouldn't want a cut in the money that STO generates.

Even though he believed that one day technology could create utopia, doesn't mean he lived in that world.
Career Officer
# 46
02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Hello fellow Captains!!!

I'm curious how everyone thinks Gene Roddenberry would feel about everyone capitalizing on the success of Star Trek for monetary gain.

I remember quite a few references in his shows where the desire for monetary game had been "forgotten" or otherwise "surpassed".

Yet everything about STO is created for the sole purpose of putting wealth in the pockets of the makers.

Comments? Thank you.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
How would he feel? I refer you to this blog entry from a director who worked with him and had an issue during the filming of an episode because the ACTORS thought GR was over-commercializing a scene:

http://ralph-senensky.blogspot.com/2...july-1968.html

So, how would GR feel about the commercialization of Star Trek?

Were he still alive, I believe his most pressing concern would be:

"What, and where is my cut?"
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Last edited by syberghost; 02-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Captain
# 47
02-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I remember when Paramount was selling full seasons of "Star Trek: TNG" for $200. rofl... If you go back to the 1990s, "Star Trek" merchandise was selling at extremely high prices. Once Paramount/CBS got a hold of the franchise, the prices on dvds and other merchandise started to fall.

Approximately six to seven years ago, I went to Best Buy to purchase "Star Trek: TNG" season one. Once I got up to the sci-fi section, I saw season one of "Stargate: SG-1" and "Star Trek: TNG" sitting together. Full season of "Stargate: SG-1" sold for $30. "Star Trek: TNG" sold for $150. I bought "Stargate: SG-1".

We use to call "Star Trek" the tv-series for super rich people. rofl...

"Star Trek" Store Link: Full Season of DS9 for $520.98

You can buy the whole "Stargate: SG-1" series for $200.

I guess somethings do not change.

Last edited by linyive; 02-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Community Moderator
# 48
02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
But is Star Trek all about committing herbicide and looting there freshly fried body?
This isn't Star Trek in the form of an MMO; such a thing isn't possible without advances in Artificial Intelligence that are many decades away. This is an MMORPG based on Star Trek. It must have the play elements of the genre to be successful as an MMORPG.

You can argue all day and night about whether it *IS* successful as an MMORPG, but the fact remains; to be successful as an MMORPG, it must BE an MMORPG.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 49
02-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skonn View Post
Believe it. Gene was a shill, selling overpriced trek merch through Lincoln enterprises as far back as the original run of TOS.

He'd LOVE how STO's money grabbing, provided, of course, he was getting a cut of it. If he was still alive, he would've talked CBS into letting us have the ships/things we want (T5 Connie, Android as a playable "race") for a jacked up price so he could get a piece of the action.

Having an idyllic vision of the future and wanting to profit from it greatly are not mutually exclusive. The reason Gene hated the fact that he sold the IP to Paramount wasn't their misuse of it... it's the fact that he didn't make any money off it later on. He never thought the franchise would have a revival in the late 70's.
+1

He wouldn't care at all about the commercialization as long as he was getting his cut... Heck, the IDIC pendant was created solely as a marketing ploy...
Lieutenant
# 50
02-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
I remember when Paramount was selling full seasons of "Star Trek: TNG" for $200. rofl... If you go back to the 1990s, "Star Trek" merchandise was selling at extremely high prices. Once Paramount/CBS got a hold of the franchise, the prices on dvds and other merchandise started to fall.

Approximately six to seven years ago, I went to Best Buy to purchase "Star Trek: TNG" season one. Once I got up to the sci-fi section, I saw season one of "Stargate: SG-1" and "Star Trek: TNG" sitting together. Full season of "Stargate: SG-1" sold for $30. "Star Trek: TNG" sold for $150. I bought "Stargate: SG-1".

We use to call "Star Trek" the tv-series for super rich people. rofl...

"Star Trek" store Link: Full Season of DS9 for $520.98

You can buy the whole "Stargate: SG-1" series for $200.
DS9 series 1-7 is still 500 pounds...thats a lot for a nearly 20yo tv show. thank the prophets for streaming websites..