Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 71
02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
I don't think Gene would what has happened to his creation.I can olny guess he might of fired Bermon and Braga for ever bringing TNG out so soon on the big screen.I know he would not approve of Enterprise and JJs Star Trek.

Bermon and Brag for fired anyway not to long after Enterprise was cancalled.
In reality you don't know what Gene would or would not approve of.

See any posts I've made in the last few days about "Gene can do wrong" stuff.

Its all fine if you may not like the direction TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT took, but the bottom line is they were successful enough to make a profit. I personally think Garfield is a pile of commercialized crap, but I won't deny that Larson is successful doing it.

Trek was a great idea for him and he made a lot of cash with it, and got to do something he enjoyed. Thats great...but a lot of his ideas were pure crap, and TNG improved once he wasn't calling the shots.

Stop making gene out to be some great saint. He was most likely no better or worse than I am as a person and not everything he put his hand to was manna from heaven.
Captain
# 72
02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Something that occurred to me while reading this thread ... Gene Roddenberry has a lot in common with the character of Zefram Cochrane. Both were driven by profit and self-gratification, but over the years they were both elevated to near-sainthood because of what they created.

Could Cochrane has been indirectly inspired by Roddenberry? Food for thought.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Rihannsu
# 73
02-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
I don't think Gene would what has happened to his creation.I can olny guess he might of fired Bermon and Braga for ever bringing TNG out so soon on the big screen.I know he would not approve of Enterprise and JJs Star Trek.

Bermon and Brag for fired anyway not to long after Enterprise was cancalled.
Actually.... Majel Roddenberry did the voice of the computer in JJ-trek. :p

Majel is unique in Star Trek. She did some sort of acting in all six series, and several movies too! She was 'Number One', Nurse Chapel(TOS), 13 TAS characters including Chapel and M'Ress, Lwaxana Troi(TNG and DS9). She regularly did the voice for the ship's computer in TOS, TNG, and VOY, and sometimes in TAS, DS9, and ENT. She did computer voices for some of the movies too, including JJ-Trek.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!