Lt. Commander
# 1 Updater Chinese Text Error
01-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Okay, here's what's happening.

-I pre-ordered STO from Atari.com.
-I downloaded the installer from FilePlanet.
-I installed the game with no problems whatsoever.
-When I try to run the game, I get a small grey box in the upper left hand corner of my screen that says that the updater is attempting to patch itself.
-A program window opens up, with Star Trek Online in the title bar on top, but there's nothing inside except some text that Google Translate tells me is Chinese. Here's the text:

攼㹭潌摡湩⹧倠敬獡⁥慷瑩㰮支㹭

I'm running Windows Vista 64, and have all my latest drivers.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing.

I've tried re-downloading the files from FilePlanet.

I had the exact same problem when I installed and tried to play the Champions Online beta, and I never got it to work. My Champion files were also downloaded through FilePlanet, and installed without a hitch, yet gave me this mysterious error when i tried to play.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Am I the only one with this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 07:12 AM
I haven't had this problem. I used the Steam download. Have you sent FilePlanet a message explaining your problem?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 07:18 AM
This is what FilePlanet has to say:

The file I downloaded won't work on my computer. What now?
Unfortunately FilePlanet does not make the files. We merely facilitate the download. For problems running the file, installing a mod etc… you need to read the readme that came with the file or talk to fellow gamers.

I noticed that the file they have available for download is a different version from the one I originally downloaded 2 days ago. So, I'm downloading again.

But I really don't think it's a problem with the download. After all, the install goes off without a hitch every time.

Frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi,

The program window that opens up is actually just displaying a webpage from what I understand. Perhaps you have Google translate turned on by default for all webpages?

If this is the case you can go and disable this function in the Google bar for your default web browser. Go to Google Toolbar Options -> Tools Tab -> In the Translate section click "edit" -> then uncheck all boxes in that section.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for your responses, guys.

I did have google toolbar installed on my computer, but I hate toolbars, so it was already disabled.

Just to be safe, I un-installed it.

I'm currently re-installing STO to test the results.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Also check that your IE install is up-to-date and isn't set to work offline mode. Also clear your IE file cache.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I use FireFox. I'm updating IE as we speak, and will change it back to being my default browser to test things out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Okay, I did all that, and it changed nothing.

Other ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concoctionist
I use FireFox. I'm updating IE as we speak, and will change it back to being my default browser to test things out.
You don't need to alter your default browser settings. The launcher doesn't use IE itself, just the MSHTML library that happens to be updated alongside it.