Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Although it hasn't received official blessing, there is the Cryptic Studios torrent that you can try. I imagine it's the same torrent that get's used by Cryptic's installer, but it might work better in your own app. There are currently 600 seeders and 6600 peers, so it shouldn't go too slow.

Post install it appears that there's a 172MB patch.


K
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krob
Although it hasn't received official blessing, there is the Cryptic Studios torrent that you can try. I imagine it's the same torrent that get's used by Cryptic's installer, but it might work better in your own app. There are currently 600 seeders and 6600 peers, so it shouldn't go too slow.

Post install it appears that there's a 172MB patch.


K
The torrent is listed on the download page which is why I thought I posted that link here. Doh.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-11-2010, 11:27 PM
I ended up shelling out the seven bucks to get a "premium" one month membership to FilePlanet, and while it's still not ideal, the download is moving a heck of a lot faster than anything else I've tried, including the torrent. I would like to point out, though, that that seven dollars could have been Cryptic's, had they bothered to offer a way to have a CD-ROM sent out. Heck, I'd have paid ten for that.

I remember literally arguing with Blizzard tech support about why they should just send a CD out rather than expecting me to install something on the order of twenty gigs worth of patches when I bought the game (I was a late starter that ended up being a non-starter). They admitted that they do occasionally send out CDs with the patches, but that "it's not something the customer can request- it has to be recommended by tech support." Fabulous customer service there. I ended up canceling my subscription, it was so frustrating. I understand the need for patching, obviously, but there has to be a more effective way of facilitating these huge downloads. Offering a CD for people willling to pay would reduce some of the burden on the various download mirrors, as well, so everybody wins. I really don't understand why more companies don't do this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Ah, well, missed that myself. It now has the blessings of Cryptic. Torrent away....

Too bad utorrent doesn't seem to want to seed more than 250kB/s.


K
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krob
Ah, well, missed that myself. It now has the blessings of Cryptic. Torrent away....

Too bad utorrent doesn't seem to want to seed more than 250kB/s.


K
you get 250 kbps?

*drools*

Im lucky to average 80.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
grr i was hoping to have it done tonight but im to tired to wait so im going to bed night people
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
I ended up shelling out the seven bucks to get a "premium" one month membership to FilePlanet, and while it's still not ideal, the download is moving a heck of a lot faster than anything else I've tried, including the torrent. I would like to point out, though, that that seven dollars could have been Cryptic's, had they bothered to offer a way to have a CD-ROM sent out. Heck, I'd have paid ten for that.

I remember literally arguing with Blizzard tech support about why they should just send a CD out rather than expecting me to install something on the order of twenty gigs worth of patches when I bought the game (I was a late starter that ended up being a non-starter). They admitted that they do occasionally send out CDs with the patches, but that "it's not something the customer can request- it has to be recommended by tech support." Fabulous customer service there. I ended up canceling my subscription, it was so frustrating. I understand the need for patching, obviously, but there has to be a more effective way of facilitating these huge downloads. Offering a CD for people willling to pay would reduce some of the burden on the various download mirrors, as well, so everybody wins. I really don't understand why more companies don't do this.
The biggest problems I see with that are 1) by the time you got the CD from Cryptic you could have already had the client downloaded, and 2) they'd probably charge for it since it isn't free to ship stuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
Try games.on.net

http://games.on.net/file/31515/Star_...ient_v20091228

After you install, 1.3GB patch left.

** there could be issues with patching after this... i'm not certain, however.
Well this is downloading very fast for me...a steady 156KB/Sec with 2 hours to go to download the 8.17G file. It's worth a shot to see if it can be patched....heck of a lot faster than the 2+ day file planet. And no, I'm not paying 7 bucks to download it a bit faster via fileplanet. I'll let you know if it installs and patches just fine...the one from games.on.net as linked above.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
Try games.on.net

http://games.on.net/file/31515/Star_...ient_v20091228

After you install, 1.3GB patch left.

** there could be issues with patching after this... i'm not certain, however.
This is an out-of-date build, so it would be unwise to use it. We are getting them an updated copy tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20 Torrent link not working
01-12-2010, 12:31 AM
I keep trying to use the torrent link on the downloads page and it just goes to a page of symbol text or something. Need to fix the links!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 PM.