Career Officer
# 31
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Considering how long it takes Cryptic to make missions, I'm not sure that their tools aren't actually inferior to the Foundry. They are probably more powerful, but perhaps not as user friendly?

The Foundry does have some issues, but you actually can do a lot with it. In some ways it's very limited, but in other ways you can argue it's quite powerful.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 32
02-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Considering how long it takes Cryptic to make missions, I'm not sure that their tools aren't actually inferior to the Foundry. They are probably more powerful, but perhaps not as user friendly?

The Foundry does have some issues, but you actually can do a lot with it. In some ways it's very limited, but in other ways you can argue it's quite powerful.
I think part of the reason it takes them so long is, when we run up against a wall, we refactor to work within the limitations of the tool. When they run against a wall, they go talk to a programmer and get some code to fix it, or start tweaking assets to create something not in the Foundry at all.

Not to mention they're working on multiple things at once, with their time budgeted; whereas we tend to work on one thing until it's done, with our time budget in our own hands.
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
02-21-2013, 06:16 AM
There is also the fact that, according to Tumerboy, devs deal with a lot of low level tasks that are done automatically for us. For instance, we add an npc group from a list of available templates. A dev has to track down an npc group encounter that's been created before, pull it from the previous map, place it in the new map make sure all the properties and settings are properly linked in the new map, etc. We don't deal with anything like hooking up npc AI behavior scripts. For them it's a necessary step as it gives them the freedom to create custom behavior to fit the encounter, but it also adds work to each and every encounter they make.

That said, it takes me months to put together a good, custom-map foundry mission, so the fact that it takes the devs a while to do the same doesn't surprise me.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 02-21-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Captain
# 34
02-21-2013, 07:15 AM
It may be bit of a nostalgic feeling behind it, but I remember the Tony Hawk skater games having a more robust level designer and all in 3d if I remember correctly. Of course there were no npcs in tony hawk just surfaces to skate on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPNtIYauiE
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 02-21-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I'd think the devs probably have a 3D view to place objects. I would love that mysrlf, like the creator in the Neverwinter Nights game. Even though that was a single player game it was easier to use, IMHO.

Right now I'd like to be able to just have NPCs Beam in/out or ships warp in/out.
Commander
# 36
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
I'd think the devs probably have a 3D view to place objects. I would love that mysrlf, like the creator in the Neverwinter Nights game. Even though that was a single player game it was easier to use, IMHO.

Right now I'd like to be able to just have NPCs Beam in/out or ships warp in/out.
The devs most likely build the maps from the ground up in something like Valve's Hammer Editor rather than work from prebuilt maps.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Devs use a 3d-editor, confirmed by Mapolis on Subspace radio (min 41) http://ssrresources.subspace-radio.n...int_4-2012.mp3

Quote:
Erroch: Alright, speaking of things that authors really want, uh, I?m getting into dangerous territory again, but, uh, there?s been one common request every time I talk foundry, to foundry designers, there are two things that come up constantly, one is, is there a plan to give a better map editor, that has better support of the z access, to actually place things into 3d space instead of 2d space
Mapolis: Uh, yes, actually, we do eventually want some form of a 3d editor and we sort of have to re engineer from the ground up because the 3d editor that we use inhouse is really kinda not suitable for the foundry, it?s sorta really buggy and really hacky, needs a lot of specific hardware and networking infrastructure so, I know it sounds weird for a 3d editor but that?s the way it is. But so, yea, we kinda have to re engineer from the ground up, 3d editor, something , we know a lot of people want, we want it ourselves, um, there?s been talk of things like being able to, uh, start it out by laying out placing down markers while you're previewing your map so you can say oh I want to , save this position, go back to the map editor, I can, you know, place, uh, a building here or console hear something so it?ll probably come in slowly as features that will sort of help to place the more difficult to place props in 3d and then eventually do want to, kind of, full a 3d editor but I think it will probably be post launch for never winter. So I probably won?t see that for another year.
http://subspace-radio.net/radio/ssr-...lis-april-2012