Lieutenant
# 1 Alpha strike macro
02-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Does anyone have set a macro on Logitech G series mouse?
I created a macro for an alpha strike, but when i press the button it doesn't power up all abilities at once. I have to have it pressed the whole time until everything powers up, it goes 2 by 2, and it takes 3-4 seconds.

Be gentle, I'm new with this macro stuff
Is this a regular thing or?

Thnx
Empire Veteran
# 2
02-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Read this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=192243

Using the normal keybind system, you can't have a single key press fire multiple skils - even if you bind every skill to your spacebar, each press will activate only one, and in some unpredictable order. (*)

If you wanted to fire off your alpha strike skills in the right order, you would need to use external software.

(*) There is a claim that the last command in the string will be the first command activated, but I find this to be uncertain.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING

Last edited by naevius; 02-19-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Captain
# 3
02-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Honestly you will do much better in STO if you forget that macros exist at all.
/channel_join Tyler Durden
Lieutenant
# 4
02-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Honestly you will do much better in STO if you forget that macros exist at all.
I play since the start and have never ever used macros, just wanna give it a go now, wanna know how it works, that's all.
Survivor of Remus
# 5
02-19-2013, 07:11 AM
They already said that's how it's meant to work to prevent the 2 sec pop all ablity what happens is if you bind 123456 the order it turns them is 16,25,34 it would take 3 sec to have them all activate. The idolagy behind this is to make you not be able to insta pop everyone in the world before they have a chance to defend themselves.
-"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
Captain
# 6
02-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctos1717 View Post
I play since the start and have never ever used macros, just wanna give it a go now, wanna know how it works, that's all.
http://www.stowiki.org/Key_binds

Should cover the basics.... throw any specific questions you have after that up here and I'm sure someone will help you out.

As others have said though the system in STO is great... but it isn't what people think of when they think macro most of the time. You won't be able to program one button that activates more then 2 skills properly every time.

Some skills you can key bind together... like fire and distribute shields. In general ship stuff like shield facings and power settings play well with other skills... but as soon as you start binding more then one Captain/boff skill together they will be pretty much completely unreliable.

What I meant was simply this... no high level pvp players that I know keybind any of there major skills. You want to use time those and use them at the right time everytime... as far as alpha strike goes... the way the game is setup now you pretty much don't want to be alpha striking with ANYTHING more then Alpha and Rapid fire..... overloads and HYs you would be preloading so you wouldn't want them on a bind... all the other buffs you should be timing... Go down will in fact do something when you are dmged... Fire on my mark as part of an alpha is pretty much pointless as 99% of people will tac team as there first reaction.

Basicly what I would suggest you work on is setting up your key setup to ensure you have easy access to EVERY skill you have. They will become second nature.

I use a Razor Naga mouse... I have a second one on the shelf in case this one dies and if they ever stop making it I will retire from MMOs.

Seriously the 12 keys on the side are the best setup I can imagine... with the 1-12 keys + Shift-1-12.. and Ctrl-1-12 I can insta activate 36 skill.

What I did before the naga was very painstakingly setup my keyboard so I had everything easy access. keys like Q and E R F are great keys to keybind specific skills to... before the naga (which is like 2 years ago no) ... I would have my stuff ready to go on q and e.... and honestly I think I was faster and had more options then the keybinders I knew at that time anyway.
Lieutenant
# 7
02-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack12c View Post
They already said that's how it's meant to work to prevent the 2 sec pop all ablity what happens is if you bind 123456 the order it turns them is 16,25,34 it would take 3 sec to have them all activate. The idolagy behind this is to make you not be able to insta pop everyone in the world before they have a chance to defend themselves.
That makes sense
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2013, 08:05 AM
I find that the old "action bar #7" is great to put your attack patterns and epts's ur attack abilities though are best suited to being manually clicked, cause of the nature of timing.
Captain
# 9
02-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Hmmm I said I don't keybind and then I thought about it .... I do use one key bind setup on every ship that does help me a ton....

I key bind LIKE skills to the same key. (in my case a naga button)

Meaning if I have 2 copies of say tac team I bind them BOTH to trigger on the same key.

On my setup if say slot 9 was my tac team... I would put my second tac team on the next bar right above it... so tray 1 slot 9 and tray 2 slot9... this way I can see my cool downs at a glance but when I hit 9... it just activates either.

A bind for that would look like this

/bind 9 "+trayexec 0 8 $$ +trayexec 1 8"

So if I hit 9 it activates tray 1 Slot 9 (everything is one number behind)... if that skill doesn't activate it then goes to tray 2 Slot 9

Depending on the build I may do that on multiple copies of a few different skills.

In my case I will keybind different versions.... say HY 2 and HY 1... and I will put HY 2 on the top tray... so that with my mouse I can hit say the number 3 and load either... or I can go Shift-3 and now I'm loading HY 2
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack12c View Post
ahhh but u see you can. load up all offensive tac buffs than hit ur attacks one after the other, u dont need a macro to instapop, especially if you have good timing....IE BO3 sheild **** and immediatly torp HY3 killshot