Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-19-2013, 12:29 AM
At this point I don't care what it would be about as long as is based on the prime universe. I'm affraid, however, that we will be getting something from Mr J.J. Star Wars Flares.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 22
02-19-2013, 12:35 AM
This is my own personal opinion, but considering that Paramount owns the movie "trilogy" (as JJ has referred to it), and CBS owns the TV series, then I wouldn't say that it is a foregone conclusion that any new TV series would have to be in the "new" timeline.

The vast majority of the fiction being written both in novels and in STO are in the prime timeline. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bad Robot do something as a series, but it wouldn't surprise me to see CBS do something either.

We've already told CBS that if they were to ever consider a new TV series, we would be thrilled to work with them on crossovers with STO. But that is a big pie in the sky right now.
Career Officer
# 23
02-19-2013, 01:20 AM
You guys should watch Geek Magazine's very recent Trek Summit videos with:
  • Gene Roddenberry's son, Rod Roddenberry
  • Executive Producer for TNG, Voyager and Enterprise, Brannon Braga
  • TV Producer/Author of Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years, David Goodman
  • Film Critic and avid trekker, Scott Mantz

It comes in 4 parts and all 4 parts are worth watching if you're a trek fan. However I mention this summit because they talked a little about their ideas for a new Trek series in part 4, at around the 6 minute mark. Here are the youtube links:
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-19-2013, 01:21 AM
It would be fun to see two new Trek shows on at the same time - one Prime, one J.J. - just to see how quickly the fan communities devolve into the same DS9 vs. Voyager bickering from the late 90s.

Hey, let Manny Coto run one of them. Doesn't matter which. I'd just like to see how he'd build a new Trek show of his own, as opposed to being brought in to take over another one already in progress.
---
Relax.
Lieutenant
# 25
02-19-2013, 02:54 AM
if u really want a good new Star Trek series, they should do one that has, say 8 seasons, and each few seasons has a new story arc.

season 1-2-3

story arc about klingons and they do it from THEIR perspective. can add loads of canon and flavor, and new ship designs. do battles that were talked about but never shown on tv....

season 4-5-6

romulan arc. again from their side, so the main characters are all rommies.
dont really have good suggestions what you could do here, but ive never been a rommie fan.

season 7-8-9

cardassian story arc. shown from the cardassian arc. could all be about the invasion of bajor (set pre-DS9) or the whole rebuilding effort after DS9.

at least, this seems like a great new way to do a new TV show while not having to go further ahead in time or invent a bunch of new stuff for the feds
Commander
# 26
02-19-2013, 03:09 AM
The only thing I think a new series would need to be successful is Jonathan Frakes cast as the captain.

The biggest mistake with Enterprise is that they missed out on all the cameos TNG, DS9 and Voyager offer. Setting it sometime in the early 25th century, or even in the late 24th century (I'm not sure exactly when Nemesis was supposed to take place, but basically any point after that is fair game).

The other option that I think might work, but one which can always be saved for the future (unlike Frakes as captain), would be some sort of Section 31 time travel oriented series which has the freedom to set something like 1/3rd to 1/2 of all episodes in any timeline. The other advantage to waiting on this series would be that as CGI improves, they'll be able to better incorporate material from the older series, allowing them to convey how Section 31 works behind the scenes to ensure the stability of the timeline.

The other other option would be to ditch the dreams of a full seven season series, and aim for something short but sweet. Options include series intended for 1-3 years length, or even some sort of mini-series (or even just very short, focused seasons).

Last edited by millimidget; 02-19-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
02-19-2013, 05:01 AM
Have been waiting and hoping for a new Star Trek series for years now since they canned Enterprise. Unsure what they'd focus a new show around, but it would have to be in the Prime timeline. The Typhon Pact would make things interesting, some of DS9's best episodes were centred around the politics and backroom deals. Star Trek: Aventine anyone?
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Captain
# 28
02-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
The only thing I think a new series would need to be successful is Jonathan Frakes cast as the captain.
I'd watch a Titan series. But mainly because those books get the starship back to what it is I want out of a Trek series: To Boldly Go ...

Riker's crew on the Titan would be hard to put on screen though. Still, all I want out of a new Trek series is a ship out there exploring the Galaxy, seeking out new life and new civilizations.

It could be the Enterprise. The Titan. The Odyssey. I'm cool with whatever.
Community Moderator
# 29
02-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Some interesting data points:

The series that very nearly was: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star...Final_Frontier

The series we probably don't want, that may still happen: http://io9.com/5927598/new-star-trek...nimated-series

Personally I think an STO-timeline series is the perfect opportunity for STO to get a coherent plot bible, an impetus to follow it, and the funding to keep it moving.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 30
02-19-2013, 06:50 AM
I would love to see a show that focuses on Shon and the Enterprise-F. Start it just after the 2800 and segue it into the New Romulus storyline and you've got quite a bit of fodder for stories that run the gamut from DS9's awe inspiring space battles to the best of TNG's exploration and human drama. Plus you've finally got an Enterprise that's commanded by a non-human and plenty of opporotunities to showcase the new ships that STO has created.

You don't even have to limit it to the Enterprise-F either, it could be a show with a dual-focus one half on the Fed and the Ent-F, the other on the Klingon Empire and the captain and crew of the Bortasqu' as they navigate the murky and blood filled waters of Klingon politics while fighting a war the Federation that is as hot as it is cold.

Ah, but it's nice to dream sometimes