Lt. Commander
# 1 Can it run on Mac?
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I am sure this has been answered but I have been looking through the forums and stuff but i can't find if you can play the open Beta or at launch on a Mac. Please if someone can give me the quick yes or no or tell me where to look that would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
No plans for a Mac version so far, as far as we have heard. However, if you have an Intel mac with Windows installed, you can use that to play STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinerath View Post
I am sure this has been answered but I have been looking through the forums and stuff but i can't find if you can play the open Beta or at launch on a Mac. Please if someone can give me the quick yes or no or tell me where to look that would be great.
No, it is not playable on the mac itself. However you can try using the game with Boot Camp or VMFusionware and then run it that way. I am going to try VMFusion as soon as it EVER gets done DL'ing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Under bootcamp it is fine, however we do not support running emulation (VMWare, Parallels, Wine, etc).
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
It works perfectly under Boot Camp, I've been doing it since closed beta and all is well. Just make sure to update the ATI/NVIDIA drivers to the newest ones available online instead of those provided with the Leopard/Snow Leopard install DVD. I've been playing on the system in my signature.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Under bootcamp it is fine, however we do not support running emulation (VMWare, Parallels, Wine, etc).
You guys should look at porting the game using Cider. From my understanding it is much easier than native client/app. But I don't know programming, so what do I know? :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I plan on running it on my MacBook; 2.2 Ghz processor, 2 GB RAM, which I'm sure will all be fine. My question is in regards to the GMA X3100 video card in it. Ran WoW fine, but figured I'd ask before getting the game; will it run STO well?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Quote:
I plan on running it on my MacBook; 2.2 Ghz processor, 2 GB RAM, which I'm sure will all be fine. My question is in regards to the GMA X3100 video card in it. Ran WoW fine, but figured I'd ask before getting the game; will it run STO well?
Well, no. At all, probably. Intel GPUs are not terribly useful, but you should probably be able to run the game at least.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Was afraid of that. Well, if it can run it at all I'll give it a shot. Suppose I can keep the video settings to a minimum. I don't need it to look spectacular, I just need it to work. Reckon I'll give the beta a try before I get the game, assuming of course I can get Windows boot camped before launch. Would I be correct in assuming beta keys become useless after the game launches?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Intel GPUs are not terribly useful...
Quoted for truth. Intel should be banned from even calling those things GPUs. All they really are is a DVI plug into the back of the machine.