Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawron
I'm sorry I find this super funny. Like very very funny....

There is more than one place to DL it. Dont like the Downloader? Use Torrent. Dont like Torrent? Use Filefront. I was dl at 700kb/s from Filefront when I broke down and paid 5bucks for the membership. I was DL at over 100kb/s with the torrent.
Apparently we have a late-comer to the massive threads being generated about this. We have several different threads about different ways to d/l the client. The point, once again, is that Crypic didn't anticipate this WHILE promoting the preorder. Perhaps you should read the threads before posting?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, as has been discussed in other threads, I get that it's a beta. But you know what? When your company makes the decision to advertise the hell out of a beta as if it were actually a demo or early-access pass to the full release, you're going to get a bunch of neophytes who don't have appropriate expectetions or an understanding of what an open beta is about. So don't act like an ass when one of them asks a reasonable question, just say, "No, there's no CD/DVD available for the beta stuff because XYZ" and move on. I think most people can figure out that being obnoxious to your company's customers is usually a bad PR move.

Cryptic's major misstep here was to tie the open beta to the preorder advertising at all. They should've posted ads on Kotaku and other gaming sites advertising free keys for anyone who wanted one- then they would have gotten people who had a better understanding of what an open beta test is about and saved themselves a lot of annoyance. Instead, they've probably ended up losing people who don't get the beta concept, tried to download the client or tried to play after downloading the client, had a horrible experience and cancelled their preorder. It really wasn't a great move.

And as Captain Vox says, this isn't even about playing the beta. This is about all the issues people are having just with downloading the damn client- and it's not just people with slow internet connections that are experiencing these problems. That's my issue- I have no issues with the beta itself because I can't even play the thing yet.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, this is what happens with the release of a new MMO. Look at WoW or most any of the others. The problem is that most people wouldn't know how to operate a torrent client if it landed on their face and started to wiggle. The truth is, you would be just as angry even if you had the client right now, there are server overloads and bugs galore (to be expected).

Just chill out a bit, go do something NOT on the computer (like read a book, hang out with other humans or *gasp* go outside and get some sun/snow and see what life is like outside of your parents basement).

Finally, for those on satellite, I REALLY hope that you are using that because you HAVE to and not by choice. Do you maybe have a friend that can burn it to DVD and send it to you?

Again, just relax, this thing is in it's infancy, there are bound to be growing pains, they will be worked out. (No, I am not paid by cryptic, I've just been here before with other MMO's, it happens.)
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
This isn't even about playing the beta. This is about all the issues people are having just with downloading the damn client- and it's not just people with slow internet connections that are experiencing these problems. That's my issue- I have no issues with the beta itself because I can't even play the thing yet.
And that's the bottom line - not that the beta experience itself will be bad/disappointing/frustrating, but that we can't even download it. People are mad at Cryptic because they basically dropped the ball on downloadability.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVox View Post
Apparently we have a late-comer to the massive threads being generated about this. We have several different threads about different ways to d/l the client. The point, once again, is that Crypic didn't anticipate this WHILE promoting the preorder. Perhaps you should read the threads before posting?
If there are several threads about this issue-why post at all? Just to complain? Hypocrite much?

Again as I said before-if people would be willing to pay for shipping and the dvd, I'm sure we can have some people willing to do it. I would be one of them-I have no issue with people who see an issue and work towards a solution, I just think its funny that we have so much nerd rage about something that Cryptic has nothing to do with. I'm just guessing you guys have never played an MMO before, try raiding 40 man Naxx when severs would just lock up for 10mins then come back with you all dead. Try falling through Molton Core and see every other raid falling around you. Try Downloading a 1gb content patch only to have it patched the next day because people can't use it. Not being able to DL a file from ONE (when there are many) sorces isn't the end of the world-if you are upset over the principle cancel your pre-order and teach Cryptic a lesson! LOL