Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Empire Veteran
Should be based on events and occurences within the game, incorporating all the ship designs already available.. but minus all the lockbox ship in the hands of the FED/KDF factions. Iconians is an interesting story.

I really like to see Oddy as the Enterprise and/or maybe this new series could be based on a few ships rather than one single ship/station. (Armitage, Regent, Vesta, Oddy - the four musketeers).

CGI part should all be ready already since the game has pretty good (although there could be improvements e.g. aft beam weapon positioning on the oddy!!!)

We dont need big cast.. newer actors could be brought in to keep budget low, as long as their acting is good!

All in all, CBS i hope you're reading this thread.. go make us another Trek series. Half of the work is already done. Get STO team on board

**should this belong in ten forward?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2013, 09:27 PM
We can only dream about it.
Career Officer
# 3
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
I applaud your enthusiasm, but if there happens to be a new Star Trek series (Live or Animated) based on the Prime timeline and ocurring during or after 2409, at best it would reference the events in STO. Because when they are making a new series, they are going to tell something new with a new crew, a new ship, and a new plot. And repeating what was in STO just isn't going to do that since they surmise the audience already knows what's going to happen.

As for CGI Ships, they definitely would not use the STO ship models since they are low quality. And even though they use 3D Max (last I heard this is the program Cryptic uses), they have to redo the model to for high quality (making it realisitc). That's going to take time and money, which they want to save and likely reuse existing CGI models such as the Defiant, Promtheus, and Intrepid.

All in all, if you want this to happen then by all means contact CBS and pitch your idea. In the mean time, why not get some people to make a Fan Series like those of New Voyages or Renegades, and bring STO to life.
Career Officer
# 4
02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Here is my pitch for a new trek series. New Enterprise, new crew, obviously the show revolves around that right... wrong. The new enterprise and her entire crew is lost or destroyed. In comes the next ship to headline the Star Trek weeknights. They are ordered to investigate the destruction of the Enterprise and her crew. Also, don't let the show revolve around just this idea and this ship. introduce another starbase, another ship and those connected in some way liek seperated families, or the main conflict or both.
Career Officer
# 5
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I realize that the depth of STO is much greater than any other Star Trek game but when, in the history of Trekdom, have they ever referenced anything that happened in a Trek game on a show?

The show would have its own creative people to come up with things such as ship design. If they ever show the Enterprise F on screen, it will probably be something you have never seen before and STO might have to go back and change the ship model in places where the Odyssey is used.

There have been a lot of serious ideas for a new series pitched since Enterprise was canceled so I am not getting my hopes up until it is confirmed that a pilot will be produced.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
02-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
The show would have its own creative people to come up with things such as ship design. If they ever show the Enterprise F on screen, it will probably be something you have never seen before and STO might have to go back and change the ship model in places where the Odyssey is used.

There have been a lot of serious ideas for a new series pitched since Enterprise was canceled so I am not getting my hopes up until it is confirmed that a pilot will be produced.
actually. CBS approved of the odyssey becoming enterprise F so pretty much if CB S uses enterprise F in a show they will likely use the odyssey. why hold a contest approved by CBS and cannonizing the Ent-F's ship if they dont actually use it?
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 7
02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
I have always believed that if there is a new Star Trek series not based on the new movies, then it would not use the novels or STO. The writers might use a few missions as inspiration, but not likely.
Captain
# 8
02-18-2013, 11:52 PM
The Odyssey is unique to STO and anything being introduced in this game is not considered Star Trek Canon.
If there is a new series it will probably be based on New Trek, the die is cast and since the movie, Abrams Trek is now going to be the prime universe where new stories will be told, the Trek we know is now history. Our Trek doesn't cease to exist, but it does cease to move forward. Unless there is a movie that resets Abrams reset, this is how things are going to be.

Last edited by maxvitor; 02-18-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
02-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
The Odyssey is unique to STO and anything being introduced in this game is not considered Star Trek Canon.
If there is a new series it will probably be based on New Trek, the die is cast and since the movie, Abrams Trek is now going to be the prime universe where new stories will be told, the Trek we know is now history. Our Trek doesn't cease to exist, but it does cease to move forward. Unless there is a movie that resets Abrams reset, this is how things are going to be.
the odyssey might have been created for STO, but CBS Owns the rights to it, unlike other Game based ships, meaning CBS can do whatever they want with it, include putting it onscreen.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 10
02-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
actually. CBS approved of the odyssey becoming enterprise F so pretty much if CB S uses enterprise F in a show they will likely use the odyssey. why hold a contest approved by CBS and cannonizing the Ent-F's ship if they dont actually use it?
CBS may have had some level of sponsorship in Cryptic's design the next Enterprise contest, but I do not believe anywhere it was explicitly stated or promised that if the Enterprise F were ever shown on-screen, it would be the Odyssey. Also, royalties and ownership rights for intellectual property is a very complicated and confusing subject even if you know the full terms of all agreements and are an expert in the subject, so I am not sure that the question of whether CBS even has the legal right to use the design without PWE's permission is that cut and dry. If I am in error, please point out where this was overtly stated.

If the Enterprise F is ever shown on screen, I suspect that it will be up to the production staff and art department to design it, and I suspect that even if CBS owns right to the Odyssey design without paying royalties, they would prefer to make their own design, especially if the show is based around the ship instead of a one-off appearance.

Last edited by logicalspock; 02-19-2013 at 12:07 AM.