Lt. Commander
# 1 20 hour cooldown.
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I've got 17 hours left on cooldown on my rep system contributions.

I've got anywhere between 10 and 59 minutes on cooldowns on my STFs.

As I look at these cooldowns, I find myself wondering something.

Does Cryptic actually want me to log off and play another game? Cooldown timers that take nearly a day? Isn't that counter to the concept of MMO's?

I thought the idea was to have people in and playing as much as possible, not logging off for a day while they wait on timers...

Am I missing something?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post

I thought the idea was to have people in and playing as much as possible, not logging off for a day while they wait on timers...

Am I missing something?
Yep. They don't want you to race through the reputation system in a day, get all your new shineys, get bored and go away again - so they've made it take you a month to complete to ensure you come back every day.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Yep. They don't want you to race through the reputation system in a day, get all your new shineys, get bored and go away again - so they've made it take you a month to complete to ensure you come back every day.
That doesn't explain the STFs/group content timers, though. The combination makes me want to log out and play something else. Or post on the forums. When I could be playing and buying zen.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes. Welcome to Farmville, Cafeworld, "Insert here the name of any other Facebook game".
Career Officer
# 5
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
hmm now that you say it....

there has been a pretty hard shift from grinding STFs to... just doing your dailies thanx to the Reputation System.

before i played 6 or 12 STFs back to back, that was evening and sometimes night filling fun for me

but now... it is just another "daily" thing to finish the reputation system,
i'm done with it by now (on all 10 characters) and i have a really hard time, mentally, going back into grinding mode to get those 15000 Borg Marks needed for the Set Items on all my Chars.

Also the various EliteSTF channels have slowed down just enough that i really can not play more than 2 STFs back to back... and Ground STFs are just completely dead now.

...on the other hand, maybe i should hurry up and grind through the missing Set pieces before they decide to make the rewards worse again.
Career Officer
# 6
02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
I've got 17 hours left on cooldown on my rep system contributions.

I've got anywhere between 10 and 59 minutes on cooldowns on my STFs.

As I look at these cooldowns, I find myself wondering something.

Does Cryptic actually want me to log off and play another game? Cooldown timers that take nearly a day? Isn't that counter to the concept of MMO's?

Am I missing something?

Welcome to Restrictions: Online
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
# 7
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
20 hour Reputation timers:

They don't want people who have more time than others to be racing through the reputations. In universe, it would take time to build up reputation with a group, and it wouldn't make sense that they'd need more supplies right after you just gave them some. Gameplay wise, they don't want to make it seem like you have to grind hours every day until you max out your reputation. That's no fun, and some compulsive people (like me) would feel compelled to try if we could. By restricting it, it allows people to want to log in once per day to do it (and while they're on, maybe they'll do something else too) but not feel pressured that if they skip a day, they lost out on a lot.

Personally, I like long timers. It feels like I'm getting stuff done as fast as anyone else possibly can, but still allows me lots of time to fool around with stuff like the Foundry, replay missions for fun, or work on other things like doffs.

1 hour STF timers:

Most people have a favorite STF, but Cryptic doesn't really want a player to just play one STF over and over without break. A person would be more likely to get bored, and complain about the grind. That already happens of course, but it would be even worse. By adding a timer, it forces people to consider other STFs to get some variety. Even if a person chooses just to wait out the timer, it's likely they'll do something else in the meantime and experience different parts of the game.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
20 hour Reputation timers:

Most people have a favorite STF, but Cryptic doesn't really want a player to just play one STF over and over without break. A person would be more likely to get bored, and complain about the grind. That already happens of course, but it would be even worse. By adding a timer, it forces people to consider other STFs to get some variety. Even if a person chooses just to wait out the timer, it's likely they'll do something else in the meantime and experience different parts of the game.
Yes, because we are not old enough to decide what we want to do. Our daddy (Cryptic), according to ur post, got to decide for us, so we, brainless children, don't get bored doing the same over and over, since we don't have the ability to think: "Ok, I did this 10 times, now I'm bored of it, I'm going to do a different mission".

I am sorry for the sarcasm but come on! I have enough brain to decide I want to repeat 45 times the same thing or not. I do not need someone to force me to do things I dont want to do for "my own good". I'm not complaining about Cryptic but about ur explanation of the timers.

The only reason for the 20hours is that STO do not have enough content to keep us busy. Without the waiting we would max everything in one week.

Last edited by wirtdd; 02-19-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Captain
# 9
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirtdd View Post
Yes, because we are not old enough to decide what we want to do. Our daddy (Cryptic), according to ur post, got to decide for us, so we, brainless children, don't get bored doing the same over and over, since we don't have the ability to think: "Ok, I did this 10 times, now I'm bored of it, I'm going to do a different mission".
As sarcastic as this is, it's right.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 10
02-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Meh.

You've worked hard. Now go enjoy something else The game will be here when you get back.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene