Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 SSR Interviews Goatshark
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
In a recent interview, Subspace Radio sat down to talk with Lead Content Designer Scott "Goatshark" Shicoff. Listen to the recording, and read the transcript, here.

Link to the interview.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 2
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Wait tiger sharks don't hunt tigers...
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
finally got a chance to listen, cool insight into things for sure
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 4
02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Nifty info and thanks for a transcript.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Empire Veteran
# 5
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
One thing I'd really like to see with game content design is getting away from the hit F key and kil ## of ## npcs. It was kind of a good start with the dps racing but then that put 2/3 of the fed ships and a smaller fraction of the KDF on the you never seen in combat unless its some new player who is just trying to play the kind of ship they love the most.

Just my opinion but the mini game angle to me would be the best angle and even non combat kits to do stuff. If you are an engineer and the warp core is about to breech (if there is a possibility its not going to go critical just yet) and you got the tools in your kit to fix it yeah that would be something I would think. To me the best angle for my view after reading this which didn't tell me much about content design in the game other than what I already have learned beforehand. Biggest area I think is Bridges, Mini Games, non combat kits because its not in every Star Trek moment where you gotta kill someone or something to get the job done and it beats hitting the F key over and over and over... and over and say thats just phases
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Anyone else notice the aquarium music in the background?
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
02-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Good interview, and mr. Goatshark probably helped it by being so relaxed.
Captain
# 8
02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
One thing I'd really like to see with game content design is getting away from the hit F key and kil ## of ## npcs. It was kind of a good start with the dps racing but then that put 2/3 of the fed ships and a smaller fraction of the KDF on the you never seen in combat unless its some new player who is just trying to play the kind of ship they love the most.

Just my opinion but the mini game angle to me would be the best angle and even non combat kits to do stuff. If you are an engineer and the warp core is about to breech (if there is a possibility its not going to go critical just yet) and you got the tools in your kit to fix it yeah that would be something I would think. To me the best angle for my view after reading this which didn't tell me much about content design in the game other than what I already have learned beforehand. Biggest area I think is Bridges, Mini Games, non combat kits because its not in every Star Trek moment where you gotta kill someone or something to get the job done and it beats hitting the F key over and over and over... and over and say thats just phases
Couldn't agree more. Filling up space with dialogue that isn't even a real game mechanic is not content.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
02-27-2013, 11:21 PM
TacehT: Exactly, so then on the average, how long does it take an episode from scratch? Or at least an episode mission?

GoatShark: It kind of varies, from you know, depending on the complexity of the episode, or what we're doing and of course, featured episodes tend to be more longer and more involved. You know they'll have more cut-scenes and therefore they will need more voice recording. So, what we will try to do is, we do a very iterative process, so, there will be a kickoff where all the people involved in making the episode will all understand what it's going to take, the designers and the artists will start white-boxing, building it out, we'll do some play tests, we'll iterate some more, we/ll do some more play tests, iterate, play test, iterate play test, and them ultimately we will say - okay, everything's good - we'll do any last bits to polish and we'll ship it. That can take anywhere from 10 to 20 days just depending on the complexity and the level of depth we're trying to build into it.

So, the whole content design team needs about 1 month to build a mission? That sounds highly inefficient...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Career Officer
# 10
02-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Nice, relaxed interview. Really enjoyed listening to it.

Thanks

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK