Captain
Hey, all -

Running a Fleet Assault Cruiser on a tac, reached T5 Omega rep not too long ago.

As such I'd like to ask a question that I've not gotten many opinions on in chat. I'm considering one of four loadouts for the shields/deflector/engines on this thing, and since I don't have tons of time to grind right now I'd like thoughts on the following combinations:

* MACO shields, Borg engines, Borg deflector
* MACO shields, Borg engines, MACO deflector
* MACO shields, MACO engines, Borg deflector
* MACO 3-piece

All of these are at Mk XII. I am strongly biased in favor of the MACO shields/Borg engines/Borg deflector, because that's what I've run on two other toons with decent success, but I'm not sure it's optimal. That said, the three-piece extra for the MACO set doesn't strike me as very useful at all, especially since I don't have any non-defense science skill spec'd at all.

I'm also considering (perhaps insanely) if it would be worthwhile to attempt a regular MACO/adapted MACO hybrid of some kind, although as with the earlier set pieces, I would probably be sticking with the regular MACO shields.

As such, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Commander
# 2
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Hey, all -

Running a Fleet Assault Cruiser on a tac, reached T5 Omega rep not too long ago.

As such I'd like to ask a question that I've not gotten many opinions on in chat. I'm considering one of four loadouts for the shields/deflector/engines on this thing, and since I don't have tons of time to grind right now I'd like thoughts on the following combinations:

* MACO shields, Borg engines, Borg deflector
* MACO shields, Borg engines, MACO deflector
* MACO shields, MACO engines, Borg deflector
* MACO 3-piece

All of these are at Mk XII. I am strongly biased in favor of the MACO shields/Borg engines/Borg deflector, because that's what I've run on two other toons with decent success, but I'm not sure it's optimal. That said, the three-piece extra for the MACO set doesn't strike me as very useful at all, especially since I don't have any non-defense science skill spec'd at all.

I'm also considering (perhaps insanely) if it would be worthwhile to attempt a regular MACO/adapted MACO hybrid of some kind, although as with the earlier set pieces, I would probably be sticking with the regular MACO shields.

As such, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Personally, I generally use the M.A.C.O. shield with the Assimilated Sub-Transwarp Engines and Assimilated Deflector. I'm noticeably tankier with that combo then when using the M.A.C.O. set.

U.S.S. Mary Celeste
Career Officer
# 3
02-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Borg Engines are pretty much hands down better. Slightly faster flight speed, way better turn rate, and +5 to engines. Only thing MACO has that it doesn't is the boost to Driver Coil (who cares?) and the Aux thrusters for if your engines get knocked out.

Deflector is a bit tougher call. They both do the same 26.2 to Structural Integrity and 17.5 to Inertial Dampers and Graviton Generator. Differences are Borg gives +5 to Aux power and 26.2 to Power Insulators, where MACO gives 17.5 to Shield Emitters and Shield System, and 8.8 to Electro-Plasma System.

Overall, it seems the Borg would help more with hull since it boosts your hull HP and provides the hull healing proc when paired with the Engine, and +5 Aux would give skills like TSS and HE a little more oomph. MACO would boost your shields a bit and its 2-set bonus gives a bit of the Power Insulator boost and a 5% boost to power recharge. I'm inclined to say the Borg is the way to go since its hull healing proc is more noticably useful than the MACO set bonus, and the +5 Aux will still help you tank a bit even without the shield boosts from MACO. Having your Power Insulators skill bumped up never hurts either, especially against Borg or Breen. It's really up to what matters more for your build though.
Lieutenant
# 4
02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Adapted maco shields/impulse + fleet deflector

Depending if u want the 2 piece set of maco for the projectile damage buff, +8ish aux and some other ****, otherwise ya go use borg.

Last edited by joshmaaaaaaans; 02-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Captain
# 5
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
It would be here that I would recommend the 2 piece maco 2 piece borg, but that was removed... so it all depends. At this point I just run full MACO because I like the relays, and the MACO deflector is vastly superior to the Assimilated one in tankiness (and I love my SIF field being stupidly strong), but as overall bonuses go, the MACO 3 piece bonus is a joke, so I would recommend the 2 piece borg MACO shield combo.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 6
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I used to run with the MK XII MACO shields/delfector an the MK XI Borg engines. And then I got the full Adapted MACO set. Aside from the somewhat ok 3 pc ability, the adapted version of the KHG engines at MK XII is pretty good as it gives power bonuses to weapons, shields, and aux. Plus it does a hot restart if the engines are disabled.

I also like the 2 pc set bonus for Adapted MACO: Tac Readiness. Who wouldn't want 25% more torp damage and crew resistance?

If you can get Adapted MACO, try the Def/Engine combo and get the regular MACO shield at MK XII. Or just try full on the Adapted MACO set.

I've tried it on my Sovy Refit and it's pretty nice... just get an MK XII RCS console or the Tachyokinetic Console for added turn rate. I ran with the Romulan Plasma 3 pc set with Romulan plasma beam arrays plus the Borg 3 pc set. Nice.

Last edited by coffeemike; 02-19-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Didn't know he already stated he commands a Fleet Sovy
Career Officer
# 7
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
It would be here that I would recommend the 2 piece maco 2 piece borg, but that was removed... so it all depends. At this point I just run full MACO because I like the relays, and the MACO deflector is vastly superior to the Assimilated one in tankiness (and I love my SIF field being stupidly strong), but as overall bonuses go, the MACO 3 piece bonus is a joke, so I would recommend the 2 piece borg MACO shield combo.
So why not fly the MACO shield and deflector with the Borg engines? You still get the Magneto-plasma relays, and the Borg engines are much more nimble. Is it just to have the thrusters that the Borg engines lack?
Commander
# 8
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Why not toss this in:

MACO shield and Omega engines+deflector! Tetryon glider with some decent flow capacitors, ftw.
__________________________________________________ __
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.
Captain
# 9
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
First, thanks for all the responses.

Second, a question - if I were to get two Adapted pieces, does Tactical Readiness actually translate to +7 AUX? Because the engines, if I recall from my KDF correctly, once equipped, basically give an extremely forgettable bonus to power levels (if I recall correctly, 0 for weapons and 1.2 for shields, forget what for aux), so it's not so much a boost to power as it is a boost to efficiency, which... doesn't help all that much.

Also, are the power bonus and torpedo bonus persistent and passive, or do they have to be triggered/have a cooldown?

Thanks again for any help!
Commander
# 10
02-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Also, are the power bonus and torpedo bonus persistent and passive, or do they have to be triggered/have a cooldown?
It's a passive bonus just like a tac console. No trigger, no cool down, always active.

U.S.S. Mary Celeste