Captain
# 181
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
But you have a poit about him being a Trill-Human hybrid. It was never said that it was impossible in the series iirc.
In "Children of Time," Yedrin Dax was actually implied to be a Trill-human hybrid. In his case he was still capable of joining, but there's no reason Quinn couldn't be one too but have a human surname and consider himself more affiliated with human culture than Trill. (Don't get me started on the odious logic Trek sometimes seems to apply to those who have just a little bit of alien blood...)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Lt. Commander
# 182
03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I missed the deadline by minutes, I'm going to need more concrete times as to when BranFlakes is going to close the old challenge and start a new one.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5629511#post5629511

Literary Challenges Entries- Star Trek Online: Lord English
Dramatis Personae of Star Trek Online: Lord English

Last edited by zidanetribal; 03-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Captain
# 183
03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
It's OK, zidane...I still read yours.

I have a Liberated Borg like that on one of my crews, too, who has a fully intact human personality despite a completely cybernetic appearance. Man, if Commander Redmond EVER got called by her Borg designation, she'd be furious. And in the case of another Liberated Borg, might well smack the offender. I can hear how that dialogue would go.

"Cursing is irrelevant, [Redacted] of [Redacted]."

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!!! Now take that designation and SHOVE IT UP YOUR EXHAUST PIPE and don't let it ever crawl back out!"

(And picture a Borg in full cybernetic armor yelling her head off like that.)

Sabrina handles the really awful situation--especially considering the Borg in question is her grandfather--incredibly well, in my opinion. Serving on the same ship with him must be extremely trying.

When the plot began...oh, my...I like the Kafka tribute in Lee's first thoughts, though I am very glad you didn't go in the really sick direction Kafka did, and that more compassion was shown to the transformed.

For some reason, I really liked the blue cat! I almost wonder if I'd been transformed that way, and still kept my consciousness, if I'd wish afterwards for the ability to go back and forth between those two forms at will for the fun of it!

As for what transformed the crew--did the Borg try to assimilate a Founder? That's what I found myself wondering...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Lt. Commander
# 184
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Looks like I just missed or made the deadline, depending on your point of view. I decided to go with a different perspective on the challenge. I decided not to read anyone else's entries to keep from skewing my writing (which was a good decision I guess, these are really really good!) until I was completed. I had to do some research because I'm not 100% familiar with the Borg mythos, and I'm still not entirely happy - the drones thoughts sound more like a computer than a Borg, whatever that means. Comments appreciated on my first entry.
Lt. Commander
# 185
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
@gulberat: You are correct, the cause of the transformation was indeed a Borg assimilation of a Founder. I was wondering what the effect Borg assimilation would have on a Founder when I was writing the story, since there isn't much data on mixing the two. I assumed nanoprobes would gain shapeshifting powers somehow.

Originally I was going to cling harder to a Kafkaesque story, but as the story progressed, the focus changed to Borg Science officer and C-Store Liberated Borg Engineer. They end up serving on the same ship because of kismet or whatever, but mostly because their commanding officer finds it a source of dramatic entertainment, though he'll deny it if you ask him.

As for your story, I found it very touching at the end when Strannik ended his conversation with Gul Tassok and became philosophical. It'd warrant a sequel or a follow-up detailing the drone's recovery process, if a future challenge went in that direction.

@moronwmachinegun: This was an interesting read especially as the action moved towards the end. Is this the same USS Biko as from The Next Generation? It seems like it lends itself to further stories, or perhaps as a pilot to a new series.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5629511#post5629511

Literary Challenges Entries- Star Trek Online: Lord English
Dramatis Personae of Star Trek Online: Lord English

Last edited by zidanetribal; 03-05-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Captain
# 186
03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
While I doubt I'd actually be writing a story at the Draylon rehabilitation facility, I would not be surprised if Alyosha speaks to Gul Tassok once in a while to find out how things are going.

Captain
# 187
03-05-2013, 03:36 PM
@ Zidanetribal: Fantastic concept of an assimilated Founder, a fun read

@ Moronwmachinegun: I loved being able to read the drone's thoughts, and its mode of operation
Captain
# 188
03-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
@marcus

ty! I thought about it, but decided against the idea because it would have been difficult to come up with a reason as too why other than "I don't really like you all that much." But, as usual, ty for the suggestion.
No worries As always, I'm looking forward to seeing your next entry

Re Admiral Quinn... Could it be that he is a full Trill, and 'Quinn' is simply the name of his symbiont? Afterall, 'Kahn' is a Human name, but was also the name of a symbiont...
Captain
# 189
03-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Sure, it's possible. That said, I've decided in my next LC entry, I'm going to run with the idea of his being a Trill-Human hybrid. I can't spoil how yet, but it fits with what I've got planned.

Captain
# 190
03-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Re Admiral Quinn... Could it be that he is a full Trill, and 'Quinn' is simply the name of his symbiont? Afterall, 'Kahn' is a Human name, but was also the name of a symbiont...
Well, phonetic coincidences do happen. My suggestion is to think it over while having a nice relaxing Ouisghian Zodah...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts