Career Officer
# 1 Cyptic, stop using my artwork.
06-10-2013, 04:15 AM
*** MODS PLEASE ESCALATE ***

I recenty found out you are using one of my art pieces as concept art for your game. The forum post in which it is being used is http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=866911&cpage=4 (It is in the background of the final image before comments, titled as 'Concept Art' ).

The background is in fact a digital painting i did back in 2004 entitled 'Beyond Horizons' the original of which can be found here: http://hameed.deviantart.com/art/Bey...rizons-6738517 (I believe the crop may have been taken from the wallpaper editition downloadable via description)

As the rights holders of the image and as a professional digital artist of more than a decade with a speciality in space/scifi art I was pretty astonished although somewhat flattered that you chose to use my work, although i fail to understand what made you think you where allowed to do so, since the image is obviously copyrighted and you never approached me for permission.

My rights in the matter are naturally quite clear, the only reason i am here in the forums and not mailing my lawyer in this case is that i have been a lifetime subscriber of the game for some months, and despite its various issues, am a big fan of it.

Please consider this a slap on the wrist, and please warn your design team not to use my work, and to be more careful when choosing concept art for publication.

Yours Sincerely.
Hameed Nawaz.
http://hameed.deviantart.com

Cry havoc, and let slip the tribbles of war!
Republic Veteran
# 2
06-10-2013, 04:35 AM
Looks like they rotated it and zoomed in.

edit. yes looks exactly as downloadable wallpaper.
2010 is my join date.
Commander
# 3
06-10-2013, 04:55 AM
You've been using the internet for how long, and you think posting on a video game forum is going to accomplish anything? More to the point, you think that PWE is going to ever admit to wrongdoing? If you want to point out that PWE and/or Cryptic are two-faced hypocrites to a few dozen people, more power to you, I guess, but if you want any kind of real response, you should cut to the chase and contact your lawyer.

Pretty nice painting, though.
Career Officer
# 4
06-10-2013, 07:17 AM
http://imgur.com/YjWu8hl

I'm inclined to agree with infinitespaces
----
Commander
# 5
06-10-2013, 07:30 AM
The suggestion about contacting your lawyer is sound. If they are passing off something you made as theirs then it's a legal matter.

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester
Career Officer
# 6
06-10-2013, 07:49 AM
From the 'Terms of Service' document...
Quote:
12. Designation of Agent to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement of Copyright(s). DMCA Notices.

If you believe that anything on the Site infringes upon any copyright which you own or control, you may file a notification of such infringement to the contact information set below:

Address: 101 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 400, Redwood City, CA 94065
Telephone Number: 650-590-7700
Facsimile (Fax) Number: 650-591-1211
Electronic Mail Address (Email): dmca@perfectworld.com

We may give notice of a claim of copyright infringement to our users by means of a general notice on the Site, electronic mail to a user's email address in our records, or by written communication sent by first-class mail to a user's address in our records.
http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
06-10-2013, 08:04 AM
if u didnt want people to use it why post it online. if ur that upset about it, dont make it avaible to millions.

personaly i think cryptic should use something from hubble. and not some crap they found online.
Career Officer
# 8
06-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
From the 'Terms of Service' document...

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
In which case, regardless of the perspicuity of the allegation, posting it on the forums may have been a little insouciant on the OP's part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
# 9
06-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
if u didnt want people to use it why post it online. if ur that upset about it, dont make it avaible to millions.

personaly i think cryptic should use something from hubble. and not some crap they found online.

"Crap"? I would like to see you create something half as good. As an Artist myself I understand that the internet is the new way to get your art availabe for people to see. Any artist that wants to be successful has to use the internet for exposure. To say that because he made it available to be seen online he desirves to have it stolen, and re-used by a company to make money off of with out paying him or asking for his permission is what he gets is stupid and very trollish. You are the very defination of "Hater"

Last edited by redsnake721; 06-10-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 10
06-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Are they the same?

If I look at the small moon under the star in the upper right of the STO pic, I see a similar star in your artwork. However, the 3 bright stars under that in the STO pic are not present in yours. Also, the ring around the star in your pic is not present in the STO pic.

Can you do an overlay that lines up?
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Closed Thread