Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 06:17 AM
got exactly the same problem with win xp x64, and ati 5770
ive got the last official 9.12 drivers, but the window keeps coming up saying that its not, and if i force it run in default it crashes... if i choose the stable version it works though
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 06:23 AM
I just tried an older driver but it didnt help.
@SteppenRazor do you have a Nvidia card?
If yes it might be an ATI related problem as there are only ATI user here with that issue.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm having the same issue. XPx64 with an ATI 3870 HD card. Latest 9.12 drivers.

The problem is that I can't play it at all now, I told the game to remember my settings and told it to just go for defauts.

The loading screen works, Cryptic logo, Atari logo, Star Trek logo. Then I get a black screen, playing music, with the "Out of date driver" message in the bottom right.

I'm so upset.

[edit]

If like me, you're a complete dork and you've done the above, you can delete the Star Trek Online/Live/Localdata/Gameprefs.pref file and the game will ask you again.

[edit]

Okay, with telling the launcher to go for lowest settings I was able to get to the menu. I of course can't login for a couple of hours till the login servers are back up, but the 3D menu thing looked okay while it was there.

I managed to use the options menu to creep all the settings up to max, restarted, and told the launcher to use "defaults".
Instead of defaulting my settings it seems to keep what I told it to go for and the 3D menu works, but much prettier.

How odd.
Lt. Commander
# 14 no install
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
it won't even install for me, freezes or restarts. i tend to agree that i might have other issues, but the computer is brand new. i'm a little irritated
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I have the exact same issue here with some crossfired HD4770 ATI cards.

On certain away missions or stations the STO client will freeze, yet my mouse will still work, and I can hear ventrilo in the background, and seconds later the entire system freezes. It requires a physical reboot to get it going again.

Strangely enough I have no problem in space, and have only ever crashed once in comparison to the near 20+ I've had to restart my PC for away missions.

(Windows 7) 9.11 Catalyst drivers here as well. No other games freeze, it's just STO for the moment. Hope Cryptic fix it
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istrix View Post
is anyone else having issues loading the client on an XP x64 system?

it's crashing my entire system to either a frozen screen or reboot with out even a BSOD warning.

am I alone?
Is your problem similar to the OP on this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4113n4ng31 View Post
I have the exact same issue here with some crossfired HD4770 ATI cards.

On certain away missions or stations the STO client will freeze, yet my mouse will still work, and I can hear ventrilo in the background, and seconds later the entire system freezes. It requires a physical reboot to get it going again.

Strangely enough I have no problem in space, and have only ever crashed once in comparison to the near 20+ I've had to restart my PC for away missions.

(Windows 7) 9.11 Catalyst drivers here as well. No other games freeze, it's just STO for the moment. Hope Cryptic fix it
My machine used to do the same thing, freeze and then a bluescreen. Now it just immediately shuts down. Check the thread I linked above for more info on the problems I am also having...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-13-2010, 04:23 PM
No my PC isn't shutting down, it's locking up. It has nothing to do with overheating because the system I have set up is inside an Antec P193 case. It's purely some kind of problem the client has with ATI cards, and until it's sorted, there's not much point in playing.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
XP x64 user having problemas as well. Launcher crashes on start up.. giving an OLE error...

OR...

Launcher starts and stays in background.. never appearing in open applications.. but with a process running.

I would be your situation is the second. And the PC starts freezing, because you try to open a second client.
Try opening your Task Manager... to see if this is the problem.